• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US Elections 2008: Debate the Issues

Which party are you voting for? (If you could vote...) Foreigners are welcomed.

• Democratic Party (Obama/Biden...Your Democratic Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 98 63.2%
  • Republican Party (McCain/Palin...Your Republican Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Third Party (Green, Liberatarian...etc.)

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • I'm disillusioned. It's all campaign rhetoric I won't even bother to vote...

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    What I think people are forgetting is that global warming is far better than the alternative, which will come eventually regardless of what we do. Global cooling would be incredibly detrimental to the economies of all countries and to the overall quality of life. I don't care about global warming that much, I just hope that the next ice age doesn't happen in my time.

I'd have to agree....a MAXIMUM of a few degrees temperature increase won't be the end of the world as we know it. The oceans won't rise 20 feet and flood every costal city...People blow it way out of proportion.

Years
    Ok...ok...

I'd have to agree....a MAXIMUM of a few degrees temperature increase won't be the end of the world as we know it. The oceans won't rise 20 feet and flood every coastal city...People blow it way out of proportion.

You guys have successfully injected doubts into my argument for CC (GW) which as it turns out is just enough to get people NOT to care about it (But hey why am I even arguing CC (GW) when the general public accepts it...even the candidates and also I'm too lazy I'm tied into Real-Life commitments)...So I will not press on any further...

Consensus: The realism/impact of Climate Change (Global Warming) is Debatable.

But anyways...You guys do agree that Fossil Fuels are Finite and that we need to diversify our energy sources...

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    You guys have successfully injected doubts into my argument for CC (GW) which as it turns out is just enough to get people NOT to care about it (But hey why am I even arguing CC (GW) when the general public accepts it...even the candidates and also I'm too lazy I'm tied into Real-Life commitments)...So I will not press on any further...

Consensus: The realism/impact of Climate Change (Global Warming) is Debatable.

But anyways...You guys do agree that Fossil Fuels are Finite and that we need to diversify our energy sources...

Well that's hardly debatable....of course fossil fuels are finite, and we need Alt. energy ASAP.
    Most people just disagree about how we should go about doing it.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

Oh, absolutely. I foresee big things for solar and hydrogen-powered energy.

I said this in another thread, and I'll repeat it here: current car motors scrape along at around 15% efficiency. That means that 85% of the energy produced from the gasoline combusting is wasted. So I think that making engines more efficient is big on our to-do list, as well.

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    Well hey if the whole country has been invaded and poor, at least you can get married, right? It's that type of selfish thinking that I abhor. How do you feel like a second class citizen? Are you being lynched daily?
    Oh my side, don't make me laugh so hard. McCain is the one who will be the death of this country. With McCain we're going to be at war for many more years to come, and not just in Iraq. As opposed to Obama who actually wants to make AMENDS with countries. Yeah yeah you're totally right, Obama will so be the end of us I can hear the bombs already [/sarcasm] I may not be lynched, but I still feel as if this country sees me as a lesser being. I have less rights than straight people. I can't get married, I can't adopt, I can't join the army. So YES I think I can justifiably say that I feel like a second class citizen in this country.

It's moronic to base it on something like marriage. Go to Massachusetts or California for now, wait for the government to catch up with the times. And I fail to get why it's hypocritical.
    What's moronic is to reply when you haven't fully grasped the meaning of my statement. I will make MY political decisions based on what affects ME. Yes, you do fail to see why it's hypocritical. It's hypocritical for you to judge how I make my political decisions when you most likely use the same or similar thought process. I mean do you not also base your decision on things that affect you? Also, as I had said early, I don't ONLY base decisions on gay rights. Sure gay rights have a big sway on which way I would vote but I do take other facts into consideration. Like foreign policies, abortion, affirmative action, etc. Also, I no longer want Republican representationbecause of "No Child Left Behind", 'cause you know what? A lot of students are being left behind!

They came to accept black people as human beings, right? OH WAIT NO I GUESS THEY DIDN'T. I GUESS CONDOLEEZA RICE IS JUST BUSH'S SLAVE GIRL.
    OOOOOOOOOH! Whoopdy-freakin' do you named ONE black politician, yeah that's diversity right there ONE black woman in a white male dominated government. I have seen the light! The roots of racism run fairly deep in this country. I know there are many people who won't vote for Obama based on the color of his skin.

