• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokemon names have you always pronounced wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Togetic.

And Tropius if it's pronounced like "tropic" (TRAH-pee-us)... Cause I use the long o sound to say TROH-pee-us.

Sloofish

★Cannibal Psycho Soft For Pkmn
    Years
    Uhh.. I used to pronounce Giratina wrong. It's apparently not "Gear-A-tina" it's "Grrr-ah-ten-ah"

I also used to mispronounce "Nuzleaf" as "Nuzz" (As in nuzzling) "Leaf". It's apparently "News" (As in News Paper) Leaf.

I did, for a while at least, pronounce Suicune "Sew-E-Kun" It's apparently Swee-kun.

I pronounced Arceus wrong at first.. It was at first, "Arch-Ay-Us" now it's "R-C-Us."

Also, every English speaking person under the age of thirteen says "Rah-duh-tatt" Instead of Rah-tah-tah. Was the same for me and every kid I've ever met..

I used to think it was Ray-Qwah-Zah which in my opinion sounds better than Ray-Qway-Zah. Sadly, it's Ray-Qway-Zah..

Also mispronounced Die-Al-Gah as D-Al-Gah.

Uhh.. I'm not sure I pronounce any of the others differently from in the Anime. But I did know some kid across the street who used to call "Hoot-hoot" a "Hew-Thoot"

My siblings also have a problem with getting around the silent "U" in Japanese language so "Raikou" instead of being "R'eye-Co" they often say "R'eye-cooh"
    o_____O..

Last edited:

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
    How I used to pronounce some Pokemon names:

Omanyte/Omastar: OHM-ah-night/star
    Croconaw: KRA-kuh-naw
    Xatu: EX-ah-too
    Marill: ma-RILL
    Azumarill: I used to say the "marill" part just like the Pokemon Marill. Instead it's prounced like how I first thought Marill was pronounced.
    Misdreavus: mis-DREE-vus
    Wobbuffet: wah-BUFF-et
    Houndour: houn-DOOR
    Elekid: ELL-uh-kid
    Raikou: rye-KOO
    Entei: EN-tie (like "hentai" without the H)
    Suicune: SOO-ih-koon (just like suicide!)
    Pupitar: POOP-ih-tar
    Celebi: sel-LEB-ee
    Sceptile: SKEP-tie-ull
    Poochyena: pooch-eye-EE-na (as if it had "hyena" at the end)
    Gardevoir: GAR-de-vor (I was obviously unfamiliar with French)
    Plusle: PLUS-lee
    Manectric: ma-NECK-trick
    Volbeat: VOLE-beat
    Trapinch: TRAP-inch
    Milotic: like "melodic"
    Banette: ban-NET
    Bagon: BAG-on
    Groudon: GROW-don
    Rayquaza: ray-KWA-za
    Bonsly: BON-sly (as in the word "sly")
    Uxie: OOK-see

Names I stubbornly pronounce wrong:

Illumise: ILL-oo-mise ("Ill-oo-MEE-zay"?! What the heck?)
    Vibrava: vai-BRA-va
    Bidoof: bih-DOOF
    Arceus: are-SAY-us

More pronunciation notes:

Pidgeot: Apparently the Pokerap used to say something like "PID-jit", so that's how I pronounced it until I saw Pidgeot in the anime...
    Machoke: I still hear many people put the accent on the CHOKE instead of the MA...
    Finneon: My friend pronounces it "FIN-yun"...
    Dialga: A lot of people pronounce it "dee-AL-ga", whereas I pronounce it "die-ALL-ga".
    Giratina: My friend pronounces it "jer-AT-in-uh"
    Manaphy: I hear quite a few people saying "MAN-uh-fee", as in the word "man". I pronounce it just like the Japanese name.

Names I'm still unsure how to pronounce:

Bibarel: I currently pronounce it bih-BEAR-uhl (the last part is like "barrel"), but still that seems wrong...
    Vespiquen: I always pronounce it "VES-pih-queen", but why, then, isn't the name spelt "Vespiqueen"?
    Mismagius: "Mis-MAGE-ee-us" makes the most sense to me, but I'm not sure about it... (It would be a shame to mispronounce my favourite Pokemon!)

