• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What religion do you believe in?

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Was born into a christian family tho I have always been an athiest or so i like to believe, if there really was a God or there were gods they must be real sickos also God caring for everyone but the third world.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    Born and raised as a Roman Catholic. However, we do follow some Straits Chinese customs such as ancestral worship, but with prayers and stuff.

My parents are devout, and I am like... Ehhh... Okay. My faith isn't as strong, but I have seen "miracles" happen right before my very eyes. And I do believe in the afterlife (I've seen them before). Still, I don't get some of my friends who practically go to church everyday. It doesn't really make sense to me.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
    What religion do you believe in?

This actually kind of disgusts me. Religion has no place in science whatsoever.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
    Or does it?

Why do you think it doesn't? I'm curious.

Science is based on fact, religion is based on faith with no hard evidence.

Creationism has no place in our schools because of this. This is just one example of religion having no place in science. The two need to be kept separate and distinguished - one has had thousands of intelligent people working collectively for centuries testing, thinking, postulating, proving, disproving things about our universe and ourselves. The other is a bunch of man-made noise that was created to explain how everything came to be before the advent of technology.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Or does it?

Is that why they call you curiousnathan?
    Spoiler:

Guys I'm hilarious.

Anyways, I was born and raised a Catholic, but I've been as of late questioning my faith. It's been really difficult for me to understand or even fathom the idea of a God that would let thousands upon thousands of good, innocent people die in natural disasters, wars, epidemics, disease, accidents, etc. etc. People have their arguments about that, yes, but if there was such a God out there that would allow that stuff to happen, it's really difficult to stomach. There are some parts that of the church that I definitely still hold dear to me - respect thy neighbor as you'd respect thyself, for one - but a "life after death" entity? I'm 50/50 on that. I just choose rather not to mull over that possibility, as I'd rather live my life to the fullest and just have fun with everything here and now then constantly worry about the possibility of burning in Hell.

If there is such a place I'll probably end up there but meh, it is what it is #yolo .

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    Or does it?

I'm curious.

This guyyyyyyyy THIS GUYYYYYYYYY lol

Is that why they call you curiousnathan?
    Spoiler:

Guys I'm hilarious.

Anyways, I was born and raised a Catholic, but I've been as of late questioning my faith. It's been really difficult for me to understand or even fathom the idea of a God that would let thousands upon thousands of good, innocent people die in natural disasters, wars, epidemics, disease, accidents, etc. etc. People have their arguments about that, yes, but if there was such a God out there that would allow that stuff to happen, it's really difficult to stomach. There are some parts that of the church that I definitely still hold dear to me - respect thy neighbor as you'd respect thyself, for one - but a "life after death" entity? I'm 50/50 on that. I just choose rather not to mull over that possibility, as I'd rather live my life to the fullest and just have fun with everything here and now then constantly worry about the possibility of burning in Hell.

If there is such a place I'll probably end up there but meh, it is what it is #yolo .

I abandoned Christianity for the same reason. Or, not exactly the same reason, but a similar one. Not because of what was happening in the world, but because of what supposedly happened after the world according to christianity. The basest base of that religion, is worshipping god/jesus whom loves you no matter what, unconditionally, and sacrificed his only son to forgive us our sins. Right? Buuuuut, at the same time, there's hell. An eternal, endless, suffering existence unrivaled in intensity of torment and terror, that he condemns you to, regardless of your intentions good or evil, or innocence in life, if you don't accept the Christian faith alone... and recognize that Jesus was your savior. Wait what? So there's a being, that 'loves' me, unconditionally... so much, but will damn me to the ultimate suffering for all eternity once I die, even if I do good by other people my whole life, just because I didn't invest all my belief in Jesus? That doesn't make sense to me. And not the kind of sense that can be overridden by just 'have faith' - the kind of sense that makes me think there's something seriously wrong with following that ideology.

If someone or something LOVES you, there should be no circumstance when it does something so heinous to you, as to grant you eternal suffering. That's not love. That's like holding a gun up to your head.

Years
    I was born Christian and was raised in the Baptist church, was baptized when I was little, but I "Deconverted" when I was 18 and now I'm an Agnostic Atheist. I just try to let my reason guide me and that's good enough for me.
    I think that God's existence can't be proven nor disproven, but I just lean towards the idea that there probably is no god.

Polar Spectrum

Years
    ^ Solid.

I'm not sure if I've said it here or not before, but my closest ideology to a theological doctrine, is my firm belief that the universe has a sense of humor. This can't be proven either, but there are many things that could be considered evidence to this claim.

Like every time you see a tree with a knott, and it looks like a butt.

