• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Whatever happened to... Cartoon Network?

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Its called following trnds. The title of the channel no longer makes sense and it was original because it only aired cartoons. Now its lame other than when Flapjack or Pokemon comes on.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • ... CN is just slapping us in the faces now. I know that some people like the reality shows, but enough to get an entire block dedicated to them(Even though there was already one before)? And to get someone to pretty much say.

'Oh, cartoons are for little kids, Reality shows are where it's at.'

That just makes me mad, even though right now reality shows are popular. And the new show 'Stoked', has anyone watched it? I never had a chance, but to me it looks like 6teen, which is mediocre at best.

I know the target audience for a majority of cartoons is... 7-10 or something like that, but still... if you call a channel 'Cartoon Network', then it should be about cartoons, not reality shows! They might as well call it... Network. (I don't have a creative name right now.)

Anyway, I just don't get it... how are reality shows so popular? Why does everyone like to watch them? I mean, to me it's boring, and to someone else it isn't, but I don't get why they are so popular! I am pretty sure there are reality shows that are copies of others, and are still popular. I just don't get it.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    So I love how they're starting to air all these reality shows on Cartoon Network.

Kind of contradicts the entire channel, in my opinion.. but they'll do anything for ratings these days.

Anyhoo, I barely watch CN anymore these days. When I was younger I watched certain cartoons, and anime on it.. now days, I occasionally watch some of Adult Swim. That's about it.

Years
  • After the fall of Toonami, CN started down the drain. They have some great stuff, but some of the new crap is...yuck.

However, Adult Swim wins. And seeing that FLCL is coming back, and that they are bring Ranma 1/2 to it(HELL YES!), Adult Swim is awesome.

Years
  • I'll tell you what happend... it starts, ends, and all points back to one man:

Stuart Snyder

This... is the idiot that ruined the network. Although he joined well after the famous "format change" of 2004, it is under his watch that most of the garbage that is currently on the network was brought in, mainly the Canadian acquisition like TDI/TDA and 6Teen (I don't give a crap about ratings; these shows suck, and you all know it), and this CN real BS that they've come up with just over the past few months. This is the guy that has taken a once 24-hour cartoon station, and introduced it to the dark realms of "reality TV". Although it was already heading down hill after 2004, the real evil came in 2007 when he took over.

All I'm waiting for is the Ed, Edd n Eddy movie to air (whenever that is)... after that, I'm done with CN for good (I don't refer to it as Cartoon Network now, since it's not about cartoons anymore). I can't stand the direction this once fine channel is going towards. I mean, reality TV? As if there isn't enough of this crap already on basic cable (hint: Survivor, Big Brother, etc.), now a network that is supposed to be dedicated to cartoons is airing it as well? WTF is wrong with these people?

The only saving grace is Boomerang (CN's sister channel), which still airs (most) of the Hanna-Barbera and original Cartoon Cartoons in reruns. For those that still wish to watch actual good programming, I suggest ordering this if you don't already have it.

Last edited:

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • .... eeww... Cartoon Network? AIRING REALITY SHOWS?

WTF that makes no sence.

--

.... What's with Childrens TV, in general, these days?

Hell, what's with THE WORLD nowadays?
    Everything sucks.
    --

Kids should go watch PBS Kids. That seems to be the only station that doesn't air total crap nowadays. (Dragon Tales FTW)

Bulletproof

This time baby I'll be...
    Years
  • yay!! somewhere I can post my absolute haterid for the new and stupid cartoons.
    back when I was quite young, like 10 years ago or something, cartoons on CN were amazing, such as: ed edd 'n' eddy; the PPG (lol); courage the cowardly dog and so on. this pretty much made the memories of my childhood, I loved these to bits.
    now, and ever since about 3 years ago, CN has been drowned with completely garbage cartoons such as: storm hawks; chowder, and the one I HATE HATE HATE, ben 10 -_-!
    the cartoons listed above have murdered the channel imo, especially ben 10. the aisles in toy shops right now are absolutely filled with merchandise of ben 10 and it makes me sick. the cartoon is just... so boring, it aint true. the only time they show decent cartoons is at 11:00 when cartoon cartoons start. then I can watch a couple of them, but not them all. it's not the same.
    I've been making so many petitions for them to bring it back, but nothing as of yet =/. anyone who agrees say yo.

Oh gawd, just hearing the title brings me back to that show, Whatever Happened to Robot Jones?
    that was what it was called! I forgot what that show was called! that too was one of my faves and I can't find it anywhere =(! plus other cartoons that were out at that time like mike lu and og and flying rhino junior high.
    I miss them. tons.

