• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Which R/B/G/Y Starter?

Which B/R/G/Y Starter Is Your Favorite?

• Charmander

Votes: 78 50.6%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Bulbasaur

Votes: 23 14.9%

• Total voters

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Definitely Squirtle and Bulbasaur. <3 Though I'm a fan of Charmander. However, I feel most of the starters are slightly overrated. =/

they're very overrated IMO. Besides swampert and infernape, none of them have really been OU...maybe venusaur, but it was nothing you were afraid of at all.

Rainfall

~Solitude
    Years
    Charmander, just because its a challenge to train. My favorite starter is Bulbasaur, but its just too easy for me, and I rarely like to do things the easy way.

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    Unless you go at them with incredibly low-level pokemon with terrible disadvantages, but that isn't so smart.
    The great thing about the Pokemon games is that you don't have to take a competitive slant (people vs people) to the game if you don't want to. The more you take the easiest route through a game, for the sake of it being easy - every time you play it, you reduce the replayability of that game.

If you have trouble beating the gym leaders you fail :/
    I find decisive wins are boring and unchallenging. I have trouble beating gym leaders. That doesn't make me 'fail'. You give me the impression that when you first got the game you never lost once. You knew all types by heart and knew which starter to pick...

The Wave

Something to believe in....
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2016
    charmander. I'm always obsessed with fire pokemon somehow...

The Infinite Devil Machine

Obvious, with hindsight
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2020
    I always chose Charmander. Mainly because I had a dinosaur fetish back when I was five. 0_o

I still do now though. I love Charizard and I always use one, even today.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2008
    I choose Charmander. Its a little harder to start with him but later on he can deal really high damage.

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    Well, for a RBGY starter favorite, you sure did forget Pikachu.

Anywho, as far as design goes all 3 are cute. I never had much trouble with any of them, Bulbasaur has a hard time getting through the routes with Pidgey (you know, back when it knew gust as it's first move...) I've always though of going back to Crystal, breeding out a Charmander, going through Johto with it and see if the challenge is any harder with the 3 original starters or not... though I'm trying this for Johto at the moment: Croconaw, Elekid, Houndour, Gloom, Slowpoke, and looking for a 6th Pokemon, might go with Koffing (I'm trying to hatch a shiny one.)

I'd love to go through Johto and use Charmander instead of Cyndaquil, it'd be interesting.

Kitori_theTeamAquaSuicune

Aqua Snagger Kitori
    Years
    I would normally pick Charmander, because:

A) My birthday Pokemon (Oct. 4th Charmander is Pokemon number 4 a ringin-a-bell?)

B) I like Chrizards.

C) Fire is my second favorite Type. (Would've gone for water, but I really don't like Squirtle that much. And since Lightning is my other second favorite type, that's outta the question.)

Years
    I usually pick Squirtle - I love water Pokemon, and I love Blastoise, so yep, Squirtle for me. (I think Wartortle is kinda hideous, but I bear it :P)

Sometimes I pick Charmander though, because I love watching him become a Charizard.

I never pick Bulbasaur, he's just not very appealing to me.

As for what people were saying about beating gym leaders and everything - sometimes I like a good old loss, a good old frustrating fight. A challenge is always good!

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    well seeing as the question was which R,B,G,Y starter was your favorite I'd have to say that Pikachu was my favorite cuz it posed a huge threat when battleing brock and Surge, even though they did give you mankey and diglett. (though if I Have to choose one of the original's I'd always go with charmander just cuz, and my brother's always said I had a fiery personality)

chews

Chewilicious
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2007
    I voted for Charmander as i like charizard & fire/dragon types as alwayz

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    well i would have said charmander like the rest of you but i desided to pick squirtle when i restarted FR and it's great (i got a female one and so nicknamed her Misty lol), bulbasaur makes the game too easy to be honest with bulba you only need to catch more pokemon so you can use HM where as with charmander and squirtle you need to train other pokemon

Adelaide-Amber

-|Fashion Statement Suicide|-
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2008
    charmander for sure. idk why but i've always loved charmander and it's evolutions as well. charizard ROCKS. and i also have always picked the fire-type starters. i was sooooooo obsessed with dinosaurs and dragons back then too :)

Back