• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who was the best rival?

Clouddyl

Playing battle tower doubles!
Years
  • I think probably the G/S/C guy, although I prefered his personality before he turned around, he was like a TR member only much more badass, I mean, he's the only person in all of the games to use physical violence against you unless I'm mistaken xD

Also, I love your sig Sparkle :D

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    4th gens rival was really cool if you ask me, bar the ridiculous haircut. I especially liked how he just bolted out to his Lake without any questions. GSC Rival was probably the best, but that's probably just me remembering the old times.

Armaina

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • The G/S/C rival was by far my fave, as other have mentioned before, he has a lot of development in the game and is actually interesting. And the fact that he stole his first pokémon really makes him stand out next to the rest of the rivals.

Gary comes in after him though, kind of annoying, but it was kind of made up for it in G/S/C when he became a gym leader. Honestly, this was the only time we ever saw any development in his character.

R/S/E's Rival? I just wasn't feeling it that game, felt really tacked on.

DP had.. 3 rivals? Your opposite gender counterpart, Wally, and uh.. that one other kid >_> forgot the name. The 'assistant' wasn't much of a rival, you didn't really fight him much and he wasn't even that hard. Wally well.. you more 'trained' him than really rivaled against him, and the other guy, well I liked his personality at least but I don't recall him being a real challenge.

Years
  • Armaina DP had.. 3 rivals?

eh if you mean dawn or lucas there not really rivals I don't even think you battle them (I havent completed pearl yet I got it at christmas along with fire emblem and ffiv so ive been playing them simultaneously) the guy with blonde hair, stripy shirt and green scarf I thought was the rival and isn't wally in r/s/e. Sorry if i'm wrong and my useless spelling.

Last edited:

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    My favorite is Gary.
    I like how he's always one step ahead of you, no matter how you hard you try.
    And he, along with Silver, is probably the only rival that even acts like one.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    The guy with the big red hair in GSC. He was rude and had red hair!

Peanut_Butters

...I hate peanut butter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2009
    I like them all.

But I really like Pearl.
    Not just because of his personality.

His crave to become the best Pokemon trainer ever,it's amazing. He even has the highest leveled Pokemon in any of the games..Well,other then you.

Silver was nice and all,his aloof personality is pretty..Nice.
    Blue..I have no comment on Blue.
    Brendan and May are not rivals,they don't act like them. Wally is more of a rival.

Colossal

Pwnage
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2009
    G/S/C rival just due to the fact that he steals his starter, pushes you out of the way, treats his (sort-of starter) pokemon real bad at the beginning and by the end he treats you and his pokemon nicely. Also, the fact that he might be Giovanni's son and was the rival in the most awesomest reason.

R/B/Y/LG/FR is my second favourite just due to the fact that you actually get beaten to something instead of 'Final battle at blah then thats it or battle them at blah every Monday, Friday etc.') Also, his cocky atitude was annoying and funny at the same time. The fact he was the rival in the first game and in my second favourite region also made me like him more.

I dislike the R/S/E one because all they do is give out items and dont battle you much. I also dont like the P/D/PL rival because he annoyed me like hell. 'I owe you 10000000 pokes' *shudders.*
    Basically, all I've said people have said it already XD

.FoX.

Blaine's Succesor
    Years
  • Gary is the best rival. Through the entire game he is always one step ahead of you. Out of all the Pokemon League Champions, he has the highest level pokemon.

RaikaCastillo

Spark Javelin!!!
    Years
  • I think that the GSC Rival was the best because he was the most dynamic. The others just stayed the same throughout. Gary stayed arrogant, the RSE rivals stayed overfriendly, and the D/P/P rival stayed hotheaded and hyperactive.

The G/S/C Rival, however, actually changed. He started out as being a selfish little brat who was angry at the world but after being beaten over and over, he began to try and turn over a new leaf. In fact, when he was training in the Dragon Cave, he even refused to fight you because he was working on training his Pokemon.

nakoma

gothic pokemon person
    Years
  • Silver was my favorite rival because as mentioned all ready he is not your friend he is pretty mysterious and it develops the story better. The fights you have with him where some of the hardest i had when fighting a rival with blue coming in second. hoenn and sinnoh's rival battles where pretty easy.

EnteiFirecracker

maybe i'm in love
    Years
  • Silver (G/S/C Rival). Mainly all the resons have been said except for my favorite quality of his - his bright red hair :) The fact that he stole the starter made the story start off on an epic foot. And the fact that during the storyline you see him better himself and become nicer; well that's brilliant.

Back