• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do people in the Pokemon World eat? (New)

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    Like the many mysteries / unexplained things about Pokémon, it would cause complications to explain the facts about what do people / Pokémon eat. Although, in the anime there have been appearances of "animals". Pokémon prey on other Pokémon as well, though it is not discussed into great detail. So I think people do eat meat and fish (though I am vegetarian and the mere sight of meat makes me barf) and also plant produce, and of course, milk (from Miltank) and water.

Years
  • Well, we can be sure of something : SlowpokeTails
    They eat them, or at least, some people did when Team Rocket started cutting them.

That's right, also the slowpoke's who get their tails cut off will have it grow back later (at least in the HGSS games). I think that's just because making the Pokémon games a little bit more child-friendly. :)

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Animals_in_the_Pok%C3%A9mon_world

In multiple episodes you can see Ash and the gang eat hamburgers. I've also seen a picture of a fish shoal from the anime on a website (can't remember wich).

Years
  • I'm sure their choice of food is much similar to ours. I've seen in many episode them eating everyday food that we eat.

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    BACON!!!

In season 1 episode 13 - Mystery at the lighthouse Brock offered to cook Bill a bacon-double cheeseburger.

Source: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EP013#Synopsis

Bacon has also been mentioned in the Pokémon Adventures manga:

jb2448.info/var/resizes/Pokemon_Special_Miscellaneous/bacon.jpg

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Wow, great topic (so many different opinions enjoyed reading them all) - some Pokémon are based on real-world carnivores so I'm guessing some Pokémon eat others for food source - I'm assuming it might be similar to People in the anime.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • What do people in the Pokemon World eat? (New)

I'd imagine that they also eat regular vegetables, and maybe some Miltank burgers.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • A book in canalave library has a verse about picking the meat off of a Pokemon's bones and eating it and then thanking it for the meal, so yeah, people eat pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2012
    They eat Pokemon. One episode Ash was scared that Prof. Oak ate his Krabby. Different things show that Pokemon are sometimes eaten.

Bethanie

Sound Soldier
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2012
    Funny, because in GSC/HGSS if you go up to the oven it says something about burgers...so Miltanks? lol

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2012
    I'm just a little bit intrigue on what Brook used to cook foods for Pikachu and the rest of Pokemon.

Lake Rodary

Novice Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2012
    If you read some of the books in the Library in Sinnoh, they mention how Pokemon are eaten. I'm assuming they eat Pokemon, although there are animals in the Anime.

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    This whole post is copied from this Bulbapedia article. Credit to Bulbapedia for this amazing article.

In the games

A few Pokédex entries have mentioned the existence of real-world animals, mostly in Generation I.

In both Raichu's and Gastly's Pokédex entries in FireRed, Indian Elephants are mentioned.
    In several of Bellsprout's Pokédex Entries, it is said that it preys on insects.
    In Red, Blue, and Yellow Versions, the player makes a comment about crabs while aboard the S.S. Anne.
    In Red, Blue, and Yellow, FireRed and LeafGreen Versions, a chef aboard the S.S. Anne says "Er-hem! Indeed I am le CHEF! Le main course is Eels au Barbecue!" He also speaks of a "Salad le salmon" and a beef/veal dish.
    In Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs, barnacles can be seen in underwater areas.
    In Black and White a Trainer in the Battle Subway says he is so obsessed with Pokémon that his wife is as mad as a hornet.

In the anime

A real-world cat on anime concept art Animals have been seen in the anime. They were more common in the original series as there weren't as many Pokémon species introduced at the time. A picture book based on the Pokémon anime once featured a dog walking past Ash and his friends, and a piece of concept art of the residents of Pallet Town featured a cat. Birds can also occasionally be heard in the background. Foods that contain meat products, such as hamburgers and chicken are often seen. Animal appearances have become less frequent as more Pokémon have been added to take their places.

