• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which One: Paul or Gary

Paul or Gary?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ayselipera

Gary will always be better than any rival Ash ever
    has. Gary was the best rival ever hes the original.
    Even though I never even seen Paul in the show I'm
    firmly behind Gary. All the originals were better than
    the people who were added on later. Just like Misty
    will always be better than May and Dawn. The only
    replacement I ever liked equally with the character
    before them was Tracey who sorta replaced Brock
    for a little while.

Isabelle

★ Emo Princess ★
    Years
    I prefer Gary.. Because he still cares at his pokemon and love them. But Paul is like a master to his pokemons and make his pokemon slaves.

Marionette

¿ǝɹnɔ ɐ
    Years
    I much prefer Gary to Paul.
    Paul annoys me, and I like Gary as a character
    since Gary is awesome and Paul is a jerk c:

xD even if Gary is a bit of a jerk too.

FalconJoker

Joking with the Devil
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    I personally like the approach Paul takes to Pokemon. It's exactly the approach I'd probably take if Pokemon were real. Like what was said earlier, it's not that he abuses his Pokemon physically, he just demands a lot from them. It's probably a mutual respect between him and his Pokemon.

Silver_Hell

Ocean wave...
    Years
    Shigeru (Gary) is stronger I think. In the last episodes I seen he was kinda friendly to Ash which means that he got a little wiser. Shinji (Paul) is really annoying to me.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Gary is the original Mofo'er
    I wanna see him roll up in his mercedes, his ho's on each arm cheering him on

Paul is okay/doesn't care for new pokemon series

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    i like Paul's attitude that he is better than everyone else but
    i like Gary's Care and concern for his pokemon and his competitiveness with ash
    i hate paul
    I like Gary
    so because of that i voted for paul because he is what i want in ashes rival i hate him he makes me made and i want ash to wipe the floor with him so i think paul is a better rival

False Flag

Anime/Manga Junkie
    Years
    Paul is simply the better rival hand down. He's what pushes Ash to not just only try to beat him in battle, but to beat him in training methods and relationships between their pokemon. It's like a clash of cultures.

Paul's the reason why I watch the anime again, and I would like to see him with Scizor since he already has Weavile and he only likes strong pokemon.

Besides, Paul's no different than how we play the games by releasing the weak. Ash and Gary don't release pokemon, but they also only use their strongest pokemon, just like Paul.

This is how I would rank Ash's rivals thus far:

Tier 1: Paul
    Tier 2: Barry
    Tier 3: Gary, Harrison, Tyson, Richtie, et al

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    Gary, mainly because while they both were harsh, Gary had a hidden more gentle side.

Norcinu

Beginning Snagger
    Years
    I previously chose Gary cause well, he's Gary but he's already been immortalized but I've watched the episodes with Paul and now like him. He's a realistic trainer, I mean, what hardcore trainer caught/breed dozens of Pokemon just to get the right nature/stats while abandoning the weaker ones? He's cool in his own heartless way :)

Years
    Paul seems more like a "bad guy" and just wants power where Gary always wanted to beat Ash, and competed against him since birth

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Gary.... Gary rox my sox.. And i have pretty hot socks!!
    he's my favourite trainer of all time ^^ even if his voice is annoying xD

ShadowYashi

A secret makes a woman a woman
    Years
    Gary, because his Pokemon is a lot stronger and the fact that he isn't cruel to his Pokemon.
    Paul is not cruel to his Pokemon, He's just very demanding of them and they respect him for it, its a mutual thing in terms of strength. None of hi Pokemon hate him and Chimchar was just scared of Paul, because Chimchar was not like the rest of his team, who might I add respect their trainer because they deem him strong enough to lead them and he deems them strong enough to battle for him.

Chimchar and his happy personality belonged with Ash anyway, anyone without a brain could see that. They just wanted a reason to give him the other fire starter, rather than just having him catch it, Chimchar is just another disosbeying Charizard in the making... besides, Paul bases his team on strengyh, he's not abusive and he isn't cruel, he's just a hardass that expects alot from his team.

Back