• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What could have been better in X/Y?

Jabberwocky

A man ain't nothin' but a man
Years
  • The story was a huge disappointment, quite frankly. Nowhere near as polished or substantial as what Gen V gave us. That's not to say it wasn't still a solid game, but it kind of felt like going for some rhubarb pie after having just finished with some apple.

Years
  • I still think they should do more with the animations. I realize its hard now that the pokemon move, but I think that Gen 3/4 sprites more interesting, because most of them are doing something. Nowadays, they just stand around and occasionally shake in most cases.

I also think the distribution of Mega's is a bit unfair. It leans more towards popular pokemon than pokemon who actually needed one.

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2015
    I would like the next game to take longer, more specifically the on-going battle you have with the protoganist. And it would be good to have more towns to explore,i enjoy the mix of small and big towns but providing more content to add more gametime.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    The difficulty could have been a bit more existent... I know I could just turn the exp.share off, but even then, the gym leaders are, in my opinion, push overs (The amount they have only goes up to three Pokemon? Really?)

Years
  • the altered cries for certain Pokémon

This, absolutely agreed. While I think some of the cries are hilarious (I really like Psyduck's modified cry hahahaha), there were some that completely ruined certain Pokemon for me. Notable ones include Raichu, Dugtrio, Pelipper, Karrablast, Shelmet, Sudowoodo, Skarmory, Corphish, Haxorus and Staryu.

There might some others I don't like the new cries of, but I know Dugtrio, Raichu and Karrablast's ones sound terrible compared to the old ones. I feel like theirs didn't need to be changed at all.

I also think the distribution of Mega's is a bit unfair. It leans more towards popular pokemon than pokemon who actually needed one.

Yeah, I do admit that while I enjoy using Megas the distribution was a little bit off in my opinion. But hey at least Mawile managed to become usable competitively now along with it gaining Fairy-type, so hey that's good something benefitted. And also Charizard now able to run different sets based on his Mega as well, given he has two.

I do hope next generation they can focus on more underrated Pokemon to get new Megas, and hopefully give 5th Gen some Megas at the same time.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    The difficulty could have been a bit more existent... I know I could just turn the exp.share off, but even then, the gym leaders are, in my opinion, push overs (The amount they have only goes up to three Pokemon? Really?)

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people make complaints about that. ): Even after you turn Exp. Share off, difficulty still remains a little easy. In the next installment, would be great if they could have us set difficultly from title screen, where you select "new game," "continue," etc.

Years
  • Yeah, I've seen a lot of people make complaints about that. ): Even after you turn Exp. Share off, difficulty still remains a little easy. In the next installment, would be great if they could have us set difficultly from title screen, where you select "new game," "continue," etc.

I guess people were too used to Challenge Mode in B2/W2, and while I did use the Exp. Share on my playthrough of X, it did at least allow me to grind more Pokemon at once. And my advice to anyone who wants a challenge, just turn it off.

But then again, I guess the reason why many are finding themselves overleveled is that you now get EXP points for catching Pokemon. I often tried to catch every Pokemon when I visited an area.

Well I think they should of added to the post-game. That's where it was really lacking

The first games of a new generation are always expected to be lacking in postgame content compared to the sequels/third versions or remakes. I'm sure a third version or sequel to X/Y will be released in the near future and hopefully the postgame content will me much bigger.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    An aftergame worth mentioning. Between the lack of a damn thing to do after the laughably pathetic E4, and the delay of Pokebank, I was burnt out on the game by the end of the month, and I didn't even get it til December.

Years
  • Definitely needs a selectable difficulty setting. Exp Share is far too generous, better to have the single item for a pokemon to hold and work hard if you need multiples. Even catching was way too easy, caught mewtwo with a single ultra ball.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    Yeah, I've seen a lot of people make complaints about that. ): Even after you turn Exp. Share off, difficulty still remains a little easy. In the next installment, would be great if they could have us set difficultly from title screen, where you select "new game," "continue," etc.

I honestly don't know why they haven't used difficulty settings like that yet... In B/W 2 they tried to use them, but the fact that we had to unlock them was a bit annoying. I just want, options where it says, Easy, Medium, or Hard, and depending on what you choose, Pokemon's levels, Trainer A.I, and Wild Pokemon A.I is altered.

Years
  • I find it really annoying that the pokedex doesn't let you see each pokemon in it's full 3D glory on the top screen, only a tiny picture that you can't move and rotate like you can on the bottom screen. Not only that but it covers the pokemon in those annoying grey dots to make it look more like a real pokedex, stoopid.

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2014
    X and Y was a great game don't get me wrong. But I have a few issues that I think should be fixed when, and if there's a 3rd game:

-Move tutors, and lots of them. I mean Black/White 2 hit the spot with that but this is ridiculous
    -More specific GTS search and allowing special pokemon to be traded. Don't you want the ability to search for shinies or offer shiny for shiny?

I actually feel differently regarding your first suggestion. Pokemon are definitely more limited this generation in their movepools, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Offensive movepools were becoming so vast in B/W that it felt like pokemon were becoming less and less unique.

That being said, I miss Heal Bell. ;)

I very much agree that, for the most part, they gave popular pokemon megas and made many overpowered, rather than using megas as a way to make underused pokemon legitimate competitive options. Mega Tyranitar with a 700 base stat total? Really, was that necessary?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    The post-game, without a doubt. Once you become the champion, there's precious little things that you can do afterward in X/Y.

Not to mention that the game forces you to fight in the Battle Maison in order to upgrade your mega ring, so that you can get more of those mega stones.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • For people to stop complaining that their kids games are too easy

More fairy type conversions. I'm not a huge fairy fan, but having more previous generations' pokemon, especially dainty legendaries, get fairy would be nice.

More megas. A lot more.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    I had never played a Pokemon game since Silver/Soulsilver, i always thought that with each generation you would go to the previous region and beat that area, just like in Gen 2. So I was amazed that this wasn't the case at all with X/Y, I was really looking forward to going to the gen 5 region but no such luck.

For me X/Y needs more stuff:
    - More mega evolutions
    - More customisation
    - More areas
    - More legendaries
    - And more of a reason to keep coming back to the game!

For me Pokemon should take a leaf out of MMOs and what Destiny is doing by updating it and using expansions rather than different games. I think Pokemon is one of those few franchises that would be perfect as a "service" game rather than yearly installment.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
  • Being able to choose which legendary bird to encounter regardless of other factors would have been good.

I wish you could catch all three regardless of your starter, but that's just me not wanting to have to go through the pain of catching them all in either FireRed or SoulSilver and parting with them in either Kanto or Johto before going through the migration process two or three times just to get them into Y

Back