Conservatives, and people, in general are stupid. They usually don't get mockery. So when they see the way gays act in those parades, that's ALL that sticks in their mind. It doesn't HELP your cause, but anyone who's already on your side will get it, but that's hardly the point.
    Pardon us for having pride, a sense of humor, and a functioning brain >.>

Or because he has never DONE anything, went to a church for 20 years with an anti-white pastor, etc. This is hardly about Obama, though, this is about me hating your selfish way to view the world.
    Oh the second there is anti-white, that's when the line has been crossed. Cuz you know slavery never happened right? And skin-head Neo Nazi's don't exist either, huh?

She's right on this one. Watch the South Park episode where Cartman commits a hate crime. All crime is hateful. Just because someone kills a black man for being black doesn't mean he shouldn't be charged for more than murder.
    OLOL It's moronic for me to base a decision on gay rights but getting your opinion on hate crimes from South Park makes perfect logical sense. And no, she's not right. Not all crimes are done out of hate. A man who steals money/food for his starving family is not hateful, he's desperate. A white man who kills a black man FOR BEING BLACK should be charged with murder and a hate crime! And vice versa.

Mistreatment how? Because I honestly don't know.
    Palin won't even recognize the bashing of a gay person as a hate crime. She's neglecting the fact that gay people are even being mistreated.

Another reason is I wouldn't vote for Palin, is for her blatant hypocracy. She doesn't believe in pro-choice and rants and raves about how here daughter MADE THE CHOICE to keep her baby. Yet they say it's not fair to intrude on Palin's home life yet she's trying to intrude into our family business. The decision to have an abortion should be a family decision. With McCain and Palin it's gonna become just like 1985 8D

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2008
    Fossil fuels are finite, but we're not close to be able to mass produce any other practical choices for cars. So we need to use what we have, and the rising price of gas will punish the people, not speed up the technology for new energy sources. =\

I'm lazy. Person above me, don't use one single issue as a voting point: that's all I'm saying. And I didn't catch it earlier that you were using more issues, but all I saw was "gay marriage", etc. I didn't say one side is right and the other wrong: just that you're no better than evangelicals who vote solely on abortion issues and anti-gay laws.

Last edited:

SpartanPatriot

It was fun....goodbye.
    Years
    McCain is the one who will be the death of this country. With McCain we're going to be at war for many more years to come, and not just in Iraq. As opposed to Obama who actually wants to make AMENDS with countries. Yeah yeah you're totally right, Obama will so be the end of us I can hear the bombs already [/sarcasm] I may not be lynched, but I still feel as if this country sees me as a lesser being. I have less rights than straight people. I can't get married, I can't adopt, I can't join the army. So YES I think I can justifiably say that I feel like a second class citizen in this country.

Thank you for saying this. I completely agree. McCain is an old man with old ideals and Obama is a fresh young face with new ideas and a better way of thinking. Obama thinks of the future and McCain thinks in the past. I personally do not give a whoop-de-f*** (I edited it myself XD) that he was a verteran. I have heard him tell the same stuff about being a POW hundreds of time. Yes. He did fight for our country and make a sacrifice but I do not see how that makes him a leader. I also do not give a hoot about experience. I want to see Obama in office because he is a fresh start. I personally want something new. The last republican horribly failed at being president and I do not want another one with the same ideas going into office. McCain says stuff that he will do but they will not be done. Also, I do not like it how he publicly flames OBama and says things about him. Obama is clean and McCain is dirty.

Years
    Now...

Well that's hardly debatable....of course fossil fuels are finite, and we need Alt. energy ASAP.
    Most people just disagree about how we should go about doing it.

Ok, now that CC's out of the way...new topic...An issue skirted by the candidates...

How should we deal with Immigration?
    Is building a giant fence even Feasible? Does rounding up all the "Illegal" Immigrants even possible? (12 Million average)
    Remember most "illegal" immigrants move here to the US just like our elders...in order to achieve the so-called "American Dream" (All those stories about gangs are tied to other various issues such as economics and education) and they are People like you and me...

