• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Unneeded or missing features?

zirico

M.C.F.C
Years
  • Maybe the Sinnoh frontier is actually the Johto frontier.

Supposedly HG/SS were in development stages since the time D/P first came out, perhaps the frontier in Sinnoh was actually designed for Johto but they copy pasted it into Platinum and that just happened to predate HG/SS.

Good point, it is possible.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    Heart Gold and Soul Silver I believe needed a few more features like:

• Crystal-esque Battle animations, maybe some animations for all 493 Pokemon for damages like status conditions ,low HP ,etc...
    • Maybe more lands to explore with an actual story unlike the Sevii Islands.
    • If Suicune's sprite looked more like it's GSC counterpart.
    • I would love that the intro was actually like the GSC opening ,not something new.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    I'm hoping they will actually make whole the caves they neglected in the original G/S/C. Like how mt.moon is about 3 rooms big, or Viridian forest is a zig-zag of rocks.
    That and open up the Pewter City museum.

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
  • I'm hoping they will actually make whole the caves they neglected in the original G/S/C. Like how mt.moon is about 3 rooms big, or Viridian forest is a zig-zag of rocks.
    That and open up the Pewter City museum.

Pewter Museum and Viridian Forest have been restored :) But Mt. Moon has not :(

Etherius

Ethereal Champion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2009
    I don't have either of them, I'm still waiting for them to come out in the UK (EPIC LONG WAIT = EPIC FAIL) But I wonder... Does it still have the Underground in it?

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • Oh one thing !U-N-D-E-R-G-R-O-U-N-D !!!!It was so EASY to get FOSSILS and STONES ! And now it's gone ! I HATE you NINTENDO !!!! Dammit ! ;_;

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I don't have either of them, I'm still waiting for them to come out in the UK (EPIC LONG WAIT = EPIC FAIL) But I wonder... Does it still have the Underground in it?
    No, the Underground from Sinnoh was never brought back into the game, and I agree it would have been a nice feature to be introduced into Johto and/or Kanto as well for the game. I know many players liked this feature before as it gave them something extra to do.

However, the feature was replaced with something new [Rock Hunting]. When smashing rocks with the HM Rock Smash there are times when you may find a fossil, heart scale, or other items.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Maybe the Sinnoh frontier is actually the Johto frontier.

Supposedly HG/SS were in development stages since the time D/P first came out, perhaps the frontier in Sinnoh was actually designed for Johto but they copy pasted it into Platinum and that just happened to predate HG/SS.

Derp.

I seriously doubt that, because the Battle Frontier in HG/SS has the exact same Battle Zone trees from Platinum (laziness), which makes absolutely no sense at all because Johto isn't a tropical region. Seems to me like they just copy + pasted it.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    I seriously doubt that, because the Battle Frontier in HG/SS has the exact same Battle Zone trees from Platinum (laziness), which makes absolutely no sense at all because Johto isn't a tropical region. Seems to me like they just copy + pasted it.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a tropical region.
    There are palm trees like that in California but California is far, FAR, from tropical.

Also, it's by Olivine. Olivine is a harbor/beach location. Those types of trees are abundant by beach/oceanic locations.
    I mean really, are we supposed to see forest/woodsy trees by the beach? Think about it for a second.

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
  • Lets see ... the customizing your room, the Daycare having that little pool of water outside so you don't have to run inside to see your Pokemon frolicking =P, the high level Miltank, Red's Snorlax with the original, more challenging moveset.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Doesn't necessarily have to be a tropical region.
    There are palm trees like that in California but California is far, FAR, from tropical.

Also, it's by Olivine. Olivine is a harbor/beach location. Those types of trees are abundant by beach/oceanic locations.
    I mean really, are we supposed to see forest/woodsy trees by the beach? Think about it for a second.
    Yes. I live in Washington and there's forests/woods right next to beaches everywhere.

And also the Battle Frontier in HG/SS also kept the volcanic grass from Platinum (on the lower level of the frontier). Now think about this: Johto isn't a volcanic region.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • For those who are debating on the Battle Frontier, it is to be remembered that the HSGS remakes were thought up before Platinum, yes, but were not fully worked on until afterwards. This being said, that means features for the games could have been going in and out until the game satisfied the game designers of the remake. Seeing as Platinum was released first it is highly probable that this game came with the Frontier first, and to keep compatability with all the game's frontier they just kept the same data and moved it over into HG/SS. Regardless of whether the frontier was thought up for whichever game first, it has been kept the same no less. Yes, the feature could have been changed, but Game Freak has their reasons. Some like the idea of it, some don't, but keep in mind it isn't a mandatory feature of the game, it's 100% optional unless needbe.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    Yes. I live in Washington and there's forests/woods right next to beaches everywhere.

And also the Battle Frontier in HG/SS also kept the volcanic grass from Platinum (on the lower level of the frontier). Now think about this: Johto isn't a volcanic region.

Proves my point even more. Locations differ - I see palm trees on beaches in California, and California is about as tropical as Canada is. Just because you see it one way doesn't mean that's how it should be.
    Volcanic grass? Could be snow, could be dust, could be tiny little nanobots surveying the ground.

We can look at it another way.
    Sinnoh is not a tropical region either. In fact, it's even less "tropical" than Johto.

EDIT: I also like how when people see things that are the same, it's LOL LAZY, and when they see something that's changed it's OMG RUINED

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Proves my point even more. Locations differ - I see palm trees on beaches in California, and California is about as tropical as Canada is. Just because you see it one way doesn't mean that's how it should be.
    Volcanic grass? Could be snow, could be dust, could be tiny little nanobots surveying the ground.

We can look at it another way.
    Sinnoh is not a tropical region either. In fact, it's even less "tropical" than Johto.
    The people on the Battle Zone refer to Sinnoh as a separate region, therefore the Battle Zone isn't technically part of Sinnoh (or at least that's what the translators thought).

Basically, it just kinda bothers me that they directly copied from Platinum, that's all. But you are right, locations can differ.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    Apparently there was a feature in dppt to mass move pokemon in the boxes. And apparently this feature has been removed in hgss. I read it on some forum I can't remember where though...
    do you mean when you press y button and the hand turns yellow

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
  • Hmmm... I have to say nothing. I like the game just like it is. It looks like Gold & Silver and doesn't have anything unneeded. And pokéradar is just a way to cheat to get shinys quicker and I haven't used it even once for catching shinys as I don't like it. I have caught about 8 shiny pokémon without cheats or pokéradar in my life (most of them in Gold and there's also Shiny Hoothoot, HG).

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2010
    phone is totally unneeded, its so annoying when it just keeps on beeping

Back