Ash Catches a Pokémon: Misty is scared when she sees a Caterpie, and Ash tries to calm her down by reminding her that it's a Bug-type Pokémon rather than a "real" bug. Pidgeotto is seen eating a regular worm before being captured by Ash.
    Challenge of the Samurai: As a pun on Caterpie, Ash is seen in a cow costume.
    The Water Flowers of Cerulean City
    : Fish can be seen in the fish tanks inside the Gym. They have made later appearances featuring the Cerulean Gym.
    Path to the Pokémon League: Misty mentions that A.J.'s ability to control Pokémon with a whip was similar to a lion tamer.
    Pokémon Shipwreck:More fish can be seen swimming in the ocean near the sunken St. Anne. A fish biting Slowpoke's tail
    Island of the Giant Pokémon: In the episode's Dare da?, a fish is biting Slowpoke's tail.
    Tentacool & Tentacruel: Fish can be seen in the aquarium in Nastina's vision of her completed luxury hotel.
    The Ghost of Maiden's Peak: A Gastly created an illusion of a mongoose in order to scare Jessie's Ekans.
    The Tower of Terror: When Charmander lights up the room, a mounted deer head can be seen on the wall.
    Fashion Flash: One of the signs on Scissor Street features a crab.
    Holiday Hi-Jynx: Santa Claus tells Ash and his friends that he has "no reindeer" to pull his sleigh, and uses a Ponyta instead.
    The Battling Eevee Brothers: In one scene, James is holding a lobster.
    Attack of the Prehistoric Pokémon: In the Japanese version, Gary finds an Ammonite fossil. In the dub it is refereed to as fossilized Pokémon dung.
    Case of the K-9 Capers: Meowth compares his voice to one of the chipmunks after inhaling a gas coming from a tank with a Psyduck on it.
    Riddle Me This: While Ash and his friends are looking for a hotel to stay in, a picture of a tiger can be seen in one of the hotels. Furthermore, during Gary's banquet, a fish is seen sliced up.
    Clefairy Tales: While Ash and his friends are falling down the sewer pipes, several skeletons of unidentified prehistoric animals are seen.
    Mewtwo Strikes Back: Miranda talks to seagulls to learn the conditions of the sea.
    Go West, Young Meowth: While Meowth was looking for food, he came across some fish bones. Meowth is also seen eating fried chicken.
    To Master the Onix-expected: While Ash and his friends are resting, their elderly female host mentions the disappearance of her "muskrat meatballs."
    A Friend Indeed: The characters are eating shrimp tempura.
    Meowth's Song: Meowth mentions insects.
    The Joy of Pokémon: Real fish can be seen in the moment before a young Joy falls into the water.
    Meowth Rules!: Meowth is seen holding, and talking about eating Clams.
    Grin to Win!: A fried chicken stand can be seen, as well as a chicken thigh, at the Sunflora festival.
    Foul Weather Friends: Meowth mentions chicken feed.
    Fossil Fools: A fish can be seen in statue form, being attacked by Kabutops.
    Hook, Line, and Stinker: When one of Misty's catches escapes from her fishing line, Ash says that it was probably a catfish.
    Trouble's Brewing: Meowth's food illusion created by the Gastly includes a fish.
    The Stolen Stones!: Near the ending, Misty mentions a doghouse.
    Mantine Overboard!: Various corals are visible underwater.

In the manga

In How I Became a Pokémon Card, a cat appears in one chapter.
    In Pokémon Pocket Monsters, regular animals appear alongside Pokémon.
    In Pokémon Get da ze!, a snail appears in one chapter.
    In Pokémon Adventures, there were real-life mice, shrews and birds as Bellsprout, Weepinbell and Victreebel's prey at the Safari Zone.
    In The Electric Tale of Pikachu, the Cerulean Gym Aquarium has real-life fish and whales.
    In Pokémon Adventures, Pika is seen chasing a butterfly or a moth.

In the TCG

Numerous early Pokémon cards featured animals.

A bird perched on a Weepinbell.
    A bug near a Bulbasaur.
    A frog next to an Oddish.
    A wasp flying near a Venonat.
    A Butterfly flying near a Squirtle, and an Eevee.
    A worm for Magikarp and Spearow.
    A crab next to an Exeggutor
    A fish near a Psyduck
    Coral near Horsea, Quagsire, and Luvdisc.
    Sea anemones near Wooper.
    Butterflies and fish near a Slowpoke.
    The shadow of what appears to be a shark is on the original Super Rod card.
    Fish, or perhaps porpoises, near a Magikarp.

In books

At least three animals can be spotted in the Let's Find Pokémon! series.
    In Let's Find Pokémon!, a dragonfly can be seen near a pond, and a worm can be seen in the beak of a Pidgey.
    In Let's Find Pokémon! 3, a Kangaskhan is eating a fish with rice.

Anime pictures:

Spoiler:
    A real-world dog featured in a picture book.

Spoiler:
    A real-world cat on anime concept art.

Spoiler:
    Ash in a cow costume.

What do people in the Pokemon World eat? (New)

A fish biting Slowpoke's tail.

Spoiler:
    The mongoose in The Ghost of Maiden's Peak.

Spoiler:
    Ammonite fossil.

Spoiler:
    Meowth finds fish bones.

Spoiler:
    Kabutops and its prey.

Last edited:

LadyAyeka

Warlord of Aurora
    Years
  • In Diamond & Pearl there is a book with a legend in it stating that humans once ate Pokémon. However, it's viewed as a rather savage practice.

Given that the Pokémon World is not too unlike Earth (as the movie intros keep implying), I think they probably eat the same sort of stuff we do. I mean, why not?

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • @PokeAwesome94 In addition to that, I might want to add that Meowth steals fried chicken while with the Persian gang in that Back to Hollywood episode.

I'm just a little bit intrigue on what Brook used to cook foods for Pikachu and the rest of Pokemon.
    Vegan foods can be cooked quite awesomely (curry anyone?) if you know what you're doing and you have the right spices. Though it's very hard to find a good vegan cook, Brock (now Cilan) is just the right type of person to take on such a task.

But now that we can see that it's not too hard to find animal-eating references in Pokémon, it's not too outrageous to assume that they're using some sort of animal byproduct (e.g. eggs and milk) or actual meat to cook their food.

Last edited:

Marlo

Missing Person
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure that some Pokémon eat other Pokémon. I personally don't really consider anything except the games canon and they never mention eating Pokémon (only real-world animals).

besides ↴

I could imagine that some free range Pokémon meat may be a delicacy or something. The people in Johto were very anti-SlowpokeTail hunting and it talks about the tails being tasty.

Most everyone is probably lacto-vegetarian (because of milk references).

Which is fine with me! I don't eat meat anyway. :D

LinooneFriend

Pokefriend
    Years
  • Probably Pokemon are a good part of their diet ie. slopoke tail. And I'm ok with it if they have magikarp sushi from time to time. Just as long as it's not fried linoone!
    Also, who's to say the veggies aren't grass Pokemon? That could be oddish stew with bayleef seasoning! D: !

Back