• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I was kinda hoping they'd balance out Sceptile's offenses but they focus on Sp. Attack again which disappointed me since it has a more shallower special movepool compared to physical, but at least we have Sword Dance for that. That Speed and Sp. Attack pretty much shows its role is mainly a speedy special attacker and given that it blocks a huge threat in Thunder Wave its major threats are looking to be Talonflame, and also anything carrying Ice moves that can either outspeed or take a hit, or has Ice Shard.

Swampert on the other hand got a massive Attack boost while backing it up with boosts in both the defensive stats as well so yeah gonna be hard to take down without a Grass move which is the only weakness it even has. Moveset will likely be entirely physical-based but with Swift Swim patching up its low Speed it's pretty much what I agree with you, hard to revenge kill in rain. Thankfully Ice Punch should now be easier to get now that Move Tutors will be in OR/AS.

That being said, Brave Birds from Talonflame still hurt (Swampert's stats tweaked to match up with the Mega on Showdown's calculator):

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swampert: 217-256 (63.6 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swampert: 159-187 (46.6 - 54.8%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO

Of course, Mega Swampert has to be healthy if it wants to ever have a shot against Talonflame. But still, that bulk is ridiculous.

On the other hand, I can't help but imagine a core of Mega Steelix + Sand Rush Stoutland in sandstorm. Both have to be used with Sand Stream support from Smooth Rock Hippopotas. Assuming you can keep sand up, Mega Steelix breaks things in half with Sand Force-boosted attacks, while Stoutland can come in and clean up afterward. I highly doubt this core has effectiveness in OU, so that's why I mentioned Hippopotas instead of Tyranitar or Hippowdon.

Years
    That being said, Brave Birds from Talonflame still hurt (Swampert's stats tweaked to match up with the Mega on Showdown's calculator):

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swampert: 217-256 (63.6 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swampert: 159-187 (46.6 - 54.8%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO

Of course, Mega Swampert has to be healthy if it wants to ever have a shot against Talonflame. But still, that bulk is ridiculous.

Talonflame is still pretty much the biggest non-Grass threat thanks to those powerful Brave Birds, but still the really good bulk combined with how healthy Mega Swampert is what can make a difference under the right conditions. Just so unbelievable every Hoenn starter somehow gets threatened by Talonflame lol.

Also, on the topic of Mega Glalie the only thing that can easily wall its Explosion will be Damp users, and those are like not seen at all on a competitive basis so expect almost nothing to easily take it. And there's also Heatran... who's quad-resistant to Ice so I expect it'll be the major non-Damp wall to those Refrigerated Explosions.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Just so unbelievable every Hoenn starter somehow gets threatened by Talonflame lol.
    Talonflame threatens a lot of stuff lol. Though I find it a bit scary how something with only 81 base Attack can rip holes in so much.

Also, on the topic of Mega Glalie the only thing that can easily wall its Explosion will be Damp users, and those are like not seen at all on a competitive basis so expect almost nothing to easily take it. And there's also Heatran... who's quad-resistant to Ice so I expect it'll be the major non-Damp wall to those Refrigerated Explosions.
    Refrigerated Explosions sound nice, but would that actually be something people would commonly use? If Mega Glalie is even worth using at all.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    If Mega Glalie is even worth using at all.

I don't know, 120/120/100 offenses looks very, very potent. Additionally, it has a wonderful movepool composed of several support choices. We'll see, I suppose.

Last edited:

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    I hope M-Glalie gets Refrigerate for the sole purpose of Refrigerate + Explosion = awesome {XD}

Aren't you pleased as punch now eh?

Black2/White-esque move tutors are also confirmed to be back in ORAS, btw. THANK YOU GAME FREAK, NOW ****ING KEEP THEM IN FOR EVERY GAME FROM HERE ON OUT

Dollars to donuts they're still in every other game, being absent from the first titles of any new generation :P

That is at least good news, especially with the announcement that customization won't be appearing anymore so at least the more competitive players will be happy now. I was expecting move tutors to be in this game anyway.

Wait, it's confirmed we won't be able to change outfits in ORAS? D: Called it a million times over on the tutors being back tho. Whoop

On Mega Steelix / Glalie, nice. Steelix will see some offensive use now, and Glalie will see some use period haha. Pure Ice is still risky, but at least it's potent offensively now.

Polar Spectrum

Years
    Refridexplosions are gonna rip some teams apart. Like.. It's gonna be an easy way to bring things down that won't resist. Fair enough it's only on one mon (two for doubles) but yeah. Powerful stuff. To be honest I feel like I'm one of the few people who play competitively and actively like and want more mega evolutions

Hah, well for what it's worth I'm with you :P I just pray they go onto pokemon that actually need them.