Immigrants take the jobs THAT WE DON'T WANT (which is sad since we accuse them of taking THE JOBS WE WANT) in order to send money back to their home country (I'm Filipino so I experience this first hand.)

And also no matter how much (somebody who I know) wants all the so-called "Emes" to be rounded up and deported that is just not realistic and you know it.

I believe we should have some type of Immigration reform legislation to deal with this REALISTICALLY. Not Fence-Building and mass-deportations.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2008
    Ok, now that CC's out of the way...new topic...An issue skirted by the candidates...

Is building a giant fence even Feasible? Does rounding up all the "Illegal" Immigrants even possible? (12 Million average)
    Remember most "illegal" immigrants move here to the US just like our elders...in order to achieve the so-called "American Dream" (All those stories about gangs are tied to other various issues such as economics and education) and they are People like you and me...

Immigrants take the jobs THAT WE DON'T WANT (which is sad since we accuse them of taking THE JOBS WE WANT) in order to send money back to their home country (I'm Filipino so I experience this first hand.)

And also no matter how much (somebody who I know) wants all the so-called "Emes" to be rounded up and deported that is just not realistic and you know it.

I believe we should have some type of Immigration reform legislation to deal with this REALISTICALLY. Not Fence-Building and mass-deportations.

Just enforce the laws we already have and punish the employers and they will mass deport. Problem solved.

Years
    Tsk..Tsk..

McCain says stuff that he will do but they will not be done.

I agree with most of what you said but the part I quoted applies TO MOST POLITICIANS. (See how Bush routed Gore in 2000 on the Environmental issue by claiming that he'll give action to help the environment (Citing his time as Governor as Evidence) and then back-tracks AND ACTUALLY CUTS BACK ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION LAWS for Big Oil and just promotes volunteering by Big Companies on the fight against CC)

Just enforce the laws we already have and punish the employers and they will mass deport. Problem solved.

Your doing the one-liners and trolling again...Please think a lot deeper about this issue since what if I just HAVE YOU deported. (No offense but you really should think more about the plight of others...)

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Thank you for saying this. I completely agree. McCain is an old man with old ideals and Obama is a fresh young face with new ideas and a better way of thinking. Obama thinks of the future and McCain thinks in the past. I personally do not give a whoop-de-f*** (I edited it myself XD) that he was a verteran. I have heard him tell the same stuff about being a POW hundreds of time. Yes. He did fight for our country and make a sacrifice but I do not see how that makes him a leader. I also do not give a hoot about experience. I want to see Obama in office because he is a fresh start. I personally want something new. The last republican horribly failed at being president and I do not want another one with the same ideas going into office. McCain says stuff that he will do but they will not be done. Also, I do not like it how he publicly flames OBama and says things about him. Obama is clean and McCain is dirty.

Hmmmm....Maybe if you had actually listened to the man during his speech last week you would know what being a vet means to him and why it will make him an effective leader. But seriously, who wants to listen to old ideas anyway?

You should give a whoop-de-f*** that he was a veteran and was a POW for 5 years. Obviously if you had watched his speech you would have heard his whole story and the message that he was trying to convey. You also would have heard his dedication and passion that he has for the United States, a passions that Obama will never have. You would have actually heard his story and what he's about, but you chose to be ill-informed and judgmental.

And I hate to say this, but you're a moron for believing that McCain is the only one running a dirty campaign. Do you even watch TV? Have you seen the ad's Obamas putting out? You're really telling me that Obama isn't doing any mudslinging at all? Wake up dude. Seriously. Neither of them are running clean campaigns. What do you think was going on at the Democratic convention? Was that not flaming? Did they not call McCain old, ignorant and misguided? That's not flaming? Please tell me you don't actually think Obama is running a pure campaign.....

It's fine if you support Obama because you want some new ideas in Washington, but please, inform yourself first and don't be naive when your posting your opinions...