Last edited:

Casey333

~Johto Trainer~
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Jan 10, 2018
    Their trying to target teens with stuff we already watch today or stuff we can relate to. Like 6Teen being for 16 year olds obviously and Total Drama Island/Action being for viewers that are interested in reality TV.
    But Flapjack is for the random. ^^

I usually just watch TDA, 6Teen, Flapjack, and Adult Swim though.

Aqua_vaporeon

ur mind just got blown sucka!
    Years
  • Its true, whatever happened to old ones? Powerpuff girls, Dexter, Courage the cowerdly dog? I used to wake up on a saturday, go downstairs extremely early JUST so i could watch all my faveourites. And then they decided to stuff them all into one channel named boomerang. Tom and jerry was one, the ORIGINAL tom and jerry was classic it was actually FUNNY. Then they cancelled that one and shoved it on boomerang, its like a dumping ground for genuine cartoons. They killed it with all this new crap: Ben 10, fosters, batman the brave and the bold or whatever its called. They made it so childish! Courage was probebly my favourites. It was the same with scooby doo just like T.A.J they replaced it with new crap, "whats new scooby doo?" all of that rubbish that they air the same episodes EVERYDAY. whatever happened to genuine cartoon network? Whatever happened to genuine television? If i could go back to 1997 back in the day i freaking well would. I could actually LAUGH then. Again it was the place where a lot of us first found anime. wheres the anime now? yeah they air about one anime, pokemon diamond and pearl which nobody probebly watches seen as theres a NEW season out now and in british tv just a few channel flicks up ahead battle dimetion airs! Seriously where has it all gone? reality tv shows on a cartoon channel? Iv got nothing against reality tv but seriously on a CARTOON channel? It had been a cartoon channel for nearly a decade and they decide to chuck in silly crap like that thing about a newspaper or something. T_T *sigh* RIP Cartoon network, you've really done it this time.

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    Ya really wanna know what happened?
    We grew up.

Our brains are more advanced and have become bored with the learning aspects of these cartoons (believe it or not, they are there). In truth, little has changed from the cartoons of our time. We remember the old cartoons from our youth fondly because they gave us something special, something that our minds no longer hunger for. Today's cartoons do the same for today's children, however we are from a different era and are immune to their effects. They basically have the same message, but the message is tuned to what is happening now, not then. We cannot relate the same way a child now can.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Ya really wanna know what happened?
    We grew up.

Our brains are more advanced and have become bored with the learning aspects of these cartoons (believe it or not, they are there). In truth, little has changed from the cartoons of our time. We remember the old cartoons from our youth fondly because they gave us something special, something that our minds no longer hunger for. Today's cartoons do the same for today's children, however we are from a different era and are immune to their effects. They basically have the same message, but the message is tuned to what is happening now, not then. We cannot relate the same way a child now can.
    I totally agree with this statement. The cartoons we grew up with was with our generation. Now since the newer generation came about so has their taste of animation. And we see the new cartoons that we don't like. They like them because it is in their generation. They didn't grew up in ours. Now maybe if they grew up in our generation, they probably feel the same way.

I for one is too old to watch CN. I started watching it when I was 18. Well I grew up then, but back then...they had wonderful cartoons! And they had Toonami! Good old Toonami. I loved that block so much. They showed great anime. Like Sailor Moon, YuYu Hakusho, Outlaw Star, RK, Dragonball Z, Reboot, Tenchi, Gundam Wing...the list is endless.

And I also liked Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Scooby Doo(The late 60s-70s version), Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Yogi Bear, The Jetsons, The Flintstones, etc. But now you can only watch those in Boomerang. Which I have that channel, thank goodness.

I think the time CN died is around when they got rid of Toonami and put their reality shows in their lineup. Who do they think they are?! It is CARTOON Network. It is a place for cartoons...bah! I give up on them. The only thing I watch in that channel is Adult Swim. And now Adult Swim is starting to become bad too. The only thing I watch from it now it is Bleach. I remember back in 2002 when it started...all it will show is anime. Good, wonderful anime. Now I am sorry they put their dumb shows there. And they got Family Guy, King of The Hill, American Dad...oh why?! They used to come on FOX! It is messed up. I miss my anime.

But oh well. I moved on. I am too old for that channel apparently.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • Wow, when's the last time I heard of that name? Geez, I loved the old cartoons, like Dexter's Laboratory, Courage the Cowardly Dog, etc.

Man, my domestic helper and I used to watch Tom and Jerry together, and that's the only programme I watch on CN.
    Too bad my domestic helper left already...

Years
  • Hmm.. You're probably talking about the US CN, right? I live in Europe, and on the CN here we still have Edd, Ed and Eddy and most of the older cartoons. We also have flapjack, and chowder, and My Gym Partner is a Monkey. The cn here ends at 21:00 (9 pm), and after that is a channel called tmc, which shows old black and white movies. The newest show we got here is starwars.

Back