• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • @Tomreaper: "On my way to.. that one town, i ran into one of the pokemon that i used in my kanto run! my good friend nidoran! ... Both of them! So now it looks like i have royalty again! ... Except i can't get a moon stone till kanto, i believe, so i'll just use them till i find better pokes.."

You can get a moon stone in Tohjo falls with just surf (it lays at the johto side)

really.. now i might have to consider training one of them.. thanks Jespoke!

last update til the elite four..

Spoiler:

My current team...

BloodSucka/Crobat
    Level 49

-Leech Life
    -Wing Attack
    -Fly
    -Bite

Bomb/Weezing
    Level 45

-Tackle
    -Haze
    -Explosion
    -Sludge

Puffer/Qwilfish
    Level 45

-Waterfall
    -Icy Wind
    -Surf
    -Minimize

Spyder/Ariados
    Level 50

-Poison Sting
    -Nightshade
    -Fury Swipes
    -Leech Life

last update of the night.. don't like double posting...

Here it is, The Elite Four & Champion fights!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

My Current Team...

Bomb/Weezing
    Level 55

-Tackle
    -Destiny Bond
    -Explosion
    -Sludge

Spyder/Ariados
    Level 55

-Screech
    -Night Shade
    -Fury Swipes
    -Leech Life

Puffer/Qwilfish
    Level 55

-Waterfall
    -Icy Wind
    -Surf
    -Minimize

BloodSucka/Crobat
    Level 57

-Leech Life
    -Wing Attack
    -Fly
    -Bite

I have a question...
    When i'm done with this challenge, could i start a steel challenge, but use magnemite for blue? He does become a steel type in gen 2, but i'm not going to do anything without your permission.

Last edited:

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    @Tomreaper "I got tired of wasting my pokeballs on pokemon that can't learn waterfall, so i just taught it to qwilfish, hoping it will be better than takedown.."

With a water STAB, Waterfall is 120 base and Take Down is 90 base with recoil

SgtPatches

i has a beard
    Years
  • UPDATE

Things that have happened:

-Caught a Bellsprout as an HM slave to use both Flash and Cut
    -Made my way through Rock Tunnel while leveling up
    -Showed up in the Celadon Game Corner and infiltrated the Rocket Hideout
    -Fought Giovanni. Giovanni's Onix and Rhyhorn couldn't hold a candle to my Charmeleon. Since Charmeleon had been tired out by all the other trainers in Rocket Hideout, I switched to Fearow to battle his Kangaskhan, bringing her down with a few Leers and a couple of Fury Attacks.

Celadon Gym:
    I knew that for this monotype challenge I would have absolutely no trouble with this gym. As I pillaged the trainers in this gym, Charmeleon learned Flamethrower. Erika was no trouble at all. My Pidgeotto took down Victreebel with one Wing Attack, and Tangela fell to Golbat's Wing Attack as well. Charmeleon took down Vileplume with one hit of his Flamethrower, ending the battle very quickly.

I'm enjoying this more and more.

Team:
    Charmeleon, 34
    Gyarados, 29
    Pidgeotto, 28
    Fearow, 27
    Butterfree, 29
    Golbat, 27

Years
  • Thanks jespoke! glad i didn't get rid of it..

Kanto in this final update for gen 2!

On the boat, i fought every trainer in every room, and found his daughter quickly. After i got off the boat, i went straight to to Lt Surge.

The battle started off good. Raichu went down easily by Spyder. A few nightshades and fury swipes and it was done. He sent out his electabuz next. same stratehie, except it hit me a few more time than raichu, because i was paralyzed. Electrode was next. I tried to do the same, but it just didin't work. After two hits, Spyder went down. I had to finish the jub with Bomb. A sludge and it was done. His next pokemon, a magneton. I switche out for crobat, since he was the one who would inflict the most damage. He too magneton out, but was almost dead his last pokemon elctrode, finished crobat. it also used double team a few times.i had to send out Bomb, so he could finish it. It didn't work so well, so i was gonna use destiny bond, since qwilfish was still up, but he used explosion before i had a chance.. oh. I won.

I picked up psychic from mr. psychic and taught it to Spyder, in return for screech.

