• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which One: Paul or Gary

Paul or Gary?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    They are both good trainers. I choose Gary because I think he's a much better trainer. He even has way more Pokemon than Paul.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    I like Gary more, because, even though he is Ash's rival, he is friendly towards him, helps him and winds Ash up, which is funny to see. He is also a much better trainer and friendlier towards his Pokémon. So therefore, I choose Gary.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Shinji is the better rival by far. He has an opposite method of training his Pokémon, he appears more often than Shigeru, as well as actually battles Satoshi. He also causes Satoshi to become enraged so that's pretty cool too I guess.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Paul. Like, Gary was great to begin with because he was the douchebag that you loved to hate. Then the writers tried to turn him into the Jerk with a Heart of Gold kinda stereotype and ended up ruining him. As long as Paul stays a jerk, I'll prefer him :D

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
    Okay, I technically prefer Gary. But Paul is an awesome rival. They're different characters, and I like them both for different reasons. Paul brings something of a level of realism to the show (I mean, c'mon, someone had to treat Pokemon poorly other than the 'bad guys'). But Gary... I actually like his personality.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Shinji.

He's just such a..- can't curse, so.. he's a meanie face. xD; Lets leave it at that.
    Which is great, in my opinion. He's very interesting to me, because he's not your typical goodie-goodie trainer like the majority of the cast. Shinji's actually interesting, and is one of the only things I really like about the DP Anime. nn;

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2011
    in a batlle btw gary and paul, gary would kick his butt, i like the way he treats ash, cool, smart, suave, and they way he treats his pkmn, nice and patient.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Gary. The rivalry between him and Ash is just classic. Plus, Gary annoyed Ash to the point where Ash always got riled up, as hourglass mentioned earlier. Furthermore, Gary also "reformed" as well, and is pretty much on good terms with Ash while sharing a strong friendship/rivalry with him simultaneously. It sucks that Gary is relegated to "Pokemon Researcher" so early though, instead of continuing his and Ash's rivalry. But the occupation is in line with Prof. Oak's position, so it's OK, I guess.

Paul is OK, but I hate how he releases Pokemon right and left (something Gary never did). Paul also looks too 'pessimistic', as opposed to Gary who could give you a laugh of two back in the old days... But I'll admit, Paul does create a nice turn for the plot, and his influences on other characters can be interesting to see sometimes... And his training methods do contrast Ash's, causing you to constantly compare the 2 Trainers.

Lastly, it seems like though Gary travels alone (when he's not with his entourage), he's still a part of the main cast just like Ash and company are. Paul just seemed a little too distanced from everyone else... And Paul just makes people unnecessarily mad most of the time, for some reason.

So, despite some interest in Paul's role as rival, Gary FTW!

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2009
    As a viewer, I like both of them but Paul seems more realistic.
    As an actual Pokemon, I'd prefer Gary because I don't want to be emotionally drained by Paul

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2009
    I would have to say Gary is my choice, imo a rival isn't someone you shouldn't like at all a rival should be someone whom you have a friendship with, small or large, and are able to be rivals but also able to hang around a campfire together and have fun

ravenboy9

Arkansan Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2021
    I prefer Gary. I used to watch the anime all the time back then, like ten times more than I do now, so I know more on Gary than Paul.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Shinji all the way, man. <3 I like Shigeru, but he's just not the right rival for Satoshi, ya know?​

Heiheipig

- This is Madness? -
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    Paul. Gary stopped being a rival after awhile, plus Paul has lots of badges (Ohhh!)

Back