• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is love?

Bay

Years
  • I'm interested, but I don't want to make a commitment.
    Well, you don't have to make a commitment to love and it's understandable if things happened. At the same time though this comment bugs me because when you love someone(s) (relationship or not), you're giving all your attention to them and to me that's already commitment to a degree. If you don't make that commitment, then it's all wasted. But eh, if you're not going to make that commitment, that's okay with me since it's your choice and I can't stop you from it.

In short: It's sad that love comes and dies. :<

Years
  • Real love is bittersweet: The joy of being around them and the lack when they're gone.
    Hopeless to understand and simple to feel. There is nothing more beautiful.

Pink Cashmere

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2010
    There's so many different ways to love, so many different kinds of love. it's really hard to put a label on it likes it's some kind of jar, imo. But, to me, love in all kinds of ways is a selfless gesture. You genuinely want what's best for that person, you accept them and their flaws... the list could go on for a while since, as Captain Fabio stated, love affects people differently.

But I think the hardest thing to distinguish for people is the difference between being i"n love" or "in like." At what point can a person be in love? Is it a line that one gradually inches forward to?

Either way, I think love is a beautiful thing. Can't wait for it myself. c:

Tacogeddon

Pokemonidae
    Years
  • In my opinion it's just a simple chemical release in the brain caused by different things in males & females. In females it is produced to keep their partner around to help raise offspring, in males it is made to make them want to create offspring, even if they are not aware of it. I'm pretty sure I heard doing certain things has been proven to induce "love" such as showing a woman a feat of strength, coupled with sex is supposed to release these chemicals in her brain.

EDIT: Wow that made sound really cold hearted, but I'm not really I swear :3

Gonna have to go with this one. With sentience comes the abstract thoughts that we apply to love, when in the minds of an animal it's just survival. I totally mean to sound cold hearted though, I think my general aversion towards people has given me a cold outlook on such things. :\

Monsters get lonely too, though. :P

Years
  • What is love?
    Well, in my opinion, there are many loves. Heck, the Hebrews had like 7 words for it! Love can be a liking for something. An attraction to something. Or a feeling that can't be repressed. It can be a type of bonding between more than one person. It can be the happiest thing ever. It can be cause for many heartaches though too.
    However, i guess the most important part of love is exactly who it's being given to. Or the reason behind it.
    Love has a wide range of meaning. And, some are really complex and hard to understand. Others are really simple and easy to know why.

But I agree with Cashmere, I can't wait to experience it either.

Second Coming of Jebus

pies be with you
    Years
  • Damn, my post got deleted. Those few minutes of looking through my image folder gone to waste :(

I guess I have to contribute to the thread now

Now I'm totally going unmodest here, but I think thats pretty good for a 15 year old to come up with. Most guys I know invite their girlfriends to their house and just want to play halo and stuff lol

So yeah, enough rambling. whats your thoughts on love?

Stuff she likes and a secluded area with a view? How original. How ever did you think that up?

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    "True love is your soul's recognition of its counterpoint in another"

Wedding Crashers anybody?

Honestly I'm not sure. I think it means different things to everyone, and possibly meeting another that shares that same concept of love ultimately brings them together.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Stuff she likes and a secluded area with a view? How original. How ever did you think that up?
    Obvious as it seems, the fact nobody actually does that makes it remarkable enough. Or at least I've never heard of anyone doing those things.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Love is life....can't live life without love...
    Yes you can. Young children and infants are too selfish to love, and only have a need to feel safe. They can live. Same with those people who live without loving anybody. It's not a requirement for life.

CensorFairy said:
    Real love is bittersweet: The joy of being around them and the lack when they're gone.
    Hopeless to understand and simple to feel. There is nothing more beautiful.
    This.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • Love is something so deep that it takes much emotion and pain just to come to the realization of what it is, and even then I'm not too sure many people will even have the maturity and intellect to fully grasp the concept of what it all really is.

bit.trip void

Time cannot e r a s e
    Years
  • Yes you can. Young children and infants are too selfish to love, and only have a need to feel safe. They can live. Same with those people who live without loving anybody. It's not a requirement for life.

This.
    uh-huh, because experiencing a childhood without love wouldn't have adverse affects in the future or anything, right?

fyi, it's a form of emotional abuse.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • aside from the popular meme-of-a-song, I've been thinking what exactly is love?

This thought goes pretty deep and long when I truly examine it. What is it that makes us crave being around a certain person of the opposite sex? To show them we care?

At first I thought maybe it was because "It's a hormone like thing that makes sure our genes get passed on" but then I thought about it, and people still leave eachother when they know one or the other cant reproduce.

A story in my life is almost a year ago I had this girlfriend. She was sorta cool and shy the first few times I met her at this tennis training group, but once I got to know her more deeply, we became friends for about 3 months until I asked her out. Our relationship lasted about 9 months until she had to move.

Now I was a young kid when I first met her. About 14, juvenile in every way, stupid, and all I cared about was Pokemon, tennis and friends. Now you're thinking "Little kids. They dont know anything about love"

Well I dont know about your opinion, but I celebrated our 1 year of knowing eachother by taking a hike, just me and her, alone up to a grassy mountain range not too far from where I lived. I acted like it was just a simple hike for us to talk to eachother, but a few hours before hand I hid a basket of her favorite foods and flowers(whitmans chocolate, a large boquet of roses and some perfume she really wanted from american eagle outfitters). So I pretty much guided her to it and it was all mushy mush stuff, but there's another half to this story. I actually trudged a weed-whacker and lawn mower to the top of the hill earlier to mow out a small patch of grass and placed a blanket and some sitting pillows on it. It was a perfect day too. Sun was shining and there were fast paced puffy clouds in the sky.

Now I'm totally going unmodest here, but I think thats pretty good for a 15 year old to come up with. Most guys I know invite their girlfriends to their house and just want to play halo and stuff lol

So yeah, enough rambling. whats your thoughts on love?

Aw that's sweet, I'd love to have a bf like that.

I think there's all sorts of different loves. The love you have for your family is different from the love you have for a partner (well lets hope anyway) and the love you can have for your friends is different as well. Though I love my good friend, but i'm confused as to weather it's anything romantic or not... all I know is I care about him and love spending time with him...*cough*and*cough* occasionally*cough* have romantic*cough* fantasies*cough* about him*cough*

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Mmm...love is hard to explain, y'know?

That's exactly it, really. You can't explain it, but it's just there. Love.

You got types of love, loving your parents; your family, loving your good friends and...other types...

Naturally, one would crave it, want it, attraction; attention, whatever. It feels wonderful when it's there, and completed horrible when it leaves. Happiness and sorrow abound; it's a rough but necessary road to take. Hard to realise, and it can be too late once you have. Luckily, I haven't. =P

Once again, it's an abstract thing; hard to explain.

Years

• uh-huh, because experiencing a childhood without love wouldn't have adverse affects in the future or anything, right?

fyi, it's a form of emotional abuse.

Yeah, it definitely has side-effects, but in the end you are still alive. I agree that it wouldn't be an ideal life (although the person living that life probably wouldn't realise it) but it's still life.

Last edited:

bit.trip void

Time cannot e r a s e
    Years
  • Yeah, it definitely has side-effects, but in the end you are still alive. I agree that it wouldn't be an ideal life (although the person living that life probably wouldn't realise it) but it's still life.
    you're right, but maybe you shouldn't look at life so coldly. We don't just need physical things like food and water to sustain us, but emotional sustenance is important as well.

Though I suppose each to their own.

Back