• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What books have you read lately?

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I highly recommend it.

Holy cow, I finished reading that book for Honors English several weeks ago. I loved it!!

But anyway, the last book I read was Rx, a novel by Tracy Lynn. It's about a popular, much-loved Honors student who's..................

a drug dealer. :D It was one of those books in which I have trouble putting down.

Sooner or later I've got to start reading Harry Potter again...

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Right now I'm on Chapter 2 of Brisingr. Haven't found time to read it and the sad part about it is that Eldest took me atleast 3 days to finish.

Other than that, I highly suggest the Cirque Du Freak series, the Demonata series, and the Pendragon seres. Very good books.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Something about the War of 1812 but I don't remember the title or author since I didn't read much during the summer lol. Very interesting book and war though.

Also read Mythology by Edith Hamilton for school, your average book on Greek mythology. It wasn't too bad.

Kitty-Kat

Shirley Huge Chest
    Years
    Right now I'm reading Vampire Academy [hehehe, vampires... <3] which a friend let me borrow. It's pretty cool so far, though not yet something I would consider among my favorites.

I just got finished with a book called Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie, by Holly Black. Before that I read Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale, also by Holly Black. They're a really good series, I like Holly Black's characters a lot. And her settings. Her writing is pretty good, but not the best. But I still really liked her books and would definitely recommend them to people :D

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Nothing at the moment, but I'm searching for those Twilight books I hear so much about, and that movie trailer got me intrigued.

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
    Nothing at the moment, but I'm searching for those Twilight books I hear so much about, and that movie trailer got me intrigued.

They're so hard to find these days in libraries (or, at least, in all of the ones in my area).
    So glad I borrowed Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse from my cousin (and bought Breaking Dawn myself).

Surprisingly, the only book I've read recently is Brisingr, which was a week or so ago. I got it Friday morning, and finished sometime early Monday morning. Normally, I'm reading off the hook, but I seem to find myself busy with other things.

Anyways, I thought Brisingr was pretty good. I'm bating my breath for the next one, which I think I'm starting to dread a little bit.

Sounds

Attrapez les tous!
    Years
    I started reading a book about some police officer,it sucks..but for a book report

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
    I just finished The Scarlet Letter(died), The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe, and Fahrenhight 451 for English and am reading 1984.

I hated The Scarlet Letter. With a burning passion. I'm doing a worthless project on it in English right now. I want to stab myself in the face. This is completely my opinion, but I want Nathaniel Hawethorne to die again and burn. He's such a freaking stuck up prick. His story is all superfluous vocabulary, unnecessary description, and, for me, to simplistic a plot. Apparently people were so stupid in the 1800's that he needed to tell them what was a flipping symbol!

I loved Fahrenhight 451. It was a wonderful book with a great theme. i finished it in three days, two if I'd read it for the two days I actually read it. Great theme that would probably for the idiots of our generation to read.

I absolutely love children's books. TLW&W and Peter in the Kingsbury Gardens(aka peter Pan before the play and Disney) are absolutely wonderful. Did you know Peter had a goat?I love catching up on children's books I didn't read back then. Alice in Wonderland is also one of my largest favorites. Children's classics, uncorrupted by Disney or "cleaned up" by the western culture (Little Red Ridding Hood), are my most favorite types of stories ever.

1984 I have made practically no progress in because I haven't the time to read it currently.

One series I really do dislike however is the Twilight Series. I read halfway through the first book and got bored. Fangirls of the series are also extrodinarily scary. i would know. Several of my friends are. Sparkly vampires just aren't my thing.

P.S. Please underline book titles. You people make grammar weep in pain.

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
    Witch by Christopher Pike is amazing.
    Also
    Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer is amazing :3

Years
    Currently reading The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke, Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice and The Wizard of Rondo by Emily Rodda. After that I'm going to read Frankenstein and the next House of Night book.

I just finished The Scarlet Letter(died), The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe, and Fahrenhight 451 for English and am reading 1984.

