• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Welcome to Winter! The Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kroso

Sleeping soundly
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Dec 22, 2016
    o.o,French in my opinion is a strange language while Spanish is a rather easy language due to my heritage being Spanish.Sure wish I took French or a language or something.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I'd really like to learn Spanish. I'm good at French, and have basic German skills ("Meine Lieblingsfarbe ist blau! Die Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte ist köstlich!), but Spanish is the language I regret not learning at a young age.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    I was once told that French and Spanish were similar.

Spanish is way more similar to Portuguese than it is to French.
    Maybe I'm saying this because I know both languages, but French seems more similar to... I don't know... Italian maybe? than it is to Spanish.

Kroso

Sleeping soundly
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Dec 22, 2016
    It's all similar since it's based off the Latin alphabet only with a few adjustments here and there with the spelling and the accents.
    @Mr Cat Dog,You're right about Spanish being a troubling language at a young age to learn,but it's better to be born with that heritage then learn that specific language.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Spanish is considered a relatively easy language here though :x I feel lucky that I was born with English since it's supposed to be so hard to learn.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    The most difficult language to learn in my opinion, is either Chinese or Korean. Can you really memorize them all in just a year? :x

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Mandarin Chinese is considered the hardest language to learn in the world I think, with English as a close second. Chinese because every word almost has a different character, and English because of the huge amount of slang/exceptions to every rule.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    We had Chinese classes since two years ago, and I can never even remember a single thing. lmao ^^

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Spanish is considered a relatively easy language here though :x I feel lucky that I was born with English since it's supposed to be so hard to learn.

I don't know why. I mean, verbs in English? You only have to learn to use "will" and "would" and "be" and "have" properly and you can conjugate anything you want. In Spanish, you need to learn a specific word for each noun, each tense, everything. Also in English you can pretty much use any word as an adjective and create verbs out of the blue (ie: to google).

Also, in Spanish, you need to conjugate nouns- "chico" being different to "chicos" and to "chica", which adds double fun.

The only difference is that English has a strict order in sentences whereas in Spanish you can say the same thing in a million different ways, just putting the verb before the noun, or after, or in five different places within the sentence. But, again, if all English sentences are structured the same way, you only have to memorize it and there you go.

Oh, and don't get me started about accents and the world-famous ¡ and ¿- we are the only language in the world with opening signs for questions and exclamations!

Honestly, I don't think English is harder than Spanish, at all. The only explanation I can find is that learning a second language is always hard- any language ever.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Well I mean for example, past tense in English. The basic is adding "ed" obviously, but there are so many exceptions - ran, saw, was, had, knew, left, led, did, lent, and those are all that I could think of just off the top of my head. Each one of those has to be memorized individually. Also, check this out:

Spoiler:

Edit: Also imagine if someone didn't know the word "post" to post on a forum so they said "I'm going to go PokeCommunity". XD Google works both because google is so specific and it's broadly used, but not every noun works, lool.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    I have to admit, I was never taught a second language during my infancy and as such, can say it's much harder to learn a language after infancy in my opinion. I took Italian classes for nine years and did French for a semester but just never permanently memorised it like I do with English.

And that poem confused me.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Yeah, it's much better to learn 101 completely different verb conjugations (each one with their own completely different forms for present, past, future, simple, perfect, etc), including 52 irregular verbs: https://www.verbolog.com/conjuga.htm

At least the English list of Irregular Verbs only has three forms for each- be, was, been; know, knew, known (I remember singing that when I was 12- I had exams about that list until I left high school).

Also have you heard about the subjunctive?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I took French for four years so yeah. :P Just google "easiest language to learn" - the first five results all mention Spanish. When high schoolers are looking for a cake language class to fill up the language requirement we have, it's inevitably Spanish over all the others.

English isn't as high as I thought though in difficulty from what I'm reading. Not like it affects me at all but interesting to know.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I spent five years learning French and loved it. I really want to start up again because it really wasn't difficult but I've gotten incredibly rusty in the three years since I graduated high school.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    I would of loved to of learnt my native tongues from my parents. My father speaks Afrikaans and my mother speaks Seychellois Kreoles. It would of been incredible to know uncommon languages.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Sometimes, we need someone who really excels in the language they are teaching as they would probably teach us with ease. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back