• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter for Fire red?

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    Charmander is nice. If you have D/P, you can make it to a Bellyzard or whatever along the road. He's pretty bad at the first two gyms, but as for the rest, he sweeps them.

Bulbasaur is a good choice as well. Sleep Powder is amazing. So is Poisonpowder, etc. But, really, Venasaur lacks RAW power and STAB moves.

Squirtle is my least favorable choice. He has lots of STAB moves and raw power, but faints easily. Also has trouble with like, 5 gyms.

Charmander is my vote.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • Good choice, I hope you enjoy your red dragon like monster of mass fiery destruction err I mean Charmander, incase you don't know Charizard is the final form of charmander and he is quite the looker "i'd tap that" Said the female Dragonite.

I suggest you capture a Mankey east of Viridian City to pummel pewter city gym (Make sure it has learned a fighting move though)

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    So I guess the beginning is the only part of the game that actually has some sort of difficulty setting, and it's very easily overridden by catching other pokemon and trading. But as an individual trainer, the difficulty is how much time you're willing to put into the game to begin with which reflects on your battles.

All of the starter pokemon evolve into great pokemon, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses just like all the others. So really, it's a matter of personal preference and your style.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm probobly going to go with Charmander now! Yep, im going with Charmander..

You're easily swayed, aren't you? :/

So basically you're listening to a bunch of Chariturd Fanboys waving their hands around saying "73H Ch@R1Z@rdZ 1$ 73H 00B3r B-cuz 1z @ dr@g0n!!!!!1111one"

Rock

Charizard's Weaknesses:
    Rock (x4) Stone Edge is seen on alot of Pokemon
    Electric (x2) Part of Boltbeam. Commonly seen on Ghost types, too.
    Water (x2) Water Type is the most highly populated type out their. Even then, Pokemon liek Salamance carry Water Attacks ofen (Hydro Pump in this case)

All three of 'zards weaknesses are commonly used types. Also, Stealth ROck Destroys Zard and makes the 'Drummer Varients useless.

Venusaur's Weaknesses:
    -Fire (x2) Flamethrower is usd alot less than Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, and when it is used it generally is on Pokemon you shouldn't be against in the first place
    -Flying (x2) Flying attacks are mostly used on Pokemon that get stab from it, but besides that aren't that common
    -Ice (x2) This is pretty much the only weakness you'll see alot of on Pokemont hat don't even get STAB on it.
    -Psychic (x2) Only n00bs Use Psychic Attacks nowadays, as it has very poor coverage.

Blastoise's Weaknesses:
    Electric: Quite Common
    Grass: Not seen much on anything it should be fighting.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • You're easily swayed, aren't you? :/

So basically you're listening to a bunch of Chariturd Fanboys waving their hands around saying "73H Ch@R1Z@rdZ 1$ 73H 00B3r B-cuz 1z @ dr@g0n!!!!!1111one"

Rock

Charizard's Weaknesses:
    Rock (x4) Stone Edge is seen on alot of Pokemon
    Electric (x2) Part of Boltbeam. Commonly seen on Ghost types, too.
    Water (x2) Water Type is the most highly populated type out their. Even then, Pokemon liek Salamance carry Water Attacks ofen (Hydro Pump in this case)

All three of 'zards weaknesses are commonly used types. Also, Stealth ROck Destroys Zard and makes the 'Drummer Varients useless.

Venusaur's Weaknesses:
    -Fire (x2) Flamethrower is usd alot less than Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, and when it is used it generally is on Pokemon you shouldn't be against in the first place
    -Flying (x2) Flying attacks are mostly used on Pokemon that get stab from it, but besides that aren't that common
    -Ice (x2) This is pretty much the only weakness you'll see alot of on Pokemont hat don't even get STAB on it.
    -Psychic (x2) Only n00bs Use Psychic Attacks nowadays, as it has very poor coverage.

Blastoise's Weaknesses:
    Electric: Quite Common
    Grass: Not seen much on anything it should be fighting.

Very true, however this is Fire Red, not D/P so some of those moves don't exist in FR.
    I merely suggested charmander because they Game is not really any harder or easier with whatever starter you choose aslong as you consistently train in the wild between towns, most of the time I end up well over leveled which makes Charizard begin to trample his weaknesses anyway.

Whatthehell

Pokemon Crato Creator...
    Years
  • This is what i do on fire red its the legendary free pwnage team!

