• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
  • People didnt. like changes :\ I didnt know what you guys expected the pokemon for the 3rd generation looked like. Im being kinda bias right now, but the 3rd generation pokemon were the most creative. From typing, to naming, to designs. Many people stopped complaining about them now because most of them are awesome in battle.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Lets face it, compared to 5th gen, all the Hoenn pokemon look 'original' They also had some of my favourite pokemon in there, Blaziken, Salamence, Flygon etc. And the region is easy the best looking one I think, I mean come on, who wouldn't want to live there!?

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I didn't really like it because of the graphics

I mean lets face it FR and LG owned the graphics section in the 3rd gen games

but R/S/E it did have a good storyline and some awesome pokemon
    the dive feature was something new although its sad they took away the d/n system.

Phantoon14

Actions Define Users
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2011
    I think it's hated because of the difficulty of the game was such a breeze it made most of the Pokemon look horrible.

Kendosis

Gym Leader
    Years
  • Hoenn had some of the best pokemon designs, I'm sure once its remade for DS a lot more people will start to take interest in it.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • At the time Hoenn was released, fans were so used to the simplicity of the first two generations of Pokémon that the change the third generation did with Hoenn's Pokémon was dramatic. They Pokémon were slightly more complex, the colors were more defined and the graphics were enhanced. To put it simply, it was different and the fans didn't expect that.

The downside a lot of people saw weren't really in the Pokémon themselves, but the fact that they had no reversible connection with RBGY or GSC. They were cut off from the past two generation with only a limited set of the older generation's Pokémon.

Personally, I think Hoenn introduced some of the best Pokémon we have now. To me, they were more original in design compared to those in Kanto or Johto - which were a bit too simple for my tastes while at the same time too closely related to their real life origins.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think Hoenn introduced some of the best Pokémon and alot of my favourites are from Hoenn!
    I'd love a remake so we could actually play through a storyline with the Hoenn Pokémon but updated with the Special/Phsical split, EV'S ect.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
  • I never hated the Hoenn region, but if it had anything to do with enhanced graphics....then those people aren't very bright.

I'd have to say the biggest thing was no backwards compatibility, which has been mentioned several times. That's pretty sad, too. Because if you take the time to appreciate all the things that the 3rd gen introduced, it's really pretty impressive.

Years
  • I like most of the Hoenn Pokémon, but I have to admit that this generation's lineup was where some of the bad designs, that have spread rapidly across the fourth and fifth generation, started to show up. I mean seriously, Probopass? Hoenn has a great roster all in all, I especially like some of the cute and quirky designs. Mawile is a favourite.

Rensider

Do as the Snamor do.
    Years
  • People seem to hate them because their desings were uncreative, I disagree. I loved all the Hoenn Pokémon. Their designs were great. Some might say they had awful stats. Me, I don't care about stats. Point is, I love the Hoenn region. And if people don't like it, that's fine with me. As long as it's not for some ridiculous reason like 'I didn't like the graphics' or 'The map was awful'.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't understand the great dislike of Hoenn, the music was catchy and memorable. (I spent the other day listening to the music on youtube) The locations were bright and welcoming. The seaside style was a refreshing change to the lack of water in the previous two regions. The pokemon were quirky and interesting. What's not to love?

As for Hoenn pokemon designs not being creative, I disagree completely. It's easily the most creative region for pokemon as I see it. (Although Unova is also very creative)

Hoenn is my favourite region, although Unova might topple it soon. Hoenn & Unova have some of my favourite pokemon in them. :)

Having said that, I see a lot of people come to Hoenn's defence....so maybe it's not so disliked after all? I think the only good reason people have for disliking it is the absence of the day/night cycle and you couldn't import pokemon from Gold/Silver. If you look past that though, the third gen games are very strong and the adventure was just as good as previous gens.

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I actually loved everything about Hoenn, the Pokemon, the Evil Teams, the Gym Leaders & Elite 4. The only flaw I hated about Hoenn was the fact you had to have a HM slave with you all the freakin' time v_v Victory road was a right pain.

OH AND KECLEONS. I HATE THEM LIL' GREEN FREAKS.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2011
    I always loved the Hoenn Pokes!
    the ones i though weren't the best were the D/P ones

Cyndaquil312

It's been 7 years... but i've returned once more.
    Years
  • I personally thought That the designs of many of the 3rd gen Pokemon, were a bit out there but interesting all the same. I could have done without a few of them *cough* Sableye and Chimecho *cough*. but I love having huge cool looking Pokemon on my team, and Pokemon such as Aggron, Flygon, and Salamance, became quick favorites. I also got a good laugh, (and still do) at ones like Exploud and Claydol. as for the Legendary Pokemon, I thought they were some of the best designs to date, primarily Raquaza, Groudon, and Kyogre. over all, I think 3rd Generation is second best only to the Originals.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • You say people hate the Hoenn Pokemon. But where did Aggron, Salamence, Flygon, Metagross, Rayquaza, and Groudon come from? Not to mention a very effective wall, Cradily, and a good tank, Swampert? The fastest Subseeder in UU, Sceptile? A lot of good pokemon come from the Hoenn Region.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Exactly. I'm sure I've probably posted on this thread, but you've got to admit, Hoenn pokémon were the most exotic, and that was good - another bunch similar to the Kanto / Johto pokémon would've been boring, not to mention it wouldn't make sense, as Hoenn's quite a bit away from those regions.

And c'mon, you've got to admit Kecleon's cool. I watched a show called "Madagascar", and the lizards on there would've terrified me if it wasn't that they looked like two Kecleon fighting (one even looked like it used Lick to get a fly to eat). And Grumpig? Psychic pork chops? Brilliant. Not to mention the starters which, apart from Blaziken's slightly odd headdress, are all equally cool. So much that I still like Blaziken despite the headdress thing.

Future_Chaos

Obsessed with Eelektross
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Hoenn has some of the best Pokemon, imo. Flygon, all the legendaries, Metagross, Blaziken, MUDKIP, Swampert, Sceptile, Salamence, Absol, Mightyena, and more.

Hoenn needs more love. ;-;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back