• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you call the currency?

What do you call the currency?

• Total voters

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
Years
  • I just call it money/dollars/etc.
    I was always under the impression that the canon name was PokéDollars, since that's what they called it in Pokémon Monopoly.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • I call it by the amount. I just say "oh, i got 250." The currency itself gets no name from me, lol. I don't even call dollars "dollars." I'm rude and name it depending on the amount.
    I usually just state the amount and not the units. For example, I might say, "A Poké Ball costs two hundred."

Yeah, I used to do that also, up until the day I played Mystery Dungeon.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • I call them PokeDollars, because in Canada that's the name of the currency. If I were in Japan I'd call it PokeYen. XD

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Do the anime characters ever mention money? ._.
    Since I first started playing the games, I didn't even care about the currency, since I couldn't really find anything to relate the sign with. So I was like "Yay, I won 250." or something like that after battles.

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
  • Well, I say "I just got 250 bucks" when I defeat a trainer, and otherwise PokeDollars.

So...
    Bucks
    PokeDollars

IN POKEMON XD, THEY ARE NAMED

Well the only canon where they clearly state the name is, as you said, the Mystery Dungeon Series. While this follows and extravagantly different canon then the Anime or Main Games, it still is canon.

The symbol itself is based off of the Yen, but instead of a Y going through it, it is a P, leading to the common fan name "Pokeyen".

In my fanon I call it in all terms "PK". Mainly because you can't type the actual symbol with a keyboard. In my mind 1.00 PK translates to 1 penny (who would pay 100 dollars for a Pokeball?). But I pronounce it Poké. Good question though. Many people just ignore it, but it's good to see you've brought it up.

With all regards,

-ChrisTom
    They call it Pokemon Dollar in Orre, so it isn't only in MD-and in MD you use Poke, which is used by POKEMON not TRAINERS

Last edited:

AntiZero

Remember?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    I usually just call it "money", "dollars", or occasionally "PokeDollars".

Anything that lets me easily know its a currency is fine with me.

Years
  • I've always just refered to it as monies. I don't know why, but even when I first played the first game when I was 6 or 7, I just said "monies".

Years
  • I just call it dollars, but as you start with P3000, I translate that to $30.00, so when you defeat your rival, you get $3.00 from him. It makes sense to me.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • I call it Pen but I will often refer to it as money since not everybody will know what I'm talking about.

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
  • I call it Lady Gaga money because Lady Gaga used it in one of her videos. I think it was Bad Romance...

But really, I just call it PokéDollars.

Nohr

Long-time Trainer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Nov 24, 2016
    I'm just a hardcore RPGer, I guess, so I find myself calling it gold. If I actually think about it, it doesn't make any sense, it's just force of habit.

Neelh

i am so win lol!!1! :P
    Years
  • Pokedollars. Simple. Always called it that.

*Pokes dollar*

Rubbish joke, I know.

Back