• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which One: Paul or Gary

Paul or Gary?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sweet Jasmine

s m i l e :)
    Years
    Gary is much better. Because he still cares for his pokemon and love them. But Paul is like making his pokemon a servant to make him a Pokemon Master am i right? But still he won't beat Cynthia. Cynthia is the best trainer ever..

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    Shinji creates a new turn for the Pokemon anime. I mean, a lot of trainers are practically screaming "POKEMON IS MY FRIEND" for eternity, but Shinji? NO.

Besides, I'm a fangirl. <3

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    To me Shinji is the better guy. Even though he is down right mean, and harsh on everything, he still has the strength to be a strong trainer. The way they gave him the alter ego of Sotashi was also a plus, while Gary from first acted more like the show off. Shinji has more qualities as a rival to Sotashi and makes the show more interesting with him in it too. Even though Shinji isn't one of my favorite characters, I still prefer him over Gary.

Raaji

Back up, I got a stick!
    Years
    I prefer Paul over Gary. I havn't watched a lot of the new anime but did watch the old one but I like what I see from Paul. Plus he seems kinda like me-ish I guess?

Sweet Jasmine

s m i l e :)
    Years
    Well atlist Gary becomes like an Angel.. But Paul isn't. I think Pauls attitude will not be like become a Good Person/Angel haha. No Offense for the Paul Fans :3. Dont kill meh haha! just joking~

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I say Paul.

He is awsome,his attitude,his look and his pokemon are just plain awsome.

Gary...Meh I hate him

Pass!on

I'll go swimmin' in your eyes
    Years
    YES. Finally a chance to rant about why I love Gary so much and prefer him over Paul.
    I loved Gary because his personality was fun. It was funny to see him constantly taunt Ash and see him get all worked up, because every knew they were bst friends at the end of the day. Somehow, even Gary's new "goody-two-shoes" personality is adorable when you remember how far he's come since episode one. So, to put it simply, I love Gary no matter what he does.

Paul, on the other hand, I don't like so much. I understand that his attitude towards pokemon is new to the pokemon anime. But with anime in general, the whole angsty teenage badboy character is used so much. I know Gary's personality has appeared in anime a lot too, but that character doesn't annoy me as much as a typical bad-boy. In the end I know he's going to really warm up the Ash and his friends and start to change his ways, so maybe I'll start to like him more when we see his sweetheart side. That's what happened with Silver in pokespe.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    Paul (or Shinji, depending on how weeaboo you want to be) seems like a character that was thrown in at the last second to appeal to all the "angsty, antisocial" [pre-]teenagers. Hey, these days it's cool for the little 'uns to hate everyone, right? Needless to say, this has made him the Sasuke of the show, the "Beast" in the "Beauty and the Beast" pairing (the jerkass who all the ladies dream will reveal to them and only them their tender, loving side).

Gary was pimp since the day he first appeared onscreen. 10 years old driving a Merc with cheerleaders in the back? Getting 10 Kanto badges when they're only 8 gyms in the region? Catching 40 Pokemon when Ash had just gotten his 7th (Krabby)? That's Gary M. Oak for you, the OG of PKMN.

Gary is a better rival because he overshadows Ash: he's everything Ash wanted to be and then some, which is a lot deeper than anything that can be said for Paul (HURR DURR I FIGHT YOU BECAUSE YOU'RE MY OPPOSITE HURR DURR).

I HAVE A FLAME SHIELD. YOU CAN'T HURT ME.
    Which One: Paul or Gary

The Scientist

Years
    Shinji

Gary totally failed at being a good rival. Shinji does his job way better than he could ever have done.

Also, neo Gary? Yuck!

A perfect example of the female half of the "Beauty and the Beast" pairing.

Note her location and title. In a forest with Shinji? WTF kind of nonsense is that?

These people tend to not give any reasons as to why they prefer Paul, they'll just blindly say "he's better". These people are the ones that either a) think he's so cool because he's, leik, all dark and strong, or b) love and adore him and believe that he will show them and only them his loving side (lol?).

I'd love to get all the Paul fangirls and lock them in a room to see what they do. If a fight breaks out, my money's on ShinjisLover. At least she can bring up an intellectual counter-argument. That indigo text pisses me off, though.

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
    Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen Jun 4, 2024
    As an ally and confidant, I would choose Shigeru because he's proven time and again that he and Satoshi have similar beliefs and support each other. Shigeru was quite the show-off before (still is a little) but he never gave me a reason to dislike him

As a rival, I'm going with Shinji. He brings a different idea to the Pokemon world, pointing out the fact that not everything is perfect nor that it will be. He is one of the very few people to challenge the black and white way Satoshi sees things and point out where he goes wrong. Yes he is moody, but teenagers go through that phase. It's common in other anime but not so much here.

*hylian*sakura*

Rawr~ =3
    Years
    GARY!!! Paul is a moron. And gary finally learns that fangirls don't make the man. It's sorta creepy though how Dawn acts around him. It makes me feel bad for the guy. But Paul jus needs an attitude adjustment... Plus Gary's got better looks. Haha

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2016
    Gary. The rivalry between him and Ash is just classic. Plus, Gary annoyed Ash to the point where Ash always got riled up, as hourglass mentioned earlier. Furthermore, Gary also "reformed" as well, and is pretty much on good terms with Ash while sharing a strong friendship/rivalry with him simultaneously. It sucks that Gary is relegated to "Pokemon Researcher" so early though, instead of continuing his and Ash's rivalry. But the occupation is in line with Prof. Oak's position, so it's OK, I guess.

