• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Version name change for America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I don't see how a pokemon game with the title in which is referring to a colour could be controversial. I'm sure Gamefreak thought about the titles before releasing them so that they could corrospond with both America's laws and ethics as well as the European and the Asia & Oceanic versions of the games.

I think the fact that people are thinking (will think of it) of it as is somewhat close minded seeing as in it's just a colour. It is in no way racial. So I don't think that they will be changed, to be frank it's more profound as it is. I quite like the names and I'm happy to see that we've moved on from gems lol.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
    People coming with lawsuits really would be stupid. Seriously. I don't even think I'm gonna have to explain why xP

Just read what everyone else says. That would be stupid :D

I don't even know why I'm posting anymore. The question's already been answered -.-"

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    The only name change was Trozei! -> Link! for Europe. Since then, none.
    But, if Nintendo spots idiots troling stuff like "Lawlz, pkm is da zoooo, razist, taht my no baying pkmn bw !1!!!11!!!1" they most probably won't care or get affected and change.

In general, I hope it stays the way it is : Black and White (BW) .

Angelroid

Sun X
    Years
    I like the names Black and White.

People in the USA need to grow some balls. Canada wouldn't change the game names ever.

cobraman228

My friends are my power.
    Years
    It most likely will be.

NOA/NOE will most likely change them to some rock or something, just to be stupid.
    well
    Like, I'm 200% anti-racist, but I think blavk and white are awesome names, and I was gonna get black... well, we can all hope.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    They're hardly racist names.
    I mean sure if they were called:
    Pokémon: White superiority edition
    and
    Pokémon: Black slavery edition
    sure, but Black and white? No. You don't see people suing black and white cats.

Yes, a small minority of idiots might get "offended" by the names because they are not politically correct, the same bunch that say we shouldn't say blackboard or sing baa baa black sheep to our children.
    Tut tut tut, you shouldn't call it baa baa black sheep anymore, it's baa baa rainbow sheep now. Which is stupid in my opinion.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    Why should we change the name because a bunch of people think the name is offensive. The name suits it's title. No indians or asians complained at pokemon yellow, so america can get over it.

Technically, if us Indians were to get offended at any Pokemon game, it would be Red version. But we didn't so that proves your point, THEY ARE COLORS/SHADES, GET OVER IT!

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I remember this stupid incident about Gamefreak changing Jynx' skin color in the American versions from black to purple.
    Actually, it was Nintendo who did that for GSC, not GameFreak themselves (and it was for the international release, not just USA). They've been using it ever since in Japan too (and I have to admit Jynx actually kinda looks better now)...

Tut tut tut, you shouldn't call it baa baa black sheep anymore, it's baa baa rainbow sheep now. Which is stupid in my opinion.
    So... do they call people the "rainbow sheep of the family"? Man, that's a whole nother bag of problems...

Meh, I see no reason for them to change it (does the Red/Green to Red/Blue conversion count for a change in the past?) at all. Look, we can take this to the absolutely ridiculous range and say Pearl was racist against clams, but that's silly, isn't it? And so is this idea. People who look at the names of these games and think of race first are the ones who have something wrong with them, not the game makers.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Haha, renaming the games to Ebony and Ivory would be a step in the wrong direction.
    Either way, Black and White are perfectly fine. The chances of enough people being offended by the names to even begin a lawsuit is slim to none, especially considering they aren't exclusively trying to market only one of the games. Plus it's not like this is only an issue in the USA, racism does exist in other countries.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I can definitely see people making fun of the name, mostly people that don't play it, but I won't, and I don't think it's necessary to change the name, so no, I don't think they will, and if they do, I don't think it was a useful decision.

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
    Actually, it was Nintendo who did that for GSC, not GameFreak themselves (and it was for the international release, not just USA). They've been using it ever since in Japan too (and I have to admit Jynx actually kinda looks better now)

I have an awful sense of humor so that actually caused a bit of racism, in my opinion. I never thought of her as a racist stereotype until that whole incident. Now I think of her as a black woman who drank too much grape soda and turned purple.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    Sure, because Pokemon Red and Pokemon Yellow offended Native Americans and Asians right? When they change version names because of colors vaguely correlated with race, that's when I'll know that America has officially become a 3rd world country.

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
    Anyone who assosiates the colours Black and White with anything to do with racism is, in fact, a little racist themselves for even allowing the thought to enter their heads. When I see the colour black, do I think of a person of African descent, no. Nor do I think of a Caucasian when I see the colour white. Quite frankly, people aren't white or black anyway, Caucasians are peach and Africans are brown, I have never met a white or black coloured person.

Even if they try to force Nintendo to change the names, it would get thrown out of court for being ridiculous as there will be no mention of race in the games to begin with.

Years
    Pokemon Caucasian and Pokemon African?

Seriously though. If this was racist, it would be Black/Black or White/White.
    People these days assume that if you say "black", you're racist.

NoA is not this stupid.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Obsidian and Quartz would sound nice. Personally, I do think they'll change the names because as I said, "Black" and "White" is understandable by the Japanese and they don;t associate it with race whatsoever, however on this side where it's associated with race, they'll avoid conflict and change the name.

war rock exe

Pokemon Colosseum Remaker!!
    Years
    I'm glad the people in here aren't racist..... I think you brought up a good point.... I think it should be called Pokemon Solid Black or Solid White

Pokemon Solid Black or Solid White would make a good name; don't you agree?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back