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    Barak FTW~

You know what wrong with freaking election?

it's a choice between a old buzzard or a BLACK man.
    OMG, CALL THE COPS!

what discusts me is racism.
    Heres how I see it:

"Hey, it's the election! I wonder whos up for it?
    let's see...
    the president is a good, loyal, understanding, tackle issue, overall awesome person! :D
    But... he's BLACK.
    oh noes. I can't possible vote for a black man, so... might as well vote for the wrong choice! ^^"

It kinda sounds as ridicious as what's going to happen if we allow gay marriage USA-wide.
    it's not like you see a gay wedding and you start to have a seizure and start to foam out of your mouth and a giant monster spider crawls out of you creating War of the Worlds.

Racism can go **** itself when it comes to voteing.

EDIT:
    One thing is that McCain is going to take education money and put it into the army.
    If this guy gets 2 terms, I'm screwed for the rest of my education.

I'm fine with immigrants.
    If a person from another country wants to come to the united states,
    and is willing to pay taxes, obey laws, and learn local language,
    that's fantastic. I want them in ASAP.

what I don't agree with is Illeagal immigration.
    Here, let me come to a country and mootch off there money so I can go back to my own.
    If you want to come here, for the love of god, become a leagal citizen.
    please.
    I'm sick of hearing this immigration problem.

I really think when we had Ellis Island it was better.
    but hey, what do I know?
    I think Ellis Island got sucked out of the question when illeagal immigration started.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2008
    Your doing the one-liners and trolling again...Please think a lot deeper about this issue since what if I just HAVE YOU deported. (No offense but you really should think more about the plight of others...)

Do I detect a threat? But I thought you were against personal attacks! Oh no, mister, don't deport me!

If we stopped giving them a way to get our jobs, they would have no reason to come here or stay. It's common sense. =\

Since you don't like logic without a website, here you go: https://www.opednews.com/articles/Illegal-immigrants-volunta-by-John-Martin-080908-158.html

And my stance is the same as Tacharine: LEGAL immigrants are perfectly fine.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Barak FTW~

You know what wrong with freaking election?

it's a choice between a old buzzard or a BLACK man.
    OMG, CALL THE COPS!

what discusts me is racism.
    Heres how I see it:

"Hey, it's the election! I wonder whos up for it?
    let's see...
    the president is a good, loyal, understanding, tackle issue, overall awesome person! :D
    But... he's BLACK.
    oh noes. I can't possible vote for a black man, so... might as well vote for the wrong choice! ^^"

It kinda sounds as ridicious as what's going to happen if we allow gay marriage USA-wide.
    it's not like you see a gay wedding and you start to have a seizure and start to foam out of your mouth and a giant monster spider crawls out of you creating War of the Worlds.

Racism can go **** itself when it comes to voteing.

EDIT:
    One thing is that McCain is going to take education money and put it into the army.
    If this guy gets 2 terms, I'm screwed for the rest of my education.

I'm fine with immigrants.
    If a person from another country wants to come to the united states,
    and is willing to pay taxes, obey laws, and learn local language,
    that's fantastic. I want them in ASAP.

what I don't agree with is Illeagal immigration.
    Here, let me come to a country and mootch off there money so I can go back to my own.
    If you want to come here, for the love of god, become a leagal citizen.
    please.
    I'm sick of hearing this immigration problem.

I really think when we had Ellis Island it was better.
    but hey, what do I know?
    I think Ellis Island got sucked out of the question when illeagal immigration started.

Yes, it's unfortunate that people will make decisions about this election based on race....but unfortunately the US is still in a stage where stuff like that will happen. Although, it won't affect as many people as you think...I thought I saw somewhere that 90% or more of the country's voters aren't basing their decision off of race, but if you ask me that's still not enough...

Where are you getting your information about this McCain business? He's never said anything about cutting education. You should read up on that.

I can agree with you on immigration though =P

Weatherman Kiyoshi

Years
    Yes, it's unfortunate that people will make decisions about this election based on race....but unfortunately the US is still in a stage where stuff like that will happen. Although, it won't affect as many people as you think...I thought I saw somewhere that 90% or more of the country's voters aren't basing their decision off of race, but if you ask me that's still not enough...

Where are you getting your information about this McCain business? He's never said anything about cutting education. You should read up on that.

I can agree with you on immigration though =P

no, we need atleast 100%.
    This proves 90% of the country are a bunch of narrow-minded dumbasses.

well, I got it from one of my realiable sources
    Sister's boyfriend
    but I don't know where they read that :X
    But if it isn't true, my vote would still have gone to Obama.