Yukari

I abandoned Christianity for the same reason. Or, not exactly the same reason, but a similar one. Not because of what was happening in the world, but because of what supposedly happened after the world according to christianity. The basest base of that religion, is worshipping god/jesus whom loves you no matter what, unconditionally, and sacrificed his only son to forgive us our sins. Right? Buuuuut, at the same time, there's hell. An eternal, endless, suffering existence unrivaled in intensity of torment and terror, that he condemns you to, regardless of your intentions good or evil, or innocence in life, if you don't accept the Christian faith alone... and recognize that Jesus was your savior. Wait what? So there's a being, that 'loves' me, unconditionally... so much, but will damn me to the ultimate suffering for all eternity once I die, even if I do good by other people my whole life, just because I didn't invest all my belief in Jesus? That doesn't make sense to me. And not the kind of sense that can be overridden by just 'have faith' - the kind of sense that makes me think there's something seriously wrong with following that ideology.

Wow, reading these comments has stirred up so many mixed emotions. Mainly because I have explanation for both of the problems that have caused you to question your faith, but if I made some big long post about it then It would probably fall on deaf ears and I doubt the majority would want to hear it.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell... If you do want my explanation then just private message me. I'm not going to force my beliefs on anyone if they don't want to hear it.

Polar Spectrum

Years
    Wow, reading these comments has stirred up so many mixed emotions. Mainly because I have explanation for both of the problems that have caused you to question your faith, but if I made some big long post about it then It would probably fall on deaf ears and I doubt the majority would want to hear it.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell... If you do want my explanation then just private message me. I'm not going to force my beliefs on anyone if they don't want to hear it.

Oi - that's very admirable. I'll PM you and read what you have to say.

See this, this is the kind of thing the world needs more of.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
    It makes me happy to be the first atheist to post in this thread, because I get to feel like I was atheist before it was cool.

Makes me happy to be the first New Age believer in the chat. XD

I guess I was born into it, my mother and sister are both Agnostic so I was kinda brought up with that in mind, but no one in my family was really religious. Mum kinda emphasised that I follow what I believe and what I feel is right.

I agree with New Age because it's aim is to create a 'spirituality without borders or confining dogmas'. I've been told by people it's a 'cop-out' or even 'lazy religion' but I prefer to see it as inclusive rather than exclusive. There's kinda no right and wrong in New Age; just what you believe.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    Christian. Protestant, most likely. I went to a Baptist and Free Methodist church as a child, and my aunts are Catholic and baptized.

I don't go to church anymore. I believe in a higher entity and good morals, but I'm objective and situational and don't use the Bible for profit.

I just figure if you always try your best and do what you believe is right, it'll be OK in the end :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I'm Christian, Church of Christ to be specific. I used to not care about religion, but I have a lot of friends that are Christian, and I feel more faithful lately because of their influence.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    I'm a Christian! I'm pretty religious. I go to church as often as I can and I teach Sunday school. I pray often. Jesus is my Lord and Savior and I'm proud of it. The Bible tells me to take pride in my faith, and not be embarrassed by it. I'm here on this earth to spread the Word of God to everyone (not force it). I believe God created this earth. I believe Jesus rose from the dead.

I also have to agree with Polar Spectrum here even though I don't know where he/she stands. God does have a sense of humor and He works in mysterious ways sometimes. He always answers prayers, it's just not always the answer you want.

Specifically, I am a member of a Presbyterian Church. I was born into Christianity, but I made my own decision to because a disciple of Christ (Child of Christ, reborn). I have a very strong faith in God because he has helped me through many tough times, and all the proof is there. I love him, and he loves me. That's all I need. If you guys have any questions regarding my beliefs, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Or does it?

I might be a bit late but there's a very succinct answer for this.

It's all because religion, very simply, is supernatural. It's not that it does not exist, it's that it exists above nature. Science measures what lies in the bounds of nature.

However, when religion claims to step into the world of the natural, it is testable, but only in the specific incidents in which these steps took place. For example, it is possible to prove that a literal flood is not possible with science, but it is impossible to prove that god exists or not with science, because supernatural things are inherently unscientific. If you read the bible as an allegory though, this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Another way to look at this is to take a look at Last Thursdayism. This idea is the idea that the universe emerged last Thursday with only an apparent history of a past. It could be possible that the universe could have spawned in this manner instantaneously with the history that's here. But there is no way to measure or determine for, if a matter of fact, we actually live in a Thursdayic universe. The same could be said with a universe instantly spawned by a God.

Via a technique called Ockham's Razor, these ideas should be trimmed from scientific explanations of the universe for the following reasons:
    • They do not have any predictive power, and thus cannot claim anything that can be measured and tested through science.
    • They do not serve an essential role in explaining anything that cannot be explained with science, thus being unnecessary fluff.
    • While an interseting possibility, they do little to actually explain much except "what could happen".

This is why they are trimmed out of science. It's not because they don't necessarily exist, it's that they do not fit with what science is.

Anyways, I don't really think much about religion. I'm not zealous about anything, really. I guess I would be agnostic? I just don't think about it very much from a personal perspective.

Back