• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What kind of Ash do you want?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Nah, I don't hate Ash. I actually feel sorry for the guy since he always lose the tournaments.

The BW one especially was bad, losing a 6 on 5 battle.

I just want him to improve, maybe win, y'know? If he represents us, it's kinda sad he always loses. He should at least win one time.

I do admit, though, I'm not fond of Ash's "use Pikachu until I can't" strategy, but that's neither here nor there.

He does win the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier stuff. Unfortunately, that means little in the end anyways since he still continues his journey.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    He does win the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier stuff. Unfortunately, that means little in the end anyways since he still continues his journey.

I meant the tournaments that happen to be the main tournaments of the regions the games are based on, but that's true. I'd somehow forgotten the Orange Islands existed entirely, too. No idea how that happened.

Years
  • Nah, I don't hate Ash. I actually feel sorry for the guy since he always lose the tournaments.

The BW one especially was bad, losing a 6 on 5 battle.

I just want him to improve, maybe win, y'know? If he represents us, it's kinda sad he always loses. He should at least win one time.

I do admit, though, I'm not fond of Ash's "use Pikachu until I can't" strategy, but that's neither here nor there.

I do wonder how that battle would of gone if Charzard came back early.

But tbh his loss in the Unova league made sense. Compared to Hoenn and DP he really had no real battle plans and hardly trained. I like AG and DP in that way due to training and planning things in battles. And even if he did still get 8th in Hoenn he showed progress in Sinnoh. As long as the arc shows him making progress even if he losses I don't really mind since in anime it seems the only time the protag wins anything is when the world is at stake. I just hope the Kalos league has no last minute guy like Tobias to stop him from doing well. Kalos Ash has battle skills right from episode 1 and he seems to be catching less pokemon than Unova and training them hard. I think he gets a Hawlucha next week?

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014

But tbh his loss in the Unova league made sense. Compared to Hoenn and DP he really had no real battle plans and hardly trained. I like AG and DP in that way due to training and planning things in battles. And even if he did still get 8th in Hoenn he showed progress in Sinnoh. As long as the arc shows him making progress even if he losses I don't really mind since in anime it seems the only time the protag wins anything is when the world is at stake. I just hope the Kalos league has no last minute guy like Tobias to stop him from doing well. Kalos Ash has battle skills right from episode 1 and he seems to be catching less pokemon than Unova and training them hard. I think he gets a Hawlucha next week?

I suppose that's true. It's kind of funny, when you think about it. He wins when the world's in danger, but loses a regional tournament. Must be those limit breaks, hah. ^_^

Oh, Tobias. Even I remember Tobias. That one was not only unfair, but completely out of nowhere and stupid. A trainer that had little to no foreshadowing at all showing up with two legendaries just for Ash to lose? Overkill, much?

Years
  • I suppose that's true. It's kind of funny, when you think about it. He wins when the world's in danger, but loses a regional tournament. Must be those limit breaks, hah. ^_^

Oh, Tobias. Even I remember Tobias. That one was not only unfair, but completely out of nowhere and stupid. A trainer that had little to no foreshadowing at all showing up with two legendaries just for Ash to lose? Overkill, much?

If he had a backstory or came back I would not mind as much but it was a middle finger to Ash who without him could of won.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    If he had a backstory or came back I would not mind as much but it was a middle finger to Ash who without him could of won.

I know. I can't help but feel like Ash was supposed to win the league, though, and they changed their minds at the last minute. It certainly feels that way, at least Ash met the other guys that beat him in tournaments. This guy just showed up for no reason at all but to be an artificially impossible obstacle.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I know. I can't help but feel like Ash was supposed to win the league, though, and they changed their minds at the last minute. It certainly feels that way, at least Ash met the other guys that beat him in tournaments. This guy just showed up for no reason at all but to be an artificially impossible obstacle.

Yeah, and Unova's outcome was even worse. He lost to a complete idiot, having only five Pokémon in what was supposed to be a six vs. six match, not even having the correct amount of badges, and that's not even the tip of the iceberg. Ash couldn't even get stay at Top 4, instead decreasing in rank as a result of him. At least Tobias was proved to have some skill and was a worthy opponent by comparison despite only using legendaries as far as we know.

And considering the fact that we literally didn't see any indication that Ash would be going to Unova at all until literally on the very last episodes of the league, not to mention the strong foreshadowing of Ash actually winning the league, if not actually becoming a Pokémon Master, yes, I'd have to agree with you there. I wasn't particularly impressed with the Gym Leaders losing against rookie Pokémon (it reminds me too much of JJM's loss in Episode 3 against not just any caterpie, but one that was both extremely inexperienced (Ekans and Koffing had at least a year's worth of experience, and Meowth presumably was even more experienced), and so weak that Ash captured it without even battling it first, not to mention nearly being killed by a Pidgeotto due largely to Ash's stupidity at the time (keep in mind, Team Rocket's Pokémon were definitely very fresh by the time they fought Caterpie).), though I could at least tolerate that more than Ash literally losing against a rookie and a total idiot.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Ash's ability with ''Aura'' should be expanded .
    Even though the Current writer trying to saver Ash's connection with ''Aura'' So they can avoid giving Ash a Lucario.
    Honestly , Ash should display his ability to sense ''Fairy Aura'' & ''Dark Aura'' which get him involve with Team Flare'' .

Does those writer even know how cliche it is for Ash to be in right time & right place whenever the villain make a move ?
    Its like the Villainous Team just wait until Ash to get there So they can execute their plan & Ash can get involve !