I went into sabrinas gym, not caring what happened with Lt. Surge. I probably should've been worried, considering she had the type advantage and all.. But it didn't matter. Spyder kill her first 2 pokemon, Espeon and mr. mime with leech life, and crobat took out alakazam because Spyder was weakend for the other 2. Extremely easy battle.

Went to Celadon and surfed in the mans pond where grimers appear at. Caught it with my master ball.. Like before :P
    Time to grind. Beat the elite four to help grimer out, and got the EXP. Share from Mr.Pokemon.

Erika was easy. First, i used Spyder and used leech life, then i switched to crobat and used wing attack one the rest of her pokemon. Easy battle.

I had to go allll the way back to goldenrod to get a bike, then i accidently found janine..

Janine didn't take much. just tackle and wing attack, basically.

Used slowpoke for flash slave, and made my way to cerlean.

Found the rocket with the part to the thing.. beat him easily

Misty was no problem. I really just used qwilfish and crobat. nothing special about it

Brock was destroyed. Used qwilfish and Muk, who got his first taste of an actual battle.

Blaine was easier than brock. just used waterfall the whole time

Blue was easier than i expected. I thought he would destroy my team, but i killed his easily. The only one i had trouble with was his gyarados, and thats because zap cannons low accuracy.. Gonna have to drop muk.. oh well

Spoiler:

My Final Team...

Spyder/Ariados
    Level 65

-Psychic
    -Night Shade
    -Fury Swipes
    -Leech Seed
    Spyder was very helpful throughout this whole run. Leech life is a good attack, believe it or not. That attack took out most of Sabrina's pokemon and helped with Will's, too! Sadly, this is the last time i can use one of my favorite bug pokemon for this challenge, i believe.

BloodSucka/Crobat
    Level 65

-Steel Wing
    -Wing Attack
    -Fly
    -Bite
    Blood Sucka was one of the most useful pokemon on my team. This was the first time I've ever evolved a pokemon through happiness! I haven't even done it on my heart gold game! I really only used 2 of his attacks. Bite, and Wing Attack. Those were the only 2 that i actually needed. Fly was for easier transportation, and Steel Wing was just a filler. Honestly, I got sick of using Golbats from the blue run. But Crobat was different. I might use him next gen, if he's even there(i bet he is).

Bomb/Weezing
    Level 65

-Return
    -Destiny Bond
    -Explosion
    -Sludge
    Bomb was my last resort pokemon. When i was in danger of losing, i sent him out. Just revive one of my pokes, and finish with either destiny bond, or explosion. He's been on my team twice, technically, and has been a useful asset to it each time. I don't think he appears in gen. 3, so this must be where we say, au revoir(Weezing always stuck me as a frech-like pokemon. Makes me proud to be part french).

Puffer/Qwilfish
    Level 65

-Waterfall
    -Rollout
    -Minimize
    -Surf
    Puffer was a great comrade. I really didn't expect him to be as good as he actually was. He helped me get out of many sticky situations. I was especially surprised when he single-handedly took out red's pikachu! He took many gym leaders out by his lonesome. Never, did i expect such a big impact, in such a small, 1ft 8in package. He will be missed, along with the rest of my team, in my favorite generation.

I've never actually played through all of the 3rd or 4th generations, so i don't know which pokemon are gonna pop up, or what ill be doing. I need to either get a rom for the 4th, or my friend need to find his so he can give it to me(he said he would a looong time ago, since he never plays it anymore.)
    Well, see you guys in gen. 3!

Years
  • Derblu's update

Not much going on here, I kinda sped through half the game. I had to overlevel my Parasect (Fun-Guy), and I'm really happy that I finally have my Scyther (Reaper) and Venonat (Toxim).

I haven't technically fought Erica yet, but I can any time I want. I just wanted to get the rest of my team before I fought her.

I can't really be bothered to put pictures and such about my team, sorry, RFLG is probably my least favourite pokémon game (after Colosseum and XD).

I promise to be more enthusiastic when I make it to Johto, my favourite region! XD

jespoke

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    @Tomreaper "I've never actually played through all of the 3rd or 4th generations, so i don't know which pokemon are gonna pop up, or what ill be doing"

Just ask, i know everything about pokemon locations and moves (and many more things)

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Gulpin is available just before the 3rd gym, and a surprisingly versatile Pokemon. Roselia is around if you want a Grass-type, but it's rare and lacks power, you're probably better off catching an Oddish (which are on the same route as Gulpin). Seviper, the only other 3rd-gen Poison type, is a must-have, and available, IIRC, just after the 4th gym (or possibly just before).

