• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years
I've recently bought Borderlands 2, need to install it after exams.

Lots of games are going down the MMO route, Star Wars, ESO etc. so you have to be careful not to overload.

TY

I've recently bought Borderlands 2, need to install it after exams.

Lots of games are going down the MMO route, Star Wars, ESO etc. so you have to be careful not to overload.

Correct, last thing we wanna see is CoD and BF also becoming MMO's XD

Reactions: T!M

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years
And quickscoping kids screaming through their mic's... MMO is dead if that happens.
People would run out of insults for each other's mothers...

I'd like to see a Borderlands MMO, but it would work just as well as a 3rd installment. I think I'll see how the ESO goes, as a bar to set the level. However, I think ESO is going to be quite expensive, and I fear if many AAA games become MMOs, then gamers will be expected to be paying £50 a month to play their favourite game series which wouldn't work, causing the games to fail.

TY

People would run out of insults for each other's mothers...

I'd like to see a Borderlands MMO, but it would work just as well as a 3rd installment. I think I'll see how the ESO goes, as a bar to set the level. However, I think ESO is going to be quite expensive, and I fear if many AAA games become MMOs, then gamers will be expected to be paying £50 a month to play their favourite game series which wouldn't work, causing the games to fail.

I dont think that will happen, as not every genre fits in a MMO.
RTS for example is horrible for a MMO. Everything will become such a mess then that the game is unplayable. But i see your point and i agree, most AAA games are made from greedy producers who only care about the money.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years
I dont think that will happen, as not every genre fits in a MMO.
RTS for example is horrible for a MMO. Everything will become such a mess then that the game is unplayable. But i see your point and i agree, most AAA games are made from greedy producers who only care about the money.
The problem is the few genres which would fit it, there are so many games which could become MMO.

RPGs for example: Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Star Wars, Borderlands, Fallout, Mass Effect, Fable, Final Fantasy etc. Each one of those games could be sucessfully turned into an MMO. While it is unlikely, if ESO and such do well commercially then we could see a few other big names go MMO.

Which could be good or bad. Might not even happen.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
The problem is the few genres which would fit it, there are so many games which could become MMO.

RPGs for example: Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Star Wars, Borderlands, Fallout, Mass Effect, Fable, Final Fantasy etc. Each one of those games could be sucessfully turned into an MMO. While it is unlikely, if ESO and such do well commercially then we could see a few other big names go MMO.

Final Fantasy XI was an MMO.

TY

Agreed. As the genres that do fit indeed have lots of games in them.
Though i dont see them doing a MMO anytime soon, cause then you need a proper server, which Rockstar failed at at the start *cough* GTA Online *cough*

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Final Fantasy XI was an MMO.
Let's not forget FFXIV, as well.

Though i dont see them doing a MMO anytime soon, cause then you need a proper server, which Rockstar failed at at the start *cough* GTA Online *cough*
See, here's my thing. When a franchise goes the MMO route, there's a certain shift in the feel of the franchise that you can't really avoid. It goes a game where the story and the player comes first to a game where menial tasks and the world come first. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but there are some franchises that pride themselves on their stories, and because of the way that the average MMO is designed, the franchise runs the risk of losing what made it so popular or engaging in the first place by making that inevitable shift.

I do wish that more people would go off of the beaten path and create their own framework for what an MMO can be. For years, MMOs have been following the framework of "Target and Auto-Attack", and I think there's a lot of room for revolution, or at least innovation. I mean, the reason franchises like Dot Hack and Sword Art have managed to be popular is because of the worlds they craft, and more, the MMOs that don't exist. You won't find an open-world MMOARPG, and if you look, the closest thing you'll get is something like RaiderZ or TERA. I'm not really sure if it's because of network incapabilities or a mere lack of interest, but I hope that, someday, MMOs will truly branch out beyond standard (and soon, archaic) frameworks that give many MMOs, even big names, similar feels.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years
I think the problem with big game releases with online features is simply the massive wave of users at the start.

A lot of sucessful MMOs release their version 0.1 for the public to use and just develop it on the go. This means that it gets a quiet release and as it improves, it slowly gets more users allowing it to slowly get more servers or the ability to cope. Whereas something like GTA5 will have millions of users all scrambling online on day one and wrecking it.

That's why many original MMOs don't suffer from these problems, as when they release they're relatively unknown and then gain players.

TY

Correct, but i was talking about the big titles going MMO. If they already cant handle online at the start, how will they be able to if its gonna be a MMO?

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Probably gradual server upgrades. If you have hosted a valve title server than you understand what I mean. You upgrade your server so you can handle more people and the activities that they do. When the dinosaur island in WoW was opened the server gathered a over 700 people to kill the giant dinosaur. Once everyone arrived from numerous deaths along the way everyone split into raid groups we knew next to nothing. Hos attack patterns were still being analysed and what we knew about them was horrible so we got the raid group of tanks to attack and everything seemed fine but as soon as the dps and healers jumped in the amount of lag was unbearable and it wasn't just a few of us. but from enough money making people can increase the load that players can place on the server that is why its good for mmos to be quiet until they are ready to take on the world. Some MMOs don't realise the mount of hype they have and underestimate howamy people will play.

Also what's the best PSP in terms of hackability, battery life and such.

TY

Well some get a good server some dont. GTA had problems the first couple of weeks with the server cause of so many people playing it. Then they just gave people 500k in GTA cash as a apology for the mess there was.

And idk about a good PSP for that, never played PSP enough to judge that

Years
Servers can be so annoying sometimes. But some games there's just a constant problem with the server and it really grinds your gears. If you look at games like FIFA, their servers are terrible, so many random disconnections and it really can be slow.

TY

Servers can be so annoying sometimes. But some games there's just a constant problem with the server and it really grinds your gears. If you look at games like FIFA, their servers are terrible, so many random disconnections and it really can be slow.

That is what made me quit FIFA... winning 5-0, then disconnecting and suddenly you lost... It was so frustrating. EA really messed up the servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back