Hey! wanna know a fun fact?

Spoiler:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    no, we need atleast 100%.
    This proves 90% of the country are a bunch of narrow-minded dumbasses.

well, I got it from one of my realiable sources
    Sister's boyfriend
    but I don't know where they read that :X
    But if it isn't true, my vote would still have gone to Obama.

Hey! wanna know a fun fact?

Spoiler:

Yes I agree with you about the racism thing, and your sisters boyfriend is kinda stupid...

And what was the point of that last comment at all?

SpartanPatriot

It was fun....goodbye.
    Years
    Hmmmm....Maybe if you had actually listened to the man during his speech last week you would know what being a vet means to him and why it will make him an effective leader. But seriously, who wants to listen to old ideas anyway?

You should give a whoop-de-f*** that he was a veteran and was a POW for 5 years. Obviously if you had watched his speech you would have heard his whole story and the message that he was trying to convey. You also would have heard his dedication and passion that he has for the United States, a passions that Obama will never have. You would have actually heard his story and what he's about, but you chose to be ill-informed and judgmental.

And I hate to say this, but you're a moron for believing that McCain is the only one running a dirty campaign. Do you even watch TV? Have you seen the ad's Obamas putting out? You're really telling me that Obama isn't doing any mudslinging at all? Wake up dude. Seriously. Neither of them are running clean campaigns. What do you think was going on at the Democratic convention? Was that not flaming? Did they not call McCain old, ignorant and misguided? That's not flaming? Please tell me you don't actually think Obama is running a pure campaign.....

It's fine if you support Obama because you want some new ideas in Washington, but please, inform yourself first and don't be naive when your posting your opinions...

I said it is fine and all that he was a POW and a veteran. I support them. My grandfather was in the military as well and my neighbour was a POW and I knew him well. I DID watch the whole speech given by him as I have also watched all of Obama's.

For the last part. I have not seen any commercials for Barack Obama and I prefer to think of myself as a person who watches plenty of television when I can.

I have watched and listened to his speech about being a POW at least 20 times and I am not ignorant. If you had read you would have seen that I said it was good he made a sacrifice for the country and it a renowned vet but I think that doies not always makes a great leader. McCain is a great man but not a great leader in my opinion.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

Years
    Yes I agree with you about the racism thing, and your sisters boyfriend is kinda stupid...

And what was the point of that last comment at all?

your telling me

a fun fact.
    It's always a good time for a fun fact.

---

anyway, staying on topic, another issue I have observed:

when Hillary was running against Obama for Democrat,
    I can't tell you the amount of people in my school who voted for her just because she was the first woman ever to do so.

now she's out.

NOW, McCain decides to have a FEMALE running mate.
    guess what percent of hiliary's votes are going to Palin?

The point is, I don't like people who just vote because of what the people who are running are.

If there was a female democrat/republican, and she was T3H BEST THING TO COME TO POLITICS SINCE BUTTA ON TOAST,
    you know I would vote for her.

If she sucked, I would vote for the other.

don't vote for someone whos "2 t3h X-tream" because they are are different gender/race/sexuality/etc.

vote for someone who actually can do a good job.

Years
    Rebuttal?

Do I detect a threat? But I thought you were against personal attacks! Oh no, mister, don't deport me!

If we stopped giving them a way to get our jobs, they would have no reason to come here or stay. It's common sense. =\

Since you don't like logic without a website, here you go: https://www.opednews.com/articles/Illegal-immigrants-volunta-by-John-Martin-080908-158.html

And my stance is the same as Tacharine: LEGAL immigrants are perfectly fine.

I agree with both your points..your link does make sense....but be realistic...we CANNOT deport everyone and people WILL COME BACK when the economy rebounds (eventually) so what do we do then....

SpartanPatriot

It was fun....goodbye.
    Years
    The point is, I don't like people who just vote because of what the people who are running are.

vote for someone who actually can do a good job.

Precisely. Race, gender, religion and other aspects should never be used as a way to vote for someone. People SHOULD be voted for because of their ideas and leadership skills.

So all in all the statement above me is 100% on.

Back