Paul is OK, but I hate how he releases Pokemon right and left (something Gary never did). Paul also looks too 'pessimistic', as opposed to Gary who could give you a laugh of two back in the old days... But I'll admit, Paul does create a nice turn for the plot, and his influences on other characters can be interesting to see sometimes... And his training methods do contrast Ash's, causing you to constantly compare the 2 Trainers.

Lastly, it seems like though Gary travels alone (when he's not with his entourage), he's still a part of the main cast just like Ash and company are. Paul just seemed a little too distanced from everyone else... And Paul just makes people unnecessarily mad most of the time, for some reason.

So, despite some interest in Paul's role as rival, Gary FTW!
    Like what you said, Gary!

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2009
    I'm choosing Gary over Paul because Paul seems so dramatic.

At least Gary cares about his Pokemon and doesn't pit them against eachother.

The Scientist

Years
    I only picked Gary 'cause I knew him better than Paul...

That and he's the *beep* *beep*ing Oak.

Yeah. You just finished getting your Ph.D in cancer research... guess who just cured cancer?

Your Pokemon are dead tired after going through the rooms of the S.S. Anne. Guess who shows up to stomp your poor Pokemon?

You get through the Team Rocket HQ, out of any healing items, and your best team reduced to rubble. Who rolls up in their Mercedes?

All your Pokémon are knocked out and you're 5 tiles away from the Pokemon Center. Guess who just blocked the entrance and says he challenges you to a fight?

Also, you can't ignore his girth.

Gary M. Oak said:
    ...That Psyduck you want who is kinda powerful in a weird way, but is totally skilled and can kick ass? The one who keeps going back to trainers who treat him wrong for reasons you don't understand? The one who comes crying to you about his trainer who hasn't been home in 3 days, and no matter how long you listen to him, he'll never think of you as anything other than a friend? The one who'll train with you and practice with you when he feels down but will never let you near him with a pokeball?

Yeah, I captured him.

The hot Charmeleon who won't even look at you when you challenge him? The one who laughs when you drop your pokeballs or send a fire Pokemon against a water Pokemon? The one who comes up and asks for your help with evolving, and then pretends you don't exist once he's finished?

Yeah, I captured him too, even harder.

The shy Vulpix you think might be enough like you that you have a chance with her? She trains in your arena, and hangs around with you all the time? She's so incredible and you just love her so much but you still haven't worked up the courage to tell her you want to capture her?

Guess who just dived into my pokeball?

Whenever you try to-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbVXtuLEPZw

Years
    Gaaaarryy...
    Well, I didn't like him at first, but the writers made him like that.
    Now, I kinda like him more...especially in his lab coat. Haha! >.>

ShadowYashi

A secret makes a woman a woman
    Years
    I wish there was an option for both, but I chose Paul in the end.

I like both Paul and Gary, before Paul, Gary was my favorite, he just had this thing about him that I loved and even though I preferred Jerk Gary over Nice Gary, it doesn't matter, because I just can't see myself not liking him, plus I've always preferred Gary over Ash anyway. Plus he has an awesome VA like Jim Zoppi to voice him. I'd die alittle inside if they'd chage Gary's voice, it wouldn't feel the same.

Paul. He's in my opinion the best rival for Ash, its a change from all the nice guys we see. Sure, Paul's harsh on his Pokemon, but that's the way he trains and so what, I mean its not like he's abusing his Pokemon... physically anyway, Chimchar was a bit mentally scared I think, but Ash and his magical Power of Pokemon Friendship(TM) cleared that up, so the monkey will be alright. Paul's not necessarily a bad trainer... I mean none of his Pokemon hate him, he's just.... different.... his Training methods are different I would say and I mean this isn't anything new, all Paul is, is just the animated version of Silver from G/S/C

And in G/S/C did most of you really have a problem with "Silver?" I didn't, I mean hey not every trainer is going to be all nice and sweet and kind to their Pokemon, I agree with those who like Paul and said his character is realistic, its true... I think out of all the characters on that show, he's probably the most realistic one, he's not just another cardboard cut out of Ash. He's not like Tyson, or Morrison, Ritchie or Gary, he's different, he's snide, prefers strong Pokemon over weak and scolds his Pokemon if they lose and if he doesn't want them, he'll get rid of them, rather than keeping them and abusing them further.

You'd dislike Paul a whole lot more if he did that am I right? So, who cares if he releases weak Pokemon and scolds the ones he deems strong enough to battle by his side after they've lost, he might not be the perfect trainer or the kindest one, but I like him anyway.

@Neiteio: I don't think Paul's anywhere near Time-Skip Sasuke's level of douchebagery. Paul doesn't angst, he's not out for revenge, I think he cares deeply for his brother, even if he doesn't show it, he doesn't hate everyone, he respects his elders has mild respect for Brock, though due to association with Ash, he shows mild distaste as well, all the while feeling indefference to Dawn, plus he doesn't hate Ash. I mean, Paul barely even recognizes their rivalry and Ash as a trainer and ignores his speeches about loving his Pokemon, the only thing he's remotely interested in is Ash's Pikachu (Because everyone loves that stinking yellow rat) *insert eye roll* Other than slight interest in Pikachu, he could probably care less about Ash and care more about defeating the Pokemon League and gaining strong Pokemon.

Last edited:
    Back