I hated The Scarlet Letter. With a burning passion. I'm doing a worthless project on it in English right now. I want to stab myself in the face. This is completely my opinion, but I want Nathaniel Hawethorne to die again and burn. He's such a freaking stuck up prick. His story is all superfluous vocabulary, unnecessary description, and, for me, to simplistic a plot. Apparently people were so stupid in the 1800's that he needed to tell them what was a flipping symbol!

I loved Fahrenhight 451. It was a wonderful book with a great theme. i finished it in three days, two if I'd read it for the two days I actually read it. Great theme that would probably for the idiots of our generation to read.

I absolutely love children's books. TLW&W and Peter in the Kingsbury Gardens(aka peter Pan before the play and Disney) are absolutely wonderful. Did you know Peter had a goat?I love catching up on children's books I didn't read back then. Alice in Wonderland is also one of my largest favorites. Children's classics, uncorrupted by Disney or "cleaned up" by the western culture (Little Red Ridding Hood), are my most favorite types of stories ever.

1984 I have made practically no progress in because I haven't the time to read it currently.

One series I really do dislike however is the Twilight Series. I read halfway through the first book and got bored. Fangirls of the series are also extrodinarily scary. i would know. Several of my friends are. Sparkly vampires just aren't my thing.

P.S. Please underline book titles. You people make grammar weep in pain.

Yes, Twilight fans do scare me, particularly when I say that Edward Cullen's not my type and that there are better vampire books out there. Hehe. Their faces were priceless when I said a goth guy was hotter than their beloved Edward... ;p
    Farenheit 451's by Ray Bradbury right? If so it's on my 'to-read list'.

Last edited:

GuardianofAuraGirl

I've just finished reading Vampire Kisses: Blood Relations Vol.2 by Ellen Schreiber, Disney Fairies: Silvermist and the Ladybug Curse by Gail Herman, and InuYasha Vol.35 by Rumiko Takahashi. I'm reading Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg by Gail Carson Levine at the moment.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Just finished Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment

But Twilight was always a good read. C:

Teara

First visit in 4 years (oops)
    Years
    I'm taking a break from Les Miserables because it's, ahem, rather lengthy.
    I read this one, Hothouse Kids, recently and it was really interesting albeit not entertaining- no punch line, heh. So after that I had to read one of my favorites, Mr Darcy's Diary, a retelling of Pride And Prejudice, to recover.

Now I really want to get done with Les Mis, because I just bought this beautiful work. The Iliad and Odyssey in a leather bound, gold leafed, special edition, super fantastic book WITH. . . a little book mark ribbon. Ahaaaaa~! luv.

Teara

First visit in 4 years (oops)
    Years
    Finished Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami (very, very hen, like all his books are)
    And just finished The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde, of course. A good read.

Might go read some of the books on this thread (I've had a severe reading drought for the past year) T_T

The Picture of Dorian Grey is one of my favorites! I read it twice then let my room mate barrow it and it got lost in the abyss of our apartment :/

Have you seen the movie adaptation? I haven't but I would really like to, although from what I've seen the newer one doesn't portray him quite like the book does.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini a while ago... It was kind of a disappointment compared to his first book in my opinion, but it was still good nonetheless.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Twilight... that's the last time I listen to a bunch of Edward-obsessed freshmen for book advice. I'm really mad at how Meyer changed a lot of fundamental rules about vampires (sparkle sparkle, anyone?). Also, I'm not entirely sure what the plot of the book is. A problem doesn't really occur until half way through the book and I'm not entirely satisfied by the way it was resolved. Then there's Breaking Down... well, just read the reviews. You'll understand. But I heard New Moon wasn't all bad.

GuardianofAuraGirl

Just finished reading a children's book, Disney Fairies: Fariy dust and the Quest for the Egg by Gail Carson Levine. I'm going to read Disney Fairies: Rani and the Mermaid Lagoon by Lisa Papademetriou.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    A while ago I finished Stuck In Neutral which a marvelous depiction of life through the eyes of a mentally handicapped child. And I also read Kindred, but it was a class assignment, so I had to. In a nutshell, Kindred does have an intresting concept, but it didn't really seem to relate to me that much. But then again most people never relate to mandatory reading.

Back