• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Which R/B/G/Y Starter?

Which B/R/G/Y Starter Is Your Favorite?

• Charmander

Votes: 78 50.6%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Bulbasaur

Votes: 23 14.9%

• Total voters

ChikoritaBayleef

♥Bayleef Lover♥
Years
  • R/B/G/Y?
    What does the G stand for? Gold? Gold wasn't like Red, Blue, or Yellow. Gold was with Silver and Crystal.

Anyways I love Charmander. He was my very first starter back around 10 or 11 years ago. I still pick him over all the others except Chikorita.

The Infinite Devil Machine

Obvious, with hindsight
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2020
    R/B/G/Y?
    What does the G stand for? Gold? Gold wasn't like Red, Blue, or Yellow. Gold was with Silver and Crystal.

Anyways I love Charmander. He was my very first starter back around 10 or 11 years ago. I still pick him over all the others except Chikorita.

G stands for Green. >_>'

Already posted, but I chose Char.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Bulbasaur is probably the best for starting, effective against both Brock and Mysty — the first two Gym Leaders. After that it makes a pretty solid Pokemon for general battling, just as all starters do.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2016
    Gotta go with Charmander I have picked fire almost every time in my main game.

I.E.
    Blue > Charmander
    Silver > Cyndaquil
    Sapphire > Torchic

Then I'd go with something else If I played the other game of that Generation.

Fearless

Franchise
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2008
    Charmander FTW. I've always picked him first. Almost like a tradition...he seemed strongest to me.

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
  • Bulbasaur all the way. I always pick the grass starter out of tradition, but none of them will ever live up to Bulbasaur's awesomosity.

And this isn't really all that important, but someone on the first page of the thread said that the only starters that have ever really been overused are Swampert and Infernape. To that, I say:

ARE YOU FREAKING INSANE?! HAVE YOU EVEN HEARD OF CHARIZARD? Charizard was used on like, every team for the first two generations. Awesome special attack (even better after the special split), good speed, good attack and swords dance. Also, Meganium and Typhlosion were incredibly popular in GSC, and Blaziken was comparable in RSE. Just getting that off my chest.

Andelc

Cool Trainer Alex
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    Bulbasaur is awesome and the best starter. Bulbasaurs one of my favorite pokemon. I didnt even evolve it in my firered.

Hotaru

Nostalgia Strikes Again
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2011
    Charmander for me. :D

When I first played Pokemon Red, I trained my Charmander way above any of my others. Pretty sure I beat the Elite Four with just my Charizard, since I left my other pokemon at levels 20-30. xD Hah, I was quite the amateur when I first started out.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    Charmander.

When i first got R/B, i chose him because i love fire-types. I always choose the fire types whenever i get a new pokemon game (i can always choose non fire types in the other catridges).

Cid

Years
  • I remember when my older brother said that Bulbasaur is perfect for beginners (two-types) while Charmander is a little bit harder to raise (with low defenses and such)... I guess he said that because the first gym in RBGY is Rock-type and Grass-types/Water-types have an advantage... But I started with Squirtle since you can teach him Ice Attacks which will put you to an advantage with those pesky Grass and/or Flying-type Pokemon... So I guess Squirtle would be good for a starter...

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I always pick Squirtle. Not only because Blastoise is my favorite Water type, but because aside from Vaporeon, and Gyarados (which isn't fully Water) there are not that many good water types.

Charizard has much competition; Magmar, Arcanine, Rapidash, Ninetails, heck, even Flareon.

Venasuar is just D:

Prinny

Prinny Overlord
    Years
  • When I first got my pokemon game, i got the Red version. You know, the one with the awesome looking Charizard on the front.. yep.

Needless to say I chose Charmander.

Ironically my brother had the blue version and chose Squirtle.

Back