Starter - Veanasaur

Catch a magikarp train to gyradose

Catch a growlith evolve to arcainine

Catch a gastley - evolve to haunter

Catch a snorlax

Then let the good times role!

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Venusaur is good because of its ability to evolve fast, have a somehow great movepool, and its good special stats.
    Charizard is good for its movepool, being invulnerable to ground, and HM purposes such as strength or flying.
    venusaur, to me, is the best choice because it learns synthesis, a rare move that recovers your health.
    It also has good STAB moves and a good tm set such as sludge bomb, giga drain, and more.
    also it has many status inducing moves, such as sleep, and poison powder.
    It is the easiest path in the beginning but it gets really hard near the end.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2008
    Bulbasaur is a good pokemon to start with because Brock can get an easy defeat when its at level 10. It can also defeat Misty also if its an Ivysaur. So basicly, Bulbasaur is a good pokemon to start with by defeating the first two gym leaders.

Charmander is a bad pokemon to start with because Brock with defeat it and Misty will defeat it also. The only thing you need to do is evolve Charmander into Charmeleon.

Squirtle is a good pokemon to start with because Brock will get an easy defeat but make sure you catch a Pikachu or any other Grass type pokemon to defeat Misty.

Zimvee

ROCK AND ROOOLL!
    Years
  • good choice with the charmander as there arn't any good common fire types and water pokemon are everywhere and all the grass pokemon in the game are poison (except tangella) which means sabrina will own you

TheDeadpool

My common sense is tingling!
    Years
  • charmander is a fine choice, even if u dont catch a mankey. (Charmander learns metal claw at lv 12 in FR/LG).

i think u should just go with what looks cooler...

A lizard, Chameloen, Dragon

a turtle... turtle... turtle...

or a dinosaur dinosaur dino with a flower?

all a matter of opinion.

personally heres how i look at it.

Charmander- better stats, moderate move pool and a good type in its final stage (flying fire)

Squirtle- An excellent move pool, but he lacks the stats to back it up.

Bulbasaur- brillinant stats, moderate low move pool, and doesnt do well in the E4...

i always choose bulbasaur, but for a beginner id go with ur original choice of charmander.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2009
    For me it's like this:

Charmander > Bulbasaur > Squirtle

I like Vensaur and Charizard they are really good in the games. Blastoise is OK he just has a problem surviving which is why I prefer Charizard and Venusaur. In LG I always use Venusaur and in FR I always use Charizard

Houndoom666

I like mah teem rite nowz. ^.^
    Years
  • Yeah and also, Blastoise trains a little too fast for me. I always go with Charmander in fire red, and Bulbasaur in Leaf Green. ^^

Valarauca

I > U for all real values of U
    Years
  • chammander it learns metal claw so cheap to take down brock but i love it!

Anyways i rushed in leaf green to get the pokes i needed to complete my firered dex (on loan from a freind 48hrs), I used one poke for every battle it was charmmander/charmeleon/charizard

Years
  • I would recommend Bulbasaur, and I have many valid points why. However, I will just explain something; on my team:

Venasaur - Grass-type (Starter) (Grass is a Starter Type)
    Arcanine - Fire-type (Fire is a Starter Type)
    Gyradaos - Water-type (Water is a Starter Type)
    Pidgeot - Flying-type (Good stats, essential for Fly, etc)
    Raichu - Thunder-type (Good stats)
    Rhydon - Ground-type (Incredible stats)

I always have a Fire, Water, Grass and Flying in my team. Venasaur is good for the first two gyms, then use a random Pokémon for the 3rd, and your Flying-type for the 4th gym. Sometimes, I replace why Ground-type with a Ghost-type (Gastly), which you might want to do for the 5th Gym. Rest of the gyms are easy, I guess. It is easy to have a journey with a Venasaur as long as you know where to get what. You can have a fun adventure without any of this struggling to do gyms/the Elite Four.

NatureKeeper

@asker of this thread: You had a very wrong idea. believe me, charizard is the HARDEST to play with. He's a bit fun but i recommend highly to find a way to get the other two starters. I don't say : 'Charizard ? that crap pokemon?' I said he's just a bit dragonish and have a strange move set.

@Munchlax Fan:Gyrados is a VERY weak idea. One thunder attack can send him in the air and rayquaza sees him pass beside sky pillar. I suggest golduck for example?

Last edited:
    Back