Years
  • thanks guys
    i've never really played the whole game, so i'm gonna be kinda lost through it...
    but now i know i can get weezing again, so it's all good :)

First update for this region.. it's just a small one. nothing big

Started my hoenn adventure! I chose Torchic as my starter, because mudkip turns into a ground type, and i enjoy the challenge :)

Ran into a surskit, which most of the people doing the bug challnge struggle to find, i found it on my first try..

Caught a wurmple, and, luckily, it evolved into a cascoon! my first poison type in this region..

Got Mothy to level 10, so he could become a Dustox.. this one.. is gonna take a loooong time :\

Last edited:
    Years
  • Thanks to the wonders of the internet, i have a crystal rom and can finally do this the RIGHT way.

-started with totodile, which i dont plan to use on my team, but will use for HMs
    -headed to mr. pokemons
    -saw a shiny spinarak!!!!
    -got the egg
    -headed back, beating rival along the way
    -named rival... cant remember atm
    -headed out, caught a poliwag
    -raised it on the way to violet
    saved at voilet, to tired to play anymore
    Current Team

Poliwag (lvl 7)
    -Bubble
    -Hypnosis

HM Slaves
    Totodile

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2010
    HAI
    I'ma love water types and i think it would be real fun to try this out
    i'll use a few emulators (LG) and maybe 3rd gen.
    but i'm going to start with Leaf Green so...

Later until my next post!!!

Years
  • Update #2
    -Skipped the sprout tower
    -beat Faulkner
    -Headed South to Union Cave
    -Made it to Azalea, visited Kurt
    -Caught a Slowpoke
    -Beat the Rockets
    -Beat my Rival
    -Beat Bugsy
    -Got HM01
    -Made way through the woods
    -Beat trainers on the way to Goldenrod and saved there.
    Current Team

Poliwag (lvl 22)
    -Bubble
    -Hypnosis
    -Water Gun
    -Double Slap

Slowpoke (lvl 16)
    -Headbutt
    -Water Gun
    -Curse
    -Swift

HM Slaves
    Totodile: Cut

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2012
    Electric challenge

I've started an electric challenge on yellow. I've just beaten Brock, It took ages., next is Misty should be fun.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2012
    just beat the kanto elite 4, green was soo tough. here are my poke:

Venusar (level 51)
    - Razor Leaf
    - Sleep Powder
    - Earthquake
    - Leech Seed

Parasect (level 49)
    - Aerial Ace
    - Spore
    - Slash
    - Dig

Vileplume (level 50)
    - Petal Dance
    - Sleep Powder
    - Secret Power
    - Moonlight

Victreebel (level 51)
    - Razor Leaf
    - Sleep Powder
    - Double-Edge
    - Growth

Exeggutor (level 50)
    - Psychic
    - Sleep Powder
    - Giga Drain
    - Leech Seed

I won green thanks to 2 criticals, victreebel's double-edge on gyarados and exeggutor's psychic on charizard. I could not have won otherwise. Guess it on to gold version now.

Years
  • lack of strong moves forces me to spam confusion on all my eniemies. I took out the team aqua member easily, and made my way to rustboro

My first attempt to fight roxanne, she pretty much destroyed me with he nosepass.. i grinded alil and challenged her again. Holy crap, Dustox is terrible. After about five tries, i finally beat roxanne. I just spammed confusion on her since tackle and gust wouldn't do crap. I bothered me how she alwasy healed geodude with her potions, even though it's her weakest. After geodude almost killed me with rock tomb, leaving me with 4 hp, i spammed moonlight for 3 turns, i gi\ot to full health, while she used harden, and i spammed confusion again, winning the battle. Don't really like dustox :\

Have to retrieve some item from a team aqua member.. took him out easy, and returned the package to the guy

After a short break, i started again, to catch a zubat! The bad thing is, i have to train him at the gym, because he'll need help either way until we get back to the mainland. Brawly.. was easy, thanks to dustox! i though that dustox was goning to be completely useless through out the whole game(doubt in bug pokemon :P), be he turned out to be pretty strong for this gym! 2 confusions took out brawlys machop, and same with his makuhita. easy battle, thanks to dustox :) still don't think ill keep him though..