Mega Scizor, imo, really never needed to happen. It didn't bring on a new typing, it kept the same ability anyone ever used for it for ever, and only boosted the stats that complimented its same strategy anyways. Which would be cool, for a pokemon that just needed the amped stats to see daylight in competitive, but Scizor was already at the top. Bring on more mega pidgeots and beedrill I say.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Apparently, someone hacked into OR/AS' demo and pulled out the Megas' stats:

Spoiler:

Spoiler'd not only for convenience, but also for those who don't want to look.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

Spoiler:

Oh god, Mega Rayquaza's stat spread is scary. 115 Speed makes it faster than most of Ubers bar the Mewtwos, Shaymin, Darkrai, Deo S and A, and some Arceus forms. And 180 in each offensive stat plus Delta Stream....

I'm a bit surprised that Mega Sharpedo didn't get more Speed, and that Salamence got a Defense boost.

And....does that say Mega Hoopa? Are they really gonna give that thing a Mega? Wtf Game Freak.

Polar Spectrum

Years

Spoiler:

Question - is that the definitive list of all Megas in ORAS then? I want to believe 'no', as I'm inclined from lack of any that haven't been revealed besides that one, but if it were I'd be saddish.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Oh god, Mega Rayquaza's stat spread is scary. 115 Speed makes it faster than most of Ubers bar the Mewtwos, Shaymin, Darkrai, Deo S and A, and some Arceus forms. And 180 in each offensive stat plus Delta Stream....

I'm a bit surprised that Mega Sharpedo didn't get more Speed, and that Salamence got a Defense boost.

And....does that say Mega Hoopa? Are they really gonna give that thing a Mega? Wtf Game Freak.

It's been advertised that Mega Mence gets a big Defense boost, so I wasn't surprised.

And actually, I'm honestly surprised that Mega Slowbro's Defense got jacked up all the way to 180. Now that's a tough nut to crack, even though it's still 2HKOed by Mega Heracross' Pin Missile.

As for Mega Beedrill's stats, I was like:
    Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Simply because they reduced its Special Attack in favor of boosting its Attack and Speed to crazy levels. Well, it's not like it needed it anyway.

Last edited:

Polar Spectrum

Years
    yeah looks like there's either a lot more bans on the way in that one community, or a lot more jimmies.

or both

But ey, is there any word on wether or not those are *all* the new Megas in ORAS? :c

Also, my Mega Rayquaza estimates were a mere 5 off in both defenses which went to speed. Fuuuuuu soclose

Edit: Also anyone else notice Hoopa goes from Ghost / Psychic to Dark / Psychic on mega? :0

srinator

Also I think all mega's should be banned from ou and a separate tier where mega's roam should be made :<

Years

Spoiler:

My thoughts on the stats.

Swampert - Most of it went into Attack as I expected, but dang those defenses are good.
    Sceptile - I was hoping they'd balance out Sceptile's offenses but they still went for the speedy special attacker route, guess that means we will still be using the shallower end of its offensive moves.
    Sableye - As I expected huge boost to both the defenses but it gets outsped by like almost everything.
    Altaria - Average Speed but really balanced stats across the board.
    Gallade - Huge boost to Attack, but some nice Sp. Def and Speed boosts thrown in as well.
    Audino - The defenses are heavily buffed but at the cost of leaving it pretty weak everywhere else.
    Sharpedo - Boost mainly went to Attack but also Sp. Atk slightly. Still has frail as heck defenses.
    Slowbro - Defense boost is really huge, along with Sp. Atk. Could likely see it running Calm Mind sets.
    Steelix - My god that is very strong Defense, almost on par with Mega Aggron. Nice boost to Attack as well, but lacking everywhere else. Must have been lots of depletion there if that Defense got so high.
    Pidgeot - Speedy special attacker is the forte here. Kinda nice to see they're making more benefits to Hurricane and Heat Wave by going from a physical regular form to a special Mega.
    Glalie - Very balanced, with the offenses and Speed getting the most. Still mediocre defensively though.
    Diancie - Balanced in almost everything. Only notable flaw is terrible HP but has equally boosted offenses. Still has solid stats in Speed and both the defenses.
    Metagross - Attack and Defense got the major boosts, with some nice Speed close behind. Gonna be quite a huge physical wrecker with Tough Claws.
    Kyogre - Boosts mainly the special stats, still good everywhere else.
    Groudon - Same stat spread as Primal Kyogre, but the boost goes to the physical stats.
    Rayquaza - Great stats in everything, but those big offenses and Speed are definitely nothing to sneeze at.
    Camerupt - Looks like special Fire move + Earth Power will be the staples in its moveset. Decent defenses but like Sableye it'll get outsped by a lot of things.
    Lopunny - Fast physical attacker is what its role will be. It'll outspeed a lot with that nice Speed stat.
    Salamence - Impressive stats everywhere except HP and Sp. Defense, which are still a bit average.
    Beedrill - Attack and Speed are the only ones that stand out here. Its Sp. Attack got so heavily depleted its almost non-existent. The Defense stat is still super-frail so it may need Protect just to get off the Mega evolving process safely.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Dafaq even is hoopa.
    It's this thing:

Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Hoopa is one of those legendaries that's hidden in the game code that Game Freak likes to pretend doesn't exist at first even though we all know they exist thanks to hackers.

But that's why I don't understand why it's getting a Mega Evolution. Hoopa hasn't even officially been revealed yet, but they wanna give it a mega? Save that **** for whatever the next Kalos game is Game Freak. Hoopa is a Kalos legendary, not a Hoenn one.

Also I think all mega's should be banned from ou and a separate tier where mega's roam should be made :<
    There is Ubers. :P

Polar Spectrum

Years
    Dafaq even is hoopa.

Well you could always do like 5th gen, or stick with X/Y where you already know what megas there are and stuff, or even 4th gen, that's still there -

But ay, some pretty dang relevant information I haven't seen in this thread that's actually nnnnnot mega related at all; ignoring all those roid buff mons with mega evos, have y'all seen the new moves they're actually giving to pokemon in ORAS just by level up?

Vibrava line gets Boomburst by level,
    Zubat line gets Quick Guard by level,
    Oddish line gets Moonblast by level,
    Huntail/Gorebyss get Coil by level,
    Gyarados gets CRUNCH (finally) by level,
    Mismagius gets Mystical Fire by level,
    Cacturne gets Spiky Shield by level,
    Shedinja gets Phantom Force by level,
    Milotic gets Coil by level,
    Shiftry gets Hurricane by level,
    Maractus gets Spiky Shield by level,
    Accelgor gets Water Shuriken by level now (lol this is the best one)
    Carvanah line gets Poison Fang by level,
    Illumise gets Play Rough by level,
    Castform gets Hurricane by level,
    Flygon gets Bug Buzz by level -

There may be a lot I missed but those are the ones I noticed / read about from the ORAS demo hack. Pretty exciting to see so many new moves on mons :D (still lol at water shuriken on Accelgor)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Well you could always do like 5th gen, or stick with X/Y where you already know what megas there are and stuff, or even 4th gen, that's still there -

But ay, some pretty dang relevant information I haven't seen in this thread that's actually nnnnnot mega related at all; ignoring all those roid buff mons with mega evos, have y'all seen the new moves they're actually giving to pokemon in ORAS just by level up?

There may be a lot I missed but those are the ones I noticed / read about from the ORAS demo hack. Pretty exciting to see so many new moves on mons :D (still lol at water shuriken on Accelgor)
    You forgot about Leaf Blade Nuzleaf. Finally, Shiftry doesn't have to rely on Seed Bomb, a tutor move, for Grass STAB (unless you evolved Nuzleaf too early).

Years

lol the Kalos starter signature moves are not exclusive to them anymore... but Mystical Fire on Mismagius is really nice. Hurricane can actually make good use of Castform's Rainy Form given the no-miss accuracy in the rain.

At least Gyarados can now get a move that is actually useful for its Mega given how weak Bite was. Moonblast on Oddish line is an oddity but it does fit with Oddish's Pokedex entry mentioning how it gets active at night (same reason why it learns Moonlight) but Nuzleaf getting Leaf Blade... finally a good Grass STAB for Shiftry.

Polar Spectrum

Years
    I'm so flippin' overjoyed with Mystical Fire Mismagius, it gets Fire Coverage (besides the laughable inferno from DW) AND a 100% chance to drop Sp Atk. Which can work wonders with mind games considering it gets Will O Wisp already. Water Shuriken does make sense on Accelgor as much as mystical fire Mismagius, because yeah. Witches 'n Ninjas. Leaf Blade on Shiftry will be a godsend too.

I know I missed a lot still, there's a comprehensive list somewhere - the above was just me picking out a few. And if nobody else got Mat Block, Greninja would appear to be the only one who still has a 'signature' move.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back