• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Underrated Unova Pokemon?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    well, it is Galvantula for me. It has a unique typing, Sucker Punch access, and T-bolt. But it is rarely used by trainers.

Ooh yeah, Galvantula sounds good in theory, I personally haven't used it in-game (well, MUCH) but yeah, I really expected it to be OU considering what I heard about it first up.

yeah, it is really common to see I ran one for a while, and I liked Jellicent anyway. Another underrated pokemon is Darmanitan, honestly there are some better fire types, but I really like him for some power. I rarely see them around, but when you do they actually do quite a bit with the proper support.

| 59 | Darmanitan | 10149 | 2.632% | 0.77±0.94 | 3.18±2.06 |

:( Darmanitan can be really powerful (I've used it like in a few battles? lol), and I kinda expected it to be higher BUT I barely see it (or at least I see it more than Jellicent). Idk, I think if it were dual typed and got STAB Superpower instead of Emboar, then yeah chances are it wouldn't be so underrated because people would be like "OH LOOK THIS FIRE/FIGHTING THING THAT ISN'T A STARTER, MUST HAVE!" which'd be better than how they act now, lol.

Competitively though, people take note of it and do use it, I mean it's what, in the 20s as far as ranked usage?

| 28 | Jellicent | 27062 | 7.017% | 0.38±0.67 | 5.72±4.84 |

o_O Wow I really did not expect that, I thought Jellicent would be used less, I definitely rarely see it. And actually, stall is quite popular, especially with rain stall, but Jellicent isn't really used on rain teams. :x Water Spout Jellicent can do well though apparently, but idk haven't personally used it. One of the negative things is that it usually runs Taunt, and with the slow speed, it can't really out-Taunt much (or at least prevent itself from gaining status). On the plus side, it has good defences (uhh spdef, idk about def), so can take a hit really well, so I think for people who want something that can do well defensively then yeah. But idk I don't see it often in people's posts in the "what's your team" thread which is surprising. I meannnnn considering the water choices, people either go Oshawott or Carracosta. :x

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I agree that Galvantula is rather underrated too; it even has CompoundEyes to boost the accuracy of Thunder up to a respectable 91%.

Also, I think Cinccino is rather underrated. It has an okay move pool, as well as a good ability in Technician to boost the powers of Tail Slap, Bullet Seed, Rock Blast and Wake-up Slap.

NidoJosh

Unleash your inner Nidocity
    Years
    Underrated Unova Pokemon?

I personally believe that Bisharp is quite underrated.
    Bisharp has an amazing attack stat, coupled with SD, Bisharp forms an offensive threat to any team.
    However his speed is what lets him down and being weak to ground and fighting :l
    I still think he's awesome ^.^

Years
    I feel sorry for Gothitelle, she rarely gets used.

When people play B/W, they think Reuniclus is the best Psychic-type available in Unova, and that's why so many people play White.

For those who play Black, you'll have some real potential with Gothitelle. She has a diverse moveset like many Psychic-type Pokemon plus I loved using her. I remember catching her as a Gothita and I trained her to see if she would turned out to be a powerhouse and my Calm Gothitelle is currently Lv77, so she's no pushover. My Gothitelle currently knows Energy Ball, Thunderbolt, Attract and Psychic but I often change her moveset when needed.

Sure, there's also Musharna, Sigilyph and Beheeyem to compare with, but Gothitelle can be a valuable ally in my case.

Try catching your own Gothita, set up defensive screens like Light Screen and Reflect, use Attract then trick out Gothitelle with X Speeds and X Specials then you can totally take control of the battle. Gothitelle helped me a lot, and she might help you too.

She is slightly faster than her counterpart Reuniclus but is more of a Sp. Def player, take a look at her stats and she's well balanced.

And I love her design too.

Mista T

Pityin' fools.
    Years

I personally believe that Bisharp is quite underrated.
    Bisharp has an amazing attack stat, coupled with SD, Bisharp forms an offensive threat to any team.
    However his speed is what lets him down and being weak to ground and fighting :l
    I still think he's awesome ^.^

Bisharp is actually used rather frequently. Its very strong Sucker Punch along with Swords Dance largely renders its low Speed a non-issue.

I thought Magic Guard Sigilyph was relatively popular, but I could be mistaken. I suppose the three Unova Pokemon that I have featured on my teams--Rough Skin Druddigon in my double battle team and Sap Sipper Bouffalant and Wonder Skin Sigilyph in my single battle team--all get shout-outs for being underrated. All three have performed admirably in their respective teams.

And if you are wondering at all why I elected to use Wonder Skin Sigilyph, it's because of its ability to evade and return status moves with Mirror Move.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2011
    Durant is very much overlooked bcs his SpD and HP are pathetic. But otherwise he has a great movepool, hone claws and hustle, and excellent Def Atk and Spe which for a armour clad ant is awsome.

Mandibuzz is one of the best pokemon introduced, but still falls to the RU tier. It has great HP, Def, SpD and good Spe for a wall. Although its Attacking stats are meager, it has nasty plot to pose a threat. It even has roost as a reliable recovery move.

