• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Welcome to Winter! The Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Pfft, turkeys. I'M AUSTRALIAN AND I HAD CHICKEN FOR DINNER. Clearly the thing everyone should do.

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
    Years
  • Spoiler:

I think I win this one.

Wow, that is like...wow. xD
    Oh, and that sever problem thingy is so the reason why I haven't been on as much as I should the last few months. xP

Mhm, Thanksgiving is also on the 4th Thursday of November. :cer_tongue:

Happy Thanksgiving to those having it~!^^

Question for non-Americans: When does the Christmas/Holiday season start? Ya know, when they start playing Xmas songs and shows and whatnot.
    Here, it starts right after Thanksgiving so, was wondering when it starts everywhere else.

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
    Years
  • Yup, that's why we celebrate it. :cer_smile:

Wtf why is Thanksgiving on a Thursday? What an arbitrary day to choose!

B/c nobody knows when the exact date of the first Thanksgiving happened. All they know that it was on the 4th Thursday of Novermber. And thus, we always celebrate on the 4th Thursday of Nov.
    ~The More You Know (didn't feel like finding the pic for that xP)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Question for non-Americans: When does the Christmas/Holiday season start? Ya know, when they start playing Xmas songs and shows and whatnot.
    Here, it starts right after Thanksgiving so, was wondering when it starts everywhere else.

When everybody starts selling Christmas Lottery Tickets everywhere. Seriously, if you don't sell some, you are the weirdest person here. Schools, pubs, organizations... get four people together and they will sell you some tickets, guaranteed.

That usually happens by early November, but official shops already sell tickets by mid-July, which makes for some laughs.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • For UK-ers, I've always thought that the Christmas season starts soon after Halloween. Starbucks have their Red Cups filled with Gingerbread Lattes and other festive treats, commercials with Santa Claus start popping up, greetings cards shops start selling Christmas cards, radio stations start playing 'All I Want for Christmas is You' (by Mariah Carey and NOT Justin Bieber). It ramps up a notch when December kicks around, but the season really starts in November for many people... from my experience.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yup, that's why we celebrate it. :cer_smile:

B/c nobody knows when the exact date of the first Thanksgiving happened. All they know that it was on the 4th Thursday of Novermber. And thus, we always celebrate on the 4th Thursday of Nov.
    ~The More You Know (didn't feel like finding the pic for that xP)

Not quite. For a long time Thanksgiving was on the last Thursday of November, but then people didn't want to start the Christmas shopping season really really late on years when there were 5 Thursdays in November. So then they specified and said fourth. Because of shopping.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I think that's a set-up for most holidays these days. Especially around this time of year.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • He's kind of true about why it was moved. It was moved back in the... depression? I think...

I can't remember the specifics (History... I slept in that class... A lot.) but I think it was ment to give people a easier time frame for Christmas shopping in hopes that the extra money that would help the economy.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    He's kind of true about why it was moved. It was moved back in the... depression? I think...

I can't remember the specifics (History... I slept in that class... A lot.) but I think it was ment to give people a easier time frame for Christmas shopping in hopes that the extra money that would help the economy.

It was like...

1. Thanksgiving is the last Thursday of the month.
    2. Christmas shopping season comes after Thanksgiving
    3. OH NO THERE ARE 5 THURSDAYS THIS MONTH
    4. Shopping season is going to start on December 1st, people don't want that
    5. Half the country says "okay Thanksgiving is now the second-to-last Thursday of the month and half sticks with last thursday
    6. Finally some president declares that the FOURTH Thursday in November is Thanksgiving to get the entire country on one holiday and avoid the 5-Thursday problem

That's my summary of events!

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Actually, not very many people wanted the switch to happen. I don't remember much from the documentary we watched but I do remember that he caught major **** for doing this from just about everyone.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Maybe you know more about it than I do, I got it from a Cracked article iirc. :P

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Well, that's how Santa Claus and St. Valentine's Day and several other holidays were born so it's not that surprising XD

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    4000 posts whoop whoop it's only taken me two years to get the last 500 lol

I don't really care about Thanksgiving, lol. It's not celebrated here in New Zealand and as far as I'm concerned, it's just the last bump on the road towards the marvelous time of CHRISTMAS!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    4000 posts whoop whoop it's only taken me two years to get the last 500 lol

I don't really care about Thanksgiving, lol. It's not celebrated here in New Zealand and as far as I'm concerned, it's just the last bump on the road towards the marvelous time of CHRISTMAS!

And now NO ONE CAN STOP FROM LISTENING TO CHRISTMAS MUSIC

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back