• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which do you think is the best FRLG Starter?

which pokemon is better

• bulbasuar

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • charmander

Votes: 38 44.7%
  • squitrle

Votes: 32 37.6%

• Total voters

Joey the Cockroach

Dino Crisis will never die!!!!
    Years
    id say bulbasaur cos hes good against most of the gym leaders. every pokemon game i always use a grass pokemon. rarely, i start with a water pokemon. :)

Anarchytekt

Techlord
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Aug 16, 2006
    Charmander - Chars other pokemon if you ask me. Yeah sure, the first 2 gyms can be a pain, but that's good in a way. You gain a ton of experience before you go out of Cerulean.

SleepyGomamon

I do NOT taste like ramen
    Years
    I like Bulbasaur a lot. It has really balanced stats, and can last a long, long time in battle with the right moves. It also doesn't hurt that there are soooo many water pokemon to deal with.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2010
    for me it's bulbasaur, but i guess most people disagree. but really, grass is strong against rock, water, electric.. and no significant weakness against grass... bulbasaur is definitely the best starter in terms of beating the game because he's strong against most of the gym leaders(the early ones at least) whereas squirtle would be weak against electricity, and charmander weak against well, all the early gym leaders until grass.

in terms of their actual strength, i'd still say bulbasaur. leechseed+sleep powder is a deadly combination in competitive battle with friends and against gym leaders, well, they're all strong. bulbasaur does have his weaknesses(against physic, fire, especially) but really, every pokemon has his weakness and i think his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses.

The Blad�
    Years
    I say Squirtle because in my opinion, it's an easy pokemon to train, it has a good advantage against the first Gym Leader and that it can learn some pretty good moves.

buster_wolf

MUSCLE INFERNO
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Jul 3, 2015
    All three are pretty much equal.

Anyway, here's what I think.

Total Offense: Charizard. He's fairly quick and strong, so it's nice to use that pokemon.

Catching Pokemon: Venusaur, sleep powder and other things make it quite easy to catch pokemon.

Balance: Blastoise, pretty balanced out stats, though he has killer defense. Some good skills too.

My choice? Squirtle, he's just cool like that. But the rest are pretty darn good in their own way.

Last edited:
    Back