Dr. Wiggles

Free Thinker
    Years
  • The current Ash is perfect for the anime. I hate anime characters who act goofy a majority of the time, and then suddenly become competent when it starts to teach the audience a lesson.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    How about no ash?

Honestly, I want a mix of OS Ash enthusiasm with the battling skills of DP Ash. The closest we've gotten is in AG.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    A Charismatic Ash who can turn Jerk Boys , Bratty Girl & Bad guy into a Good loving people !

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2016
    One that ages and is not age 10 for the rest of his life.
    One day he is going to die at the age of 10 and everyone else here will be in their 60's

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    What I like most about XY is Clemont and Bonnie and they're adorable.

But in terms of the series in general its fairly average. Its really just following the same formula from AG just without Contest episodes. Ash has only one starter again, no big main rival, Serena has a slow start, we have an underage sibling on the cast, etc.

That is One of my main Complain ! Why does it has to follow AG Series So much.
    I want

--A Funny yet Competent Ash ,

-- A Male & A Female main rival who does not need to beat Ash to prove their skill.

--A lot funny character with characteristic that actually make people laugh.

--Ash to actually investigate the Evil team rather then always being at the right place at the right time.

--May be , A Talking Aegislesh who want to take Ash to the path of King despite Ash's refusal. He refer himself as Ash's butler however cause more problem then help and often argue with Ash.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Honestly, I want a mix of OS Ash enthusiasm with the battling skills of DP Ash. The closest we've gotten is in AG.

What is your definition of OS Ash Enthusiasm? Because as I'm rewatching OS I'm seeing that it's still pretty much the same as it is now (wanting to go right to the gym, ready to meet new Pokemon, etc etc) just with less of an ego which makes sense because he was always told he was behind or something else would happen whenever he got that big head. So the fact that he's more modest now makes sense and a good development than still having some big head (and when he does have a big head it still back lashes on him. Nimbasa gym battle which is the battle everyone hates is kinda an example? He was so sure that his strategy would work that it fell completely flat on his face.)

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    How about a Ash who is just as OP as Paul Or Atem (Yu-g0-oh) ??
    For example , Paul doesn't lose to anyone except The champion , A trainer with legendary Pokemon Or the Protagonist.
    Same goes with Atem.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020

That's one of the reasons why I didn't like BW from what I've read about it. For some reason, the writers just decided to reduce him to such an idiot that even Kanto Ash seemed smart. At least Tobias actually knew what he was doing, the guy he lost to in Unova was even more of an idiot than even BW Ash, which is even worse.

Besides, I suspect the only reason Tobias entered the picture is because the writers wasted too much time and ended up running out of time before they could actually have Ash advance further due to the Generation V games being out soon. I definitely remember that they didn't even show any Generation V Pokémon until the Zoroark movie, not to mention they didn't give any hint that Ash was going to go to the next region at all, and in fact had set things up to indicate Ash might actually win the Sinnoh region.

And BTW, Ash still getting 8th in Hoenn isn't even an "if", he actually did still get 8th. That's the reason why I largely viewed AG as being skippable. I mean, what's the point of even watching a league when he ended up retaining the exact same rank as before? It also doesn't help that they basically replaced May with Dawn and have her do the same thing May does. I actually found AG to be the second-worst series largely for that reason (only Best Wishes is even worse, thanks to what happened in that series).

And honestly, the only thing I ask of Ash right now is that he better get back to at least Top 4, if not get to Top 2 or even actually win the Kalos league. And another thing, the writers should not waste any time and dilly-dally especially if they intend for Ash to win the Kalos league.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    How about a Ash who is just as OP as Paul Or Atem (Yu-g0-oh) ??
    For example , Paul doesn't lose to anyone except The champion , A trainer with legendary Pokemon Or the Protagonist.
    Same goes with Atem.
    The Pocket Monsters anime runs on themes of improving, getting stronger, and there always being someone better. None of this is possible to convey when your protagonist can only lose to the very top echelon of trainers. Yu-Gi-Oh tells a different story. Atem was presented as special from the beginning, Satoshi was not. He's a regular, albeit talented, trainer who experiences struggles, who makes mistakes and who has to learn lessons. He has a relatable "everyman" element to him that Atem didn't, and was never meant to have.

While Satoshi should be good at battles (and, for the most part, he's presented as being so), I don't want to see a Pocket Monsters anime where he can't lose to anyone who isn't a champion or doesn't have legendaries. That's boring. If anything, many of Satoshi's best character moments have come in the fallout of big losses. The fallout of his first Pokémon League, his loss to Touki, the big 6-2 loss to Shinji, etc. Because those are the moments when the character actually had to reassess the way he looked at a problem, change his way of thinking about it, and eventually came out stronger for it. This is what a protagonist like him is supposed to do.

Shinji, and I can't believe this has to be said again, wasn't the protagonist. He wasn't overpowered either, but that's a different discussion. Shinji had a different function in DP: Satoshi's primary antagonist. He only appeared sporadically and was built as being an especially tough trainer because otherwise it wouldn't mean anything when Satoshi eventually overcame him. And one of the reasons why the final battle between Satoshi and Shinji worked so well was because of the previous 187 episodes of Satoshi improving his battle style (ex. the Counter Shield), getting help from other experienced trainers (ex. the Air Battle Master, the COTD who helped teach Bouysel the Ice Punch move), and because of some of the bigger losses he'd taken over the course of his Sinnoh journey (note that Shinji brings up their earlier full battle after Satoshi calls in Bouysel).

The term "overpowered" isn't meant to be a compliment. If someone is referring to a character as "OP", it's usually as a part of a complaint that the plot has hurt the crucial element of drama by making a character too strong. Why would you want that to happen with Satoshi?

Back