• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wardrobe/Customization & Hair Options Discussion

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    You can't expect every new Pokémon title to have the exact same features, otherwise the franchise will be panned by fans and compare it to CoD. It's important that each title has some unique features exclusive to those titles. HG/SS, for example, is the only games to have a Pokelathalon, and B2/W2 has Pokestar Studios.
    Completely true. Game Freak has an annoying history of not making certain features standard to all games. There are some that are understandable, the mini-game type stuff being a good example.

But part of what Pokemon promotes is the uniqueness of each player. Their different play-styles, teams and experience. Players are encouraged to share parts of themselves with all the other players through trading and battling.

Trainer customization facilitates people expressing their personality in visual manner and adds to the notion that no trainer is the same. ORAS has a slight excuse, but even then its pretty weak. The coding exists for customization, they should use it.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • You can't expect every new Pokémon title to have the exact same features, otherwise the franchise will be panned by fans and compare it to CoD. It's important that each title has some unique features exclusive to those titles. HG/SS, for example, is the only games to have a Pokelathalon, and B2/W2 has Pokestar Studios.

However, I felt that the customization of not your clothes but your character's appearance was a big step forward for the franchise. Look at all the protagonists - they're white. I realize that as players we aren't really playing as ourselves but as other characters, but judging by the amount of white protagonists it's like their treating white as the default. Plus, all the boys have brown hair and a majority of the girls do as well. I mean, it gets boring after a while.

There's also a chance though that maybe they have separate artwork for different skin/hair colors, which would just be recolors of the ones shown. The poses / clothes would be the same for contests anyway.

Years
  • I agree with Altairis; customization was a huge step forward and it'd seem silly for it to be taken out in ORAS, even if the games are remakes. At the very least, including skin/hair/eye color customization would be nice, especially since some people might not be fond of the default designs or want the characters to look somewhat like themselves. (Also, I'm tired of most the protags. having brown hair; it's gotten old.)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • However, I felt that the customization of not your clothes but your character's appearance was a big step forward for the franchise. Look at all the protagonists - they're white. I realize that as players we aren't really playing as ourselves but as other characters, but judging by the amount of white protagonists it's like their treating white as the default. Plus, all the boys have brown hair and a majority of the girls do as well. I mean, it gets boring after a while.

There's also a chance though that maybe they have separate artwork for different skin/hair colors, which would just be recolors of the ones shown. The poses / clothes would be the same for contests anyway.
    I wonder why they made the first four regions protagonists only white, even Japan has non white skinned Japanese. Well same would apply to Unova as not everyone in America is a white European. Though my guess is that it's because for a long time white (the skin color, not the "race") in Japan was seen as the ideal.

At least we got the tan Brendan.
    I do think that customization is gone for these games. It'll hopefully be like the clock in Gen III's games, coming back for the third game and staying for the rest of the generations.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    It really does seem like customization is deconfirmed at this point, since your character gets their own 2D introduction artwork during the Contests (as opposed to a 3D one, which would change depending on how you've customized your character's skin tone, etc. A 2D one would have to be a separate artwork for each customizable aspect).
    Well, while it's good to brace yourself for the disappointment that trainer customization might not return, I would like to point out the possibility that the trainer art might be for your rival participating in a contest against you.

Granted, I'm pretty much sold on it not being there either.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I actually like the fact that trainer customization isn't gonna happen. I like the new characters

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I actually like the fact that trainer customization isn't gonna happen. I like the new characters
    Well the character aren't exactly new (they're updated versions of old characters), but their argument on how they're tired of seeing brown-haired white protagonists in Pokémon is like saying how they're tired having Link from LoZ being male all the time (it sounds like the mindset of a social justice warrior). It'll always be their default/canon appearance, and we don't want to mess with canon when it comes to any type of story.

Years
  • Comparing Link to the protags. in Pokemon is like comparing apples and oranges--they're both very different. Link is an established canon character (albeit he has various incarnations) and doesn't necessarily represent the players; the Pokemon protags. more or less represent the people who play the games. They may have default appearances, but I feel customization allows the players to insert themselves more into the games than before, thus making the games more enjoyable. Just my opinion.

Anyway, if customization (outside of the contest outfits) didn't return, I'd be sad, but it's not like that'll stop me from getting the games. I do like the female protag.'s design a lot, too, and I do like how the male protag. looks in-game, especially in the Rock Star outfit <3 Plus, ORaAS does raise a valid point in that it will likely return later if it isn't in ORAS.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Comparing Link to the protags. in Pokemon is like comparing apples and oranges--they're both very different. Link is an established canon character (albeit he has various incarnations) and doesn't necessarily represent the players; the Pokemon protags. more or less represent the people who play the games. They may have default appearances, but I feel customization allows the players to insert themselves more into the games than before, thus making the games more enjoyable. Just my opinion.

