• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what are you currently reading?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I'm reading Sir Terry Pratchett's Jingo. It's about politics, war, crime, and all sorts of things hidden under a heap of laugh-out-loud moments. :3

Kitty17794

disney devoted. disney owned.
    Years
    Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. I just love it, and it's sequel. I can read them over and over again... :3

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Gonna take up The Kite Runner. Gotta do a comparative essay on three novels and my teacher/online friend recommended it so I decided to take a gander.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I have stopped reading for quite awhile now, but I recently finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Although, it never gets old. I have read the whole series twice. XD

Martins

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    Veronica Decides to Die. It's a meh story, but I like the character in it.

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
    Re-Reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.
    I love the book to death. Last year we had to read it for english and over the summer this year, I decided to go buy a copy because I grew an attachment to the novel. ^^;

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Re-Reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.
    I love the book to death. Last year we had to read it for english and over the summer this year, I decided to go buy a copy because I grew an attachment to the novel. ^^;
    I love that book too! I had to read it for my english class as well and I was one of the only people who actually enjoyed it.

Anyway, I'm currently reading a book called Fingerprints of the Gods which is about the idea that an alien civilization or a lost civilization existed and we lost all records of it and they use it to try and explain all the weird wonders of the world. I love reading books like this, they make you wonder :)

i'm also reading Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B Du Bois for my race and ethnicity class.

xSharpShooter

Excellence of Execution
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2010
    Well for school, I'm required to read Beowulf, so that's what I'm reading ATM.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I just finished the newest Discworld book, I Shall Wear Midnight, the fourth and last in the Tiffany Aching subseries. I loved it, it was an amazing finale to the life of Tiffany Aching. Through the series she has gone from age eight to age seventeen, and matured and changes greatly. Pratchett's characters are not static, they all change and grow (not always for the better), and experience things that make them who they are.
    While the Tiffany subseries was originally for older children, it has progressed through the age levels and with I Shall Wear Midnight become almost as adult as the rest of the Discworld arcs. I liked that progression and I could see it happen throughout, similar to the Harry Potter series.

The book itself focused on the young witch Tiffany Aching, her relationships with others, and her "steading"- the region that she serves the people, animals, and land of. This time she has to fight off an evil greater than any she has faced before. While that sounds cliche, the actual story is not at all. There are many cameos of characters from other arcs of the Discworld series who don't just appear but add to the story in unique ways. I absolutely loved the mature turn this book took, and love what Pterry did with it.

tl;dr: I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett. Amazing. But read the other Tiffany Aching books first.

Years
    I just finished the newest Discworld book, I Shall Wear Midnight, the fourth and last in the Tiffany Aching subseries. I loved it, it was an amazing finale to the life of Tiffany Aching. Through the series she has gone from age eight to age seventeen, and matured and changes greatly. Pratchett's characters are not static, they all change and grow (not always for the better), and experience things that make them who they are.
    While the Tiffany subseries was originally for older children, it has progressed through the age levels and with I Shall Wear Midnight become almost as adult as the rest of the Discworld arcs. I liked that progression and I could see it happen throughout, similar to the Harry Potter series.

The book itself focused on the young witch Tiffany Aching, her relationships with others, and her "steading"- the region that she serves the people, animals, and land of. This time she has to fight off an evil greater than any she has faced before. While that sounds cliche, the actual story is not at all. There are many cameos of characters from other arcs of the Discworld series who don't just appear but add to the story in unique ways. I absolutely loved the mature turn this book took, and love what Pterry did with it.

tl;dr: I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett. Amazing. But read the other Tiffany Aching books first.
    I didn't realize there was another Tiffany Aching book out. I'm really behind in my Pratchett reading.

I'm currently in the middle of The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers. I'd recommend it or any other of his books to anyone who's a Pratchett fan. His books are silly (the two I've read so far) but smart. Plenty of subtle humor (less than Pratchett though) and lots of imagination. They're the kind of books that you get sucked into and don't want to put down.

Actually, I'd recommend them to anyone who just likes a good book and doesn't mind that they take place in a fantasy world with lots of ridiculous things around to add fun and color.

Back