• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your operating system?

What is your operating system?

• Total voters

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Lacking major functionality
    Lacking major functionality like updating shortcuts across a LAN. I wouldn't want my shortcuts to be out of date on my non-existent network, would I?

And regardless of your hardware, more stuff running will always be slower than less stuff running. My XP installation ran significantly faster on both my 2000 PC and my 2004 PC (faster than when I got it) when I removed that useless clutter, even though the 2004 PC had hardware more than sufficient to run all of that stuff and more.

From a clean install it's very fast. No need for nLite.
    Yeah, XP is pretty fast even with the default stuff, but it's even faster with 400 MB worth of stuff I don't use removed.

I believe Windows 7 is actually better than XP though from real world benchmarks I've seen.
    It's actually roughly equivalent to Vista in terms of performance (perhaps slightly faster). The front-end is sped up so it seems faster than it really is, however (source source source).

Windows 3.1 is way better bro, you're living in the past.
    I love Windows 3.1. Try Calmira, it gives it a 95-esque appearance. I'm currently trying to install it over FreeDOS; I want to see if I can have FreeDOS as the back-end.

Last edited:

Armaina

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
    I've got Windows XP Pro on my desktop and Xubuntu on my little old laptop. It's well enough. Both operating systems have their merits, though I tend to prefer Windows more.
    I'll be keeping XP for a while, until maybe I get a system with 4 gb of ram, after that I may not upgrade till the first service pack comes out for Windows 7. I find that usually by the first service pack, it fixes a slew of problems often plauging most new releases of the OS.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    On my old laptop I use XP
    On my new laptop I'm using Vista temporarily. I'm going to downgrade to XP soon.

But honestly, Vista isn't that bad. I hate what they did to the MSPaint color pallet but other than that, it's livable.
    I just turned off all the fancy graphics.

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
    Years
    I have Windows XP Home Edition, bleh.

Windows 7 looks interesting though I'm not sure if my PC can handle it. Same goes for Vista even though I've heard bad things about it *Hides from Vista fans*

Years
    Yeah, I don't see the point in wasting money on new hardware when you can get things running a lot better with a little work trimming down. It's worth noting that older hardware can't be upgraded past a certain point and not everyone has the money to buy a new computer every year. Then they've got to get their hands on a 64-bit OS if they haven't already got one, which will set them back even more.

I'm currently Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.04, both of which I'm happy with. MS should thank their Office 2007 department for keeping me caring about Windows enough to run Win7. I know I can run it through WINE, but meh. :D

vVintage

huzzah
    Years
    I use Mac OS X. <3
    :D

I like it way better than Windows. It's more organized and easy to use. :)

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    If we can include virtual installations of OSes (e.g., VirtualBox), then I can bump up my count a lot more. I've got a Windows 3.1 install on top of FreeDOS now (took me a few days to figure out how to do it right), ReactOS, some Linux distros I'm experimenting with, Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (Microsoft's version of an nLited XP, more or less), Windows 95, and Windows ME (lol). I also had the Windows 7 RC on there at one time in addition to it being on my other computers, but once I took it off them, I took it off VirtualBox as well.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    The desktop I'm currently on uses Windows XP, which I am entirely content with. The laptop I bought earlier today automatically comes with Windows Vista, but I would have preferred XP.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Roight, since people are now adding computers they typically don't use:
    My Lappy - Windows Vista and Ubuntu
    My Sister's and Dad's Lappy - Windows Vista
    My Parent's Desktop - Windows XP
    My Old Desktop - Windows 98, started with Windows 3.01. I'm thinking about loading Xubuntu on it just for the lulz.
    My Other Old Desktop - Windows ME (even worse)
    The Compy in the Depths of the Basement - Windows 98, but started without Windows the damn thing's so old lol

Back