• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wallace? Or Steven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
    Wallace felt really.... Out of place. Since these aren't remakes of emerald, it will more than likely be Steven. But I personally like the idea of a new chmpion: Wally. It's VERY unlikely, but pretty cool to think about. But it's going to be Steven, I'm quite sure.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Wallace? Or Steven?
    Wallace? Or Steven?

Really leaning towards Steven being the champion at this point. No mention of Wallace whatsoever, and various screenshots of our favorite gray-haired mineral fanatic, as well as a section in the CoroCoro leak. Wallace certainly could still be the eighth gym leader, and Juan the new master of contests, or vice versa, but looks like Steven's reigning over Hoenn yet again.

I think it'll be Steven too but even all of Steven's appearances aren't confirmation of him being champion. After all Steven appeared more than Wallace in Emerald too... but I think it'll be Steven, after all in the previous remakes (HGSS) he called himself the Champion of Hoenn.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    STEVEN

His appearances in the videos made me sooo happy, and his traveling nature still makes me think he'll be the Champion, even though that's what he also did in Emerald and he ended up not being Champion. The nature of some of his appearances though (searching for the mega stone secret and whatnot, right?) reminds me of almost exactly what Diantha was doing and having two Champions doing the same thing with similar goals in mind... It doesn't seem like GameFreak's style, so I doubt Steven will still be Champ. :( Still hopeful regardless!

Years
    Maybe Steven's gone so far in his research that he cloned his body and the man running around exploring the Hoenn region isn't actually Steven, it's a replica made of the strongest minerals in the world. With this, he can remain Champion and interject the main character's adventures with helpful tips and thoughtful speeches. 8)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    In the more recent games the Champions have been becoming more involved with the player during the storyline, so I think it would be weird if we met Steven several times throughout the journey and it turns out Wallace was the Champion and he was just sitting in EGC the whole time. So I definitely think that Steven is the Champion due to all of this new information.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The nature of some of his appearances though (searching for the mega stone secret and whatnot, right?) reminds me of almost exactly what Diantha was doing and having two Champions doing the same thing with similar goals in mind... It doesn't seem like GameFreak's style, so I doubt Steven will still be Champ.

I just want to reassure you that Steven and Diantha are nothing alike. Diantha is only met twice before battling her as Champion; the first time, she explains that she is an actress and wants to explore different acting roles. The second time, she talks about the bonds between people and Pokémon--really generic stuff, in my opinion. She does no searching for anything related to Mega Evolution...she really does nothing at all, in all honesty. If Steven returns as Champion, it would be nothing even remotely similar as having Diantha as Champion, so in that regard there is nothing to worry about!

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    I'm actually kind of bothered that Diantha wasn't much of an impact in the storyline like the other champions. I prefer Steven being the champion rather than Wallace imo.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    This is hard for me because I love Steven as the Champion. He's my favorite one, but I also really love Juan. He's one of my all time favorite gym leaders. Wallace did nothing for me as a gym leader or a Champion. If anything I found him a much easier opponent and I never really understood why it got switched up besides to build on Steven's character and to make the story a little more interesting I guess.

lol I honestly wish they would cut out Wallace altogether and just keep Juan and Steven, but I highly doubt that.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2014
    My first game was ruby and sapphire so when I played emerald it felt weird so I hope Steven is the champ but what would be cool is to see Steven's team Ruby/sapphire vs Wallace team emerald

Years
    I don't mind either of them, but I can definitely see the huge bias towards Steven here. He had a more diverse team than Wallace in my opinion and while I do like Water-types, the problem Wallace has is that he has weaknesses that are easy to exploit while Steven's team requires more thought into your strategy.

But given that they'll be re-doing R/S's format with the villain teams (Magma in Omega Ruby, Aqua in Alpha Sapphire) I'm probably guessing they'll do Steven as Champion again, and that would mean Wallace as the 8th Gym Leader, given these seem to be pretty much remakes (except with some Megas and updated mechanics) and not an entirely new game.

Years
    I have a complete bias towards Steven because we share the same first name. Nothing felt better as a kid than bragging to my friends at school that I was the Champion of the Hoenn region :D

Bias aside I do like his steel oriented team a lot more than Wallaces water team, especially given that Juan's team is also water type in the 8th Gym.

If for whatever reason they run with Wallace as champion I would really like them to explore how and why it happens, as I don't remember it really being explained at all in Emerald.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    Looking at the pictures and videos so far, I believe Gamefreak will follow the RS route and make Steven the champion.

Years
    Let's think about how the game would play out if Wallace was champion. New story includes Mega evolution, power of Mega stones spreads across Hoenn, Steven becomes an avid researcher of the history behind this new way of evolution. Primal Reversion is discovered, based on fossils, artifacts, minerals, ancient times - Steven, understandingly, is elated. This is right up his alley! Finally, once the legendary Pokemon have been calmed and Archie and Maxie cast their differences aside, you challenge the Pokemon League. You see Wallace in the Champion's room, after interacting with Steven as is shown through released screenshots, throughout your entire journey. Sounds weird to me :c

Years
    I hope Steven returns as champion for old ruby sapphire times sake. I'd really like to see Wallace as the last gym leader to bring back my own childhood memories.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    In my opinion they will follow Emerald's, Steven will play a major part in the Hoenn's myth researches as well as studying stones and Mega Stones and Mega Evolution; Wallace will be the Champion.

OR OR.

Steven WAS the Champion, and he gives up his Champion position post game to Wallace, and then Juan takes up the 8th Gym where you're allowed to challenge the 8th gym again in one way or another :P

Crazy, but who knows.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    What if they make Wallace the 8th Gym Leader in one of the games and make Juan the 8th Gym Leader in the other one?

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    Steven WAS the Champion, and he gives up his Champion position post game to Wallace, and then Juan takes up the 8th Gym where you're allowed to challenge the 8th gym again in one way or another :P

Crazy, but who knows.
    Hm, now where have I heard this before?~

This sounds like such a special idea for this adventure.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    I actually kinda like this to happen in postgame. Maybe Juan will realize you got the badge already from Wallace and maybe perhaps give you a megastone? Or some kind of prize.

Years
    I do actually like Wallace as Champion to somewhat of an extent, if only because his character feels majestic and royal, which does make for an ideal characteristic for one. But Steven was more hardcore, although I wouldn't really care if either one ended up being it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back