• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which starter did you pick?

Which did you pick?

• Total voters

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • I'm starting with Tepig, but at some point I'll be trading to obtain Wotter and Snivy as well. I still don't know exactly what point the other 2 starters will be entering my copy of Black/Gray... However, I'm slightly sad because the Tepig I'll be using will be from the Dream World (with the ability Reckless), so it won't actually be the Tepig I start out with in-game. :( Why couldn't Game Freak make it so that the Tepig I start out with has a 50% chance of having Blaze and a 50% chance of having Reckless, like all those other percentage-dependent abilities..?

Quite awesome that Tepig can learn Superpower via breeding. I might breed using a Dream World Emboar with Reckless, or I might just opt for Superpower via level-up. :\

I'll take Snivy which is exceptional for me because I never picked the grass Pokemon as a starter. I always felt that [S-HIGHLIGHT]grass Pokemon were weaker even though they're not [/S-HIGHLIGHT]:P.

Yes they are! Type-wise, at least. Naturally weak to five types defensively (six for Sawsbucks), and hits for not-very-effective damage on SEVEN types, my GOSH. It's a miracle (-Seed) that Grass-types are even usable these days.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • This has got to be one of the hardest decisions I will ever make (in terms of starter Pokemon, anyway. ;D) Tepig looks the best, but Samurott looks amazing. :O I prefer it to Emboar. But I wantb the Jellyfish because it's amazing, and I don't really want two water Pokemon. D:

silvanarrow

A figment of your imagination
    Years
  • For some reason, 5th gen has a knack for forcing us to make really tough decisions. It was a close race, but I'm going to go with Snivy. I normally don't use a lot of grass Pokemon, but I adore snakes and just couldn't pass it up. Oshawott is a close second, and I may use him in the third game or just trade with a friend to get him. Plus, I'm interested in playing to the Snivy line's unique stat spread and using different strategies than just straight-up power for once.

iSoul

Noob
    Years
  • I want Tepig, which is weird because I always pick the water type Pokemon. Maybe after I get Black, I will get White and get Oshuwatt (If that is even how you spell it).

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
    Years
  • I will be using Tepig. The reason is because he has the best movepool for Physical Attacks, and Emboar is a dual type, the only one of the new 3 starters. And, it has the same types as Blaziken from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, which was a Pokemon I really enjoyed using.

My second would be Oshawatt, because it has the second best movepool, albeit a bit weaker than Tepig, since most of the Water-type moves it learns are Physical Attacks, not Special Attacks.

My last pick is Snivy. I love snakes, and when I saw Snivy, I thought he would be the best. Then I saw, as with all other Grass-type Starters, that he is a Defensive type. He also has the most restricted movepool out of all 3. Now, if they gave him Contrary as his basic ability, then I'd pick him first.

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
  • I got Black today & chose Oshawott - It's just too adorable!
    Plus I love it's Character in the Anime.

LouBeatYou

Go Kibago, Go!
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2012
    Originally I wanted Oshawott, but I decided there were much better water pokemon, and so I picked Snivy, I love the design, and I think he can run a somewhat effective SubSeed :)

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
  • Originally I wanted Oshawott, but I decided there were much better water pokemon, and so I picked Snivy, I love the design, and I think he can run a somewhat effective SubSeed :)

Same! I was so sure I was going to pick Oshawott, but now I'm considering Snivy.. I just can't choose, they are both awesome! :P

Years
  • Snivy as i don't like the look of the other two starters, as seen as the game is very much going back to the beginning i chose it because on my first Pokemon game which was blue i chose Bulbasaur!

DarkVhozon

Steel/Dragon Master
    Years
  • Oshawott, I'm tired of the Fire-Fighting Starters and Snivy isnt anything special if u ask me, but I would take it over Tepig. Plus Oshawott's final evo learns Swords Dance, ma favorite move.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Uggh! I can't decide.

All I know is I'm not getting Emboar... he doesn't have enough competitive value for post-game.

Serperior or Samurott... are any of those good for competitive play? (Without DW abilities.)

I like to use my starter post game for some online battles and friend battles.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I ended up going with Tepig, because the Mrs picked Oshawott, and most of my friends where picking either Oshawott or Snivy.

Back