• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you name your rival?

Fli

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    Let's see...
    In my first game (Firered) I went on a "he has to have a name of a sharp object" kick and he was named Thorn, then Tooth, then Spike, then I ran out of sharp objects and just called him rival. I don't remember the name for Yellow (though I know it wasn't any of the traditional/given names). Emerald names the rival for you and he was Silver in SoulSilver. Oh yeah, he was weirdo in Diamond because he looked weird to me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I just picked the most appealing of the default names. I don't recall them since I never cared much.
    I did name the rival in GSC '???' though, given the way he makes it sound like it actually is his name (poorly translated dialogue?), and I thought the police officer would actually catch him. Wasn't expecting him to be a rival and never really did think of him as such.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Well, in Gold/HG I named the rival Sit (I was little when I first played Gold and I thought it'd be funny, but I tried to do a different name in HG, but it just didn't feel right, you know?), but lately, I've named all of my rivals Jack after my gf's dad (He's a dink and I wanted to beat up his pokemon when I replayed Blue ... and now it just feels appropriate)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • In recent games, he's been named Tony (SS) and Terry (Plat). I'm not that creative with rival names.

Ironically, in LG I named him "Red" which is one of his default names in that version.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    I used to name them after people I hate, but now I name them after whatever official name suits them best.

Years
  • i call him random names.
    next time ill call him nobody, then it would say
    'Nobody wants to battle'
    XD

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I call them by their actual names usually, like Silver, green, etc...

I did once call Barry "Daimon"

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • In Silver, I named my rival Jesse, after a good friend of mine. :P

Usually in Red/Blue and FR/LG, I named my rival Springy... it's a random name, I know. :P I tend to name my rivals with any name that pops in my head.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I'd always name Blue something vulgar. He seems like a jerk in my opinion.

Silver, his name doesn't match his appearance. I usually just call him ?????.

Years
  • When I was little I named my Crystal rival Misty. Excuse me for thinking he was a girl, with that long hair and whatnot. However, this Misty was very mean, and I was very surprised when someone referred to her as a "he". ._.

Gero50

闇の下呂
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    I have played the games so many times and given him so many names I cannot remember all of tem. Though here is a few I have come up with in the past few times I played the games.

Neogero
    Car
    of course Gary

There was a few more, but I can not remember them at the moment. I guess that will have to do.

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    I normally name him 'Will' after my friend in real life, but in HG i've named him Silver :D

Years
  • Usually a name that I like or person I don't like, sometimes "Silver" if I'm playing Silver though I sometimes give him a proper name.

The first time when I played Silver though, when he said his name was "???" I thought that was his real name, so when Prof. Oak asked I said that he was called "???" and my rival was henceforth known as "???" for the duration of that game.

inomoo221

Lv. 70 Pidgey
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2011
    Hmm... On Platinum I named my character Ninja, so I named the rival Pirate.
    Also on Heart Gold, I named myself Odin, so obviously I named the rival Loki.
    Now on Crystal I didn't feel like thinking creatively, so I named myself Batman and my rival.... Waylon.

Years
  • Lol, I'm not the type of person to give my rival stupid names like... "Idiot" or something. XD Just typical names that match their appearance or their actual names.

My rival in LeafGreen was Gary
    My rival in HeartGold was Xavier
    My rival in Sapphire was Brendan (I don't think I could name him anything else >.>)
    My rival in Pearl/Platinum was Muffy (epic, right? >:B)

So yeah, I don't go overboard when it comes to rival names. I like to be... realistic. :P

Back