• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which anti-virus is the best one?

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
  • I used AVG, but the latest releases are so bloated that it kills my system speed. So I switched to Comodo, which I loved until it started causing random BSODs. Then I used Avira, which was fine except for annoying popups and hideous interface.

I got NOD32 for $9.99 and it's really great so far - probably the best antivirus I've ever used. It picks up viruses, updates in the background, and doesn't affect my system performance at all. I really like it.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    I recommend ESET NOD32, its pretty decent and it doesn't leave much of a footprint on your system (resources-wise).
    If you want the best protection available I'd say Kaspersky.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • I recommend ESET NOD32, its pretty decent and it doesn't leave much of a footprint on your system (resources-wise).
    If you want the best protection available I'd say Kaspersky.

That's what I'm using right now. It's cool 'cause it quarintines suspicious files.

Tombstone975

The grass is always greener.
    Years
  • In my opion i live avast cause its free and it gives you a good enought days to run it.
    Mostly it warns me what sites are unsafe and waht content is unsafe.
    Plus it dosen't block most games like Norton.

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • NOD32 is not free. Lies. However it is excellent, and I use it on my PC at home, and our entire (government authority) network at work runs it. Highly recommended.

Other than that, yes, AVG is also good. I use it as a secondary antivirus (as in, I don't run it in the background, I use it to scan after NOD's had a go).

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Dunno but I will give u a head's up that Antivirus 2009 if u see it pop up X it right away cuz it will start installing on ur computer right away creazte viruses and to get rid of them u have to go to some store and pay...trust me it happened to my computer b4 and it crashed!!!

Zet

Years
  • oh yeah, if you people want extra protection from zero day threats, rootkits and the such I recommend threat fire, it works with your current av so you don't have to uninstall it and it's free, nod32 seems to block any weird programs from installing straight away :P

Tombstone975

The grass is always greener.
    Years
  • oh yeah, if you people want extra protection from zero day threats, rootkits and the such I recommend threat fire, it works with your current av so you don't have to uninstall it and it's free, nod32 seems to block any weird programs from installing straight away :P
    Yea it might depend if you have lot of prgrams on your computer.
    Some programs where ment be over protective,

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • I personally use Bitdefender. Not ot of any special reasons. Norton has proven to have an extremely limited database, hog data, and be useless. AVG Free let a lot of junk through the mesh. McAfee was rather slow, had a lot of flaws, was poorly designed, but came free with the ISP. Bitdefender has one of the largest databases out there (It's updated hourly! You don't have to download the update then, though), it does everything from surface scans to in-depth scans, and has caught everything that slipped through the cracks. Not only that, but it does an excellent job of stopping stuff like rootkits before anything happens. And, it has a game mode so that you can play whatever online game you want with not trouble at all. I do know what I'm talking about. Oh, did you know that it has been rated #1 as both an antivirus and suite for years? It's also cheaper than a lot of the much worse programs.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I personally recommend avast! and Spybot Search and Destroy.
    I run both on my system and I've never had any problem with either. avast can be a little over protective sometimes but it's just doing it's job. It's most often very unobtrusive and I barely notice that it's running unless it pops up to tell me it's finished updating or if it finds a virus.

avast! makes a great first line of defense against most of the common nasties out there.
    As my secondary line of defense, I use Spybot Search and Destroy. It's resident protection is just as unobtrusive and it prevents changes to the windows registry. It does tend to get annoying if you're installing programs, but it does help notify you if something is trying to make changes to the registry. which is really useful because you have the option to approve or deny the registry change.

Zet

Years
  • I don't know, I've found bitdefender to be horrible and only some places have ranked it number #1 from a limited range of antiviruses, and as a computer geek yourself surely you know eset is the way to go

Dr. Ookido

オーキド博士
    Years
  • Glitchfinder said:
    I personally use Bitdefender. Not ot of any special reasons. Norton has proven to have an extremely limited database, hog data, and be useless. AVG Free let a lot of junk through the mesh. McAfee was rather slow, had a lot of flaws, was poorly designed, but came free with the ISP. Bitdefender has one of the largest databases out there (It's updated hourly! You don't have to download the update then, though), it does everything from surface scans to in-depth scans, and has caught everything that slipped through the cracks. Not only that, but it does an excellent job of stopping stuff like rootkits before anything happens. And, it has a game mode so that you can play whatever online game you want with not trouble at all. I do know what I'm talking about. Oh, did you know that it has been rated #1 as both an antivirus and suite for years? It's also cheaper than a lot of the much worse programs.
    Dunno, I've tried Bitdefender free edition, and it updated really damned slowly compared to other anti-virus programs. But other than that, it kept putting queer temporary files (which I couldn't delete) in my Temp folder, which my old Norton thought were viruses, and then it really frustrated me because I started thinking it was a virus. But then I uninstalled it and poof, my computer was fine, odd temporary files gone.

Seriously though, "which anti-virus is the best one?" Really hard to say, opinions definitely vary, just choose one and try it I guess.

Tokin

:3
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    I highly recommend Kaspersky internet security 2009, my current one, how do I know it's good? I used to have a very bothersome hacker, I tried Panda, Norton, Avast, BitDefender, McAfee, Spybot.... none of them were able to stop this person's actions, only this one did^^

combustion

♥ Teddy ♥
    Years
    • Age 26
    • ؟
    • Seen Jan 27, 2009
    I'm Currently Using
    AVG Anti-Virus-Free
    And It Hasn't Failed Yet In The Past 2-3 Years

Cumbustion

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • I use Norton and it hasn't failed me yet :|

I love comments like this. It shows how naive the general population is. You never know if an antivirus, particularly Norton or AVG, have failed you until you try another one. Also, Bitdefender rates as the top Antivirus/Internet Security Suite for a reason: It is dependable, updates often, and is cheap. Still, I use a couple others to be sure, and those others haven't picked up ANYTHING since I got Bitdefender. As a side note: Never go with Norton. THey get by on a bloated repuation. They've been around for a long time, and people currently buy it because they haven't tried anything else, remember past versions, or are just too lazy to do a little research. THeir quality has degraded over the years, to the point where, if you HAVE to go with it, you want to avoid the suites at all costs, since they hog way too much processing power, even on relatively good PCs. Try looking up reviews of antiviruses at toptenreviews.

Back