I ran through granite cave, delivered the letter, and went back to the people who asked me to do so, and got the exp. share! leveling up zubat got alil bit easier.

I sailed to slateport, and saw that it had a line of team aqua members at the muesum, or whatever the building was. I disregared it for the moment, and went to the next route. on said route, i found a gulpin! my team's starting to fill in..

Gulpin turned into my strongest pokemon already. sludge is one of my favorite poison moves, just because of how bad it owns. the only thing i might put in its place is, sludge bomb :D

I defeated the aqua members and made my way to mauville

I ran into my rival with my weak pokemon, because of previous battles, and she defeated me. I HATE paralyzing moves..

After a small grinding session, i beat her, with her fainting only gulpin(marshtop sucks :\ )

I made it to mauville, and grinded on the path to the left until my team reached 25. Now, the gym leader, Wattson

When in the gym, half his trainers didn't even have electric types! why?

Wattson demolished my team the first time. None of my attacks can deal good damage against the magnemite or magneton..

Wattson has to be the most RIDICULOUS gym leader ever. It's completely stupid how he always uses a super potion when his pokes are almost gone. I had to evolve gulpin AND i taught him rock smash. To beat ONE stupid fat gym leader.. i normally like electric types. Wattson, i hate him. I used body slam to paralyze his pokemon (taste of his one medicine..) and spammed rocksmash until he dies.

I went back and caught a second gulpin, because i didn't want rocksmash in its movepool. I also caught a grimer, and now searching for a koffing

I gave up on koffing, since he has a unbearably low encounter rate to me. I'm grinding, so i'll just end the update right now (3 days worth O.o )

Too irritated to keep playing :\

Slime/Grimer
    Level 19

-Pound
    -Minimize
    -Disable
    -Sludge

Stomach/Gulpin
    Level 15

-Pound
    -Yawn
    -Poison Gas
    -Sludge

Fang/Golbat
    Level 30

-Leech Life
    -Confuse Ray
    -Bite
    -Wing Attack

Mothy/Dustox
    Level 30

-Flash
    Gust
    -Moonlight
    -Psybeam

SgtPatches

i has a beard
    Years
  • Since my receipt of the Rainbow Badge:
    -Defeated my rival, Derp, at Pokemon Tower
    -Charmeleon evolved after battling the Rockets in Pokemon Tower
    -Pidgeotto evolved on the way to Fuschia City
    -Caught a Dratini
    -Caught a Doduo
    -Dratini evolved into Dragonair
    -Doduo evolved into Dodrio
    -Replaced Butterfree and Fearow with Dragonair and Dodrio
    -Took on Koga and won

Koga battle:
    Dragonair had no trouble with Koga's first Koffing. While the battle was mostly easy, things got difficult when Dodrio took on Koga's Muk. Dodrio kept whittling down his opponent, but Koga kept using Hyper Potions. Finally, after Dodrio fainted from poisoning, Dragonair took down Muk. The next Koffing stood no change against Gyarados, and Weezing couldn't get one hit in on Charizard.

Current team:
    Charizard, 37
    Pidgeot, 36
    Gyarados, 34
    Golbat, 32
    Dragonair, 33
    Dodrio, 32

Now to make a mess in Saffron City at Silph Co. and then humiliate Sabrina.

jespoke

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    @Tomreaper "I gave up on koffing, since he has a unbearably low encounter rate to me."

in Ruby and Emerald koffing has 25% and grimer has 2%, and in Sapphire it is opposite

About my challenges, i have been beating random trainers

Years
  • Small update

I found a seviper on my way to get some meteor,apparently. Beat the tema aqua leader, with some help from team magma. and went to the gym in Lavaridge.

My pokemon were kinda underleveled compared to flannerys pokes. Grimer took out the 2 slugmas, and died against her torkoal. I sent crobat out(golbat evolved :D), trying to take it out quick, but he died faster than i thought. next, was gulpin. He died pretty quick. but seviper saved me. she almost killed her, but the flannery used a hyper potion. but, i eventually brought her down. difficult battle :\

My current team...

Slime/Grimer
    Level 28

-Pound
    -Minimize
    -Screech
    -Sludge

Stomach/Gulpin
    Level 25