Bouffalant is a beast. An STAB Head Charge off a great Atk combined with Reckless and SD dents even pokemon that resist it. It has good bulk and can fit well into a trick room team thanks to its low speed

Sigilyph has the great combo of excellent Spe,SpA, Cosmic Power, Stored Power and Roost that alone makes this guy a force

Sawk is probably the most underrated pokemon in BW. Though his only above average speed just falls short, with investment he turns beastly. He is given Sturdy, CC and and Awsome atk stat that matches Heracross. Sawk is swimming in the NU tier but once he shows himself on the battlefield, he is a real wrecking ball

Black Bolt

Leader of Inhumans
    Years
    duosion had (if its what i think) the highest base stat of all pre evolved psychic type pokemon
    it really helped me train my really weak litwick who couldn't run away from the stupid herdiers, lieperd and mincinnos. litwick's now a chandelure, spent less than a minute as a lampenet.

i wonder if tornadus gets enough love
    its pure flying (which i dont know if its bad or not)
    at least able to learn a SPECIAL flying type move of the kami trio
    its annoying to see that there's always the annoying normal/flying type combo
    at least nintendo made a first of em all

and kyurem
    legendary pokemon here!!
    its related to zekrom and reshiram
    and then it falls into UU tier
    legendary pokemon fall into either OU or Ubers
    you have got to be kidding me about kyurem being UU
    kyurem was one of my favorites
    it could use freeze bolt and ice burn and glaciate! more sig moves than the other two
    but nooo, game freak put it to UU to pwn the other UUs there (which actually could be nice)

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    o_O Wow I really did not expect that, I thought Jellicent would be used less, I definitely rarely see it. And actually, stall is quite popular, especially with rain stall, but Jellicent isn't really used on rain teams. :x Water Spout Jellicent can do well though apparently, but idk haven't personally used it. One of the negative things is that it usually runs Taunt, and with the slow speed, it can't really out-Taunt much (or at least prevent itself from gaining status). On the plus side, it has good defences (uhh spdef, idk about def), so can take a hit really well, so I think for people who want something that can do well defensively then yeah. But idk I don't see it often in people's posts in the "what's your team" thread which is surprising. I meannnnn considering the water choices, people either go Oshawott or Carracosta. :x

I think Jellicent is underrated, it can do more than just stall. I've used a Water Spout Jellicent before. It works really quite well. There isn't much that can take a full power Water Spout and just shake it off. It OHKO or 2HKOs pretty much everything that isn't immune to it. If I didn't start with Oshawott in my White, I would've used it. I did use it in my Black though, and it was my most reliable Pokemon.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
    Scolipede is pretty underrated, imo. I don't use it, but I've had some trouble facing it in-game.

In addition, I liked Leavanny. <3

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    These guys are so ignored, it is not fair. lol
    Lilligant has the amazing petal dance + own tempo combo. And is stunning!
    Sawsbuck's amazing climate adaption is hardly mentioned, nor is it's leech horn matched with a high attack and speed so it can sweep and gain health.
    Meinshao also has that high attack and speed along with drain punch. Not to mention it arguably the only pure fighting pokemon with a graceful design. *cough* in my very subjective opinion.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Sawsbuck's amazing climate adaption is hardly mentioned, nor is it's leech horn matched with a high attack and speed so it can sweep and gain health.
    Meinshao also has that high attack and speed along with drain punch. Not to mention it arguably the only pure fighting pokemon with a graceful design. *cough* in my very subjective opinion.

Mienshao is the best fighting Pokemon ever, seriously. It's beautiful and so strong and viable in competitive play and <333333

I wonder if it's underrated though? It's not widely used in-game I don't think but it is in the top 50 used competitively.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
    I agree with Elgyem. It is so freakin adorable and it's not too bad. I just wish it was more like a Reuniclus. I want to use an Elgyem but Reuniclus just works much better on my team.
    Another underrated would probably be Sawsbuck. It's just so weird. Honestly, i've never even cared enough about it to ever look up its stats.

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    Throh and Sawk are the coolest.

In addition to being useful they go back to ye-olde days when a fighting type was just that.

A fighting type. No second type, just fighting, fighting and more fighting. They're the Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan parallels I've been wanting since about GENIII.

Awesome.

flubbateios

Scrafty, it's just the evoloution of Scraggy but it gets into OU, still not very many people use it.

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    Durant and Escavalier. They are really great in-game but I don't see anyone using them.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I agree with Elgyem. It is so freakin adorable and it's not too bad. I just wish it was more like a Reuniclus. I want to use an Elgyem but Reuniclus just works much better on my team.
    Another underrated would probably be Sawsbuck. It's just so weird. Honestly, i've never even cared enough about it to ever look up its stats.

Sawsbuck isn't that bad. It's got decent Attack and Speed, plus STAB Horn Leech to heal off damage it has taken. It also has Swords Dance to boost its Attack even further, as well as 2 good abilities in Chlorophyll and Sap Sipper (the former is good for a Sun team while the latter is good for giving Sawsbuck more chances to switch in and gain a free Attack boost).

Years
    I think that Krookodile is highly underrated. Moxie + Choice Scarf is awesome. However I do understand why he is underrated due to his pretty common weaknesses. In my experiences though, if you can get even one Moxie boost off you are doing pretty well.

Disko_Rock

Pokémon Therapist
    Years

I would use a Mienshao if my Kojofu would stay alive long enough to actually win a battle and get enough exp to reach that ridiculous level 50 requirement -.-

Back