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Is it Dee-alga or Die-alga? And is it Pal-kee-a or Pal-kai-a? If it's the latter, I've been saying them wrong. >_<

It's Dee-al-ga and Pal-kee-a because that's how they pronounce them in Japanese (pretty much). I used to think it was die-al-ga

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    After seeing the show "Aiding the Enemy" I realized I pronounced grotle wrong...I used to say "grow-tle" but it is actually grAw-tle...lol

long ago in 3rd gen, I also used to say "ruh-quawza", but it is actually, Ray-quAze-a...

Sloofish

★Cannibal Psycho Soft For Pkmn
    Years
    Croconaw: KRA-kuh-naw
    Celebi: sel-LEB-ee
    Sceptile: SKEP-tie-ull
    Volbeat: VOLE-beat
    Trapinch: TRAP-inch
    Banette: ban-NET
    Bonsly: BON-sly (as in the word "sly")
    ... I thought all of those are right. Unless I'm reading them wrong.
    Here's how I pronounce the pronunciations you gave--and are they
    still wrong or..?
    Croc(crocodile)-uh-gnaw(as in gnawing on wires)
    Cell(as in jail cell)-leh-bee(as in a bee..?)
    Skept(--ical?)-aisle(Walking down the aisle)
    Vol(--tage?)-beat
    Tra(--sh/p?)-pinch
    Ban
    (Banning someone)-Ette(girl?)
    Bawn
    (Dawn with a B)-Sly(Sly)
    Bidoof: bih-DOOF
    Pretty sure that's "Be-Doof" as in "Be(ing) Doof(y)"
    Pidgeot: Apparently the Pokerap used to say something like "PID-jit", so that's how I pronounced it until I saw Pidgeot in the anime...
    Limited singing time I supposed--what can you expect from rap? They can make any word in the English language rhyme with any word from the English language. <<
    Machoke: I still hear many people put the accent on the CHOKE instead of the MA...
    I don't see that as anything mispronounced or anything. I know it's "Ma" as the stronger syllable but either one would still be correct. It's not like it's anything as bad as "Muh-Choh-Kay" or something.
    Giratina: My friend pronounces it "jer-AT-in-uh"

That pronunciation hurts my brain. :D

Grr(As in an animal growling?)-ah(realization)-ten(number?)-ah(again)

Gurrahtenah is the correct way to say it I'm pretty sure. Not sure why but most people say "Gear-A/Uh-Tina~" like it's a girl. Sounds waaay off...

I've heard it pronounced "Bee-Barrel" "Beh-Barrel" and recently, "Bibber-ull"
    Vespiquen

I think it's "Vesp-Equin" like Harlequin
    Mismagius

And I've always heard this one, "Miss-Maggie-Us"

Correct Pronunciation::

Any how, if you want to know correct pronunciation go to "Youtube" and type in any Pokemon's name plus "Battle revolution"

According to most people, every single Pokemon name is pronounced correctly by the announcer EXCEPT for "Ursaring" (He says it differently than in the movies and the Anime--it's said one way too many times for the game announcer to be right.)

Hope this helped..~

Last edited:

Dainty

The Puppet Master
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2012
    I think I pronounce them all correctly. I'm pretty good at guessing how names are pronounced. I'll have to go through them all and see.

skorupoke

Skorupi! Use Poison Fang!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2022
    I always called Raikou Reye-cow (How stupid of myself!!!), and I called Bonsly Bons-lie, and also Uh-xie instead of You-xie.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I always called Raikou Reye-cow (How stupid of myself!!!), and I called Bonsly Bons-lie, and also Uh-xie instead of You-xie.

Since this thread hadn't been posted in since April, this is considered reviving it. In the future, just remake a topic if it hasn't been posted in for over a month :] Thanks

-Closed-

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back