• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your operating system?

What is your operating system?

• Total voters

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Trolling is so not cool, like yeah BOTH OF YOU [/lolface]

I just installed a dual boot yesterday with Ubuntu, my previous OS is Vista. Vista's been booting slower since then, but Ubuntu is like, BAM!

I'm having trouble configuring my wireless though, so I'm not using it as much right now. Damn you, Broadcom 8.02 b/g WLAN and your incompatibility! Another thing I don't like about Ubuntu is that terrifying, screech system beep, and whenever I try to disable it it says I don't have the permission to do so. Other than that, I quite like it's speed. =)

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    I'm always with windown till now. But I'm using XP, because I hate Vista and its lags.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Those aren't Operating Systems you listed, what's the point of posting that crap if Linux isn't a serious Operating System. Now before you call me a "Mac Elitist" I'm a windows user and have been all my life.

And I currently use both XP and Vista
    Not sure what you mean. He was demonstrating the widespread use of Linux on business and government computers. Those are all institutions that use Linux, and there are a lot more than just what he listed. Some "amateur" OS wouldn't have such widespread deployment by important people. Maybe you misread?

Though I think we should get off the topic of what's worse and get back to simply explaining what OS you like. I already explained why I like Linux and BSD net builds, as I can choose exactly what goes on them. I've never needed to so far, but there's always WINE if I need something from Windows; I find there's usually an open source alternative to any commercial software that ranges anywhere from almost as good to better.

Last edited:

Zet

Years
    Not sure what you mean. He was demonstrating the widespread use of Linux on business and government computers. Those are all institutions that use Linux, and there are a lot more than just what he listed. Some "amateur" OS wouldn't have such widespread deployment by important people. Maybe you misread?

Though I think we should get off the topic of what's worse and get back to simply explaining what OS you like. I already explained why I like Linux and BSD net builds, as I can choose exactly what goes on them. I've never needed to so far, but there's always WINE if I need something from Windows; I find there's usually an open source alternative to any commercial software that ranges anywhere from almost as good to better.
    over here in Australia, the Government use a working OS they isn't prone to be easily hacked, like Windows. Though I doubt all people/places listed aren't from legit sources, mainly because an art college would need a good working art program :)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    At home, my primary operating system (er,... only operating system) that I use is Windows 7. It runs probably the best out of all of the operating systems I've used on my computer with a few problems here and there. My computer originally came with Windows XP, however, and I've upgraded to Windows Vista in the past (as I preferred it to Windows XP, due to the advancement Microsoft made with the appearance of it all). I've also used Ubuntu on this machine, however, I couldn't listen to any of the purchased music I got due to it being protected and all, and iTunes wasn't made for Linux Operating Systems, so I reinstalled Vista.

At home, my primary operating system is Mac OS X Leopard. I prefer it, being someone who is attracted to just about anything Steve Jobs and Apple put out into the market, regardless of how much people think it's overpriced or something... I dunno. In my personal opinion, I find it easier to use than Windows since I don't have to fight with the Operating System to get it to do the things I want it to do. But that's just me, I suppose.

I'll tell you one thing, though, Apple has some serious competition with Windows 7... and that's coming from an Apple fanboy.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    ..and using nLite, you can get it down to like 15-20ish processes running at idle. It's very useless and lacking major functionality like that.
    Fixed that for you.
    I have 16GB of RAM now. There is *no need* to compulsively "trim down" the OS, to be so obsessed about how many "processes running at idle" there are. This is 2009, baby - get with the tiiiiems.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    dual-boot winXP sp3 and Ubuntu (last years version)

BTW most webservers out there run some form of linux.. so it is a serious OS, just not quite ready for personal desktop use yet (it is getting there though) especially in today's office/work environments.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 1, 2012
    I use Windows Vista, I never really liked Macs because there is a lot of software that doesn't work on them.

Zet

Years
    dual-boot winXP sp3 and Ubuntu (last years version)

BTW most webservers out there run some form of linux.. so it is a serious OS, just not quite ready for personal desktop use yet (it is getting there though) especially in today's office/work environments.
    isn't that because they're cheaper than windows to host?

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    At home, my primary operating system (er,... only operating system) that I use is Windows 7.

[...]

At home, my primary operating system is Mac OS X Leopard.

Did I read that right or am I just missing something here?

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    XP was certainly built very well, and using nLite, you can get it down to like 15-20ish processes running at idle. It's very fast like that.

From a clean install it's very fast. No need for nLite.

Regardless of your PC, you'll always get better performance from XP over Vista.

I believe Windows 7 is actually better than XP though from real world benchmarks I've seen.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
    Vista.

There was no other option for when i got my laptop other than paying an extra $200 for xp (no idea why), so I just stuck with it. It's not as bad as people say it is.

Back