Anyway, if customization (outside of the contest outfits) didn't return, I'd be sad, but it's not like that'll stop me from getting the games. I do like the female protag.'s design a lot, too, and I do like how the male protag. looks in-game, especially in the Rock Star outfit <3 Plus, ORaAS does raise a valid point in that it will likely return later if it isn't in ORAS.
    But does anyone realize that our player character has to look like Norman or the professor? So you know

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I'm actually not that bothered if they remove the customization feature - provided if GF provided a lot of post-game content. To me, being able to customize your character was something fresh and unique, but still a wasted opportunity. XY could have easily distributed new clothes over SpotPass depending on region, and SteetPass these clothes whenever players of other regions mix. I'll be honest, one other reason why I've stopped playing XY is because I've bought every article of clothing. Next stop, Boutique Couture will mine. Sadly that won't happen.

Plus, this IS a remake after all. I would go ape **** if this is Kalos or a new region, but this is Ruby and Sapphire reintroduced in HQ graphics. It is expected for it to retain as many of its unique elements with a Gen VI touch (ie Amie, and I'm very sure PSS and Super Training or something similar will return, or else competitive battling will be terribly unfair). Character customization has always been a Kalos thing and not a Gen VI element.

Am I disappointed? Yes, but if Gamefreak can make it up with tons of post-game stuff, I'll be content.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2015
    I hope there's even more sock recolours! especially stripy socks ;O;
    I think it'd be cool if there were more pokemon-based outfits, like what if you could have a Gothorita dress?

Years
  • Sadly the following pokemons never came back since HGSS.

You know, I'm starting to now think customization is going to be Walking Pokemon 2.0 as a feature many loved that sadly only stuck for one game and never returned in the next game, especially after seeing this:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Years
  • You know, I'm starting to now think customization is going to be Walking Pokemon 2.0 as a feature many loved that sadly only stuck for one game and never returned in the next game, especially after seeing this:

Spoiler:

I think it'll be Time 2.0 . By that I am referring to how FrLg lacked a time mechanic even though one existed in RS (and GSC before those two), yet it came back again for Emerald and beyond, with DP bringing back GS style time. Actually Gen III lacking true night is another example of a feature being gone, but then returning later on. So we still have hope it'll return for 'Z' and beyond.

Johnnykal89

Johnny
    Years
  • Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2015
    My idea is to have customization on the mega rings like Gym Leader Korrina´s mega ring and be able to pick the color etc

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2014
    Game Freak cannot physically remove customization because of five key reasons.

#1: PSS uses icons and since the games will interact with XY players. It makes no sense for XY to have customization and ORAS without.

#2: PGL uses the same icons on their ranking system. Just like reason #1, it would make zero sense and it would look stupid.

#3: They cannot shoot themselves on the foot with a game thats supposed to sell more copies then XY2 will. Truly, remakes sell a lot better then 3rd games.

#4: Removing skin color options is a very bad idea. Because XY lets everyone play their way.

#5: Online battling uses customization. Same reasons just like #1 and #2.

Years
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    Game Freak cannot physically remove customization because of five key reasons.

#1: PSS uses icons and since the games will interact with XY players. It makes no sense for XY to have customization and ORAS without.

#2: PGL uses the same icons on their ranking system. Just like reason #1, it would make zero sense and it would look stupid.

#3: They cannot shoot themselves on the foot with a game thats supposed to sell more copies then XY2 will. Truly, remakes sell a lot better then 3rd games.

#4: Removing skin color options is a very bad idea. Because XY lets everyone play their way.

#5: Online battling uses customization. Same reasons just like #1 and #2.
    I would like to point out that interaction is not an issue. In Pokemon Crystal if the player attempted to battle another player as a girl the station attendant would stop you and give you a makeover to look like the male protagonist. Also I don't think Red and Leaf would appear if you battle them in Ruby and Sapphire.

Even if ORAS includes trainer customization it's likely that it would not be reflected in X and Y in either the arena or on the PSS due to designs not being finalized at the time of their release.

While I agree it would be a poor decision on GameFreak's part to remove the trainer customization feature it's definitely in the realm of possibility.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2014
    I understand your point so its cool. But i've seen nobody talk about a reason Game Freak would remove it. You got any ideas?

Back