• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What's your favorite starter?

What's your favorite starter?

• Total voters
    Years
    I've always been partial to Cyndaquil ever since my very first GenII playthrough (Silver by the way). I remember starting with Cyndaquil so that I would have the advantage against the bug gym.

I do occasionally use Chikorita nowadays, though, for the extra challenge.

:t254: Sceptile0111 :t254:

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
    The only reason that I never picked Chikorita was because of the lack of good grass moves in the game. I mean Cyndaquil gets flamethrower, Totodile gets surf and Chikorita gets Razor Leaf?

blue

gucci
    Years
    The only reason that I never picked Chikorita was because of the lack of good grass moves in the game. I mean Cyndaquil gets flamethrower, Totodile gets surf and Chikorita gets Razor Leaf?

Chikorita gets petal dance which is just as strong as surf & Flamethrower

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
    Chikorita gets petal dance which is just as strong as surf & Flamethrower
    You have to breed it in and it is a continuous attack which really tends to annoy me. It also causes the user to become confused and after all of that, it is still not as powerful as surf or flamethrower.

But it gets Synthesis and Light Screen which makes it a great staller, as well as Body Slam and Razor Leaf which are great too.

You can always teach it Giga Drain but it has low PP and Razor Leaf still has a high critical hit ratio though.

When I play during the game, I do not usually have pokemon that are solely used for stalling, but rather pokemon that know attacking moves, therefore I would rarely use Synthesis or Light Screen. Also, I hate Giga Drain and you don't get it until you are pretty far in the game anyway.

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2013
    I like ll the grass starters. I hate Totodile but i like Cyndaquil. the only water starters i like are empoleon and swampert. Grass rulez!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 28, 2012
    I'd have to go with Totodile, although it's purely an aesthetic choice.

Cyndaquil has always struck me as having the blandest design of any starter. He's okay as far as stats go, but nothing's ever really endeared him to me. I like Chikorita, but I always end up comparing it in my mind to Bulbasaur. And that is a fight it is destined to lose.

Trope

Protéger just au matin~Féerie!
    Years
    Cyndaquil or Totodile, but that's mostly because I'm not that fond of Grass types to start with, Bulbasaur being the exception since it's dual Poison/Grass and Poison is yummy.

shamin32

The Wanna be Champion
    Years
    I like totodile because he's just as good as cydiquil but he has way better and more move that he can learn. PLus he's stronger and capable of strong hits with his high Defence

Back