• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Which R/B/G/Y Starter?

Which B/R/G/Y Starter Is Your Favorite?

• Charmander

Votes: 78 50.6%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Bulbasaur

Votes: 23 14.9%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2010
    I haven't played R/B/Y for a while, but I seem to remember starting with Charmander a few times, and it just being terrible. Now it is good, but before they split the Special stat, it was straight up bad. Blastoise is just the opposite, it was much better in R/B/Y than it is now. Venasaur has always been good

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    As i only ever played in-game, it has to be the bulbasaur line, it rapes:
    Brock
    Misty
    Lt surge (Due to resistance)
    Giovani
    Loreal
    Agatha (Due to resistance)
    Bruno's 2 Onix and Lance's Aerodactyl

Thats more than any other starter.

lostprophetsown

chatot,lucario and lance lover
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2013
    i pretty much like them all,i picked bulbasaur first time then charmander and squirtle then started with charmander and traded them all off my other pokemon game XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2017
    I usually like Fire over anything (in RBY), but I prefer Bulbasaur... I like Venusaur :D

Although I usually don't use starters, I like having a team consisting of mostly "weaker" Pokemons like Vileplume, Kadabra, Haunter, Kangaskhan, etc...

neonlights

Über Crystal Maniac
    Years
    When i first played on it, i picked Charmander.
    The next time i picked Squirtle.
    The next time Bulbasaur.

Charmander owns though!

Zerrah.

Mauling with Ursaring
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    I love the Charmander line. But I also like Blastoise. Charmander is da bomb!! ^_^

Super Wario 64

So i herd u liek me?
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2009
    I chose Squirtle in my blue runs cause he's great and
    IMO, Bulbasaur doesn't learn Vine whip until Lv14(?)
    Here's my rankings of R/B Starters:
    No.1: Squirtle
    No.2: Charmander
    No.3: Bulbasaur

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2010
    I tend to go with Bulbasaur, Venasaur is a great pokemon, but also there is a distressing lack of good grass pokemon in R/B/Y. As I said before, Charizard wasn't all that good in the first gen games, so Arcanine or Ninetails would both probably be better choices for your fire. With Squirtle, there are a ton of waters that could be just as good, if not better i.e. Gyrados, Starmie, Lapras, Omastar, Dewgong, Cloyster. If you don't take Venasaur, what are you going to replace it with? Victreebell? Exeggutor? or you could maybe go straight poison with Weezing or Muk. None of them can compete with Venasaur.

Years
    I pick all i put one in staduim box and then continue on doing the same thing but Charmander is the one who obeys me all the time

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Charmander, beat the entire game with just him, train to charmeleon befor gym 1, and sweep the world, charmander is a beast >D

Charizard will own every thing in its path! >D

Super Wario 64

So i herd u liek me?
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2009
    I tend to go with Bulbasaur, Venasaur is a great pokemon, but also there is a distressing lack of good grass pokemon in R/B/Y. As I said before, Charizard wasn't all that good in the first gen games, so Arcanine or Ninetails would both probably be better choices for your fire. With Squirtle, there are a ton of waters that could be just as good, if not better i.e. Gyrados, Starmie, Lapras, Omastar, Dewgong, Cloyster. If you don't take Venasaur, what are you going to replace it with? Victreebell? Exeggutor? or you could maybe go straight poison with Weezing or Muk. None of them can compete with Venasaur.
    so you're saying that it's WORTH the wait for a true grass type move *Vine Whip* when Bulba learns it at Level 13, Level 14 or Level 15?
    and BTW, Venusaur is BL and so is Victreebel in the RBY competitive metagame according to smogon.com also Exeggutor is OU in the RBY Competitive metagame

XSeerian

My name is actually Drenz!
    Years
    I seemed to be partial to the Fire type starters, because IMO they always have a much cooler design, even though I usually pick Totodile in Generation II, because...well...he's just awesome!

But seriously, it sometimes bothers me how much attention they put into the cool level of the Fire types final Evolution in the games, than any other starter type, even though...Cyndaquil's final form wasn't all too promising in my eyes.

~Drenz

Thunder Beam

My Current Team on Diamond
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2008
    I have already been a fan of Fire Pokemons, so Charmander will be my pick.

Back