• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why doesn't anybody like Hoenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
  • its just a odd region. the pokemon are there are just boring.

it wasnt as fun as the others

I don't see how the Pokemon were boring, you had like Metagross some 4 legged metal guy who was ultra strong but you think that's more boring than a Seal called Seel

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • I don't see how the Pokemon were boring, you had like Metagross some 4 legged metal guy who was ultra strong but you think that's more boring than a Seal called Seel

To hell with that statement! Not to mention that it's unfair to compare a basic Pokemon with a 3rd stage one.

Seel>Metagross.

xSeduction

Water Pokemon Fanatic
    Years
  • I don't see how the Pokemon were boring, you had like Metagross some 4 legged metal guy who was ultra strong but you think that's more boring than a Seal called Seel

Oh please. Seel was adorable, and you know it. And personally, I liked how the older pokemon had names that actually fit how they looked physically. Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur. They were all dinasaurs. Seel = Seal. Etc.
    Nowadays all you get is random names that are hard to pronounce.

This may come as a shock, but not everyone has the same opinion as you.

BAHAH. High five! ..No? Okay.. -Slinks back to my corner.-

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It's probably how generations I and II were linked together so closely. Generation III, Hōen, is very much removed from that — being an entirely different setting for the first time. Presumably it just made everyone go "wtf where're the other regions?" and automatically dislike it for missing the regions and things like time of day out. I was personally disappointed solely for those two reasons.

This may come as a shock, but not everyone has the same opinion as you.
    The question is why it's particularly unpopular. If some people dislike something, and they will, it's all fair do's and nothing can be made of it — this is the situation your post would be relevant to; but when something is clearly disliked by the majority, as Hōen is, something is up and it should be reasonable to appeal said majority for reason.

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
  • I think the pokemon weren't as odd as Gen IV pokemon. But the reason I really don't like hoenn is because it really seemed like a filler game. Just a game with some new features but nothing mind blowing. The one thing it did introduce that I think is cool is the whole trainer-throws-pokeball-into-battle feature. That was definitely a plus. But uhh yeah it just seemed like a straightforward game. No surprising features and no end-game.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • I'm sure there are many people who like Hoenn, though I personally don't. Maybe it's because I grew up on R/B/Y and in my heart there are still only 151 Pokemon. Though that isn't totally true, because Johto was my favorite region. <3

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Everywhere I go, youtube, school, even here sometimes people say hoenn was terrible... Why?! I absolutely loved it!

This is because most people get annoyed with the huge amount of water, and with it the huge encounter rate. They also get bored when they see Tentacool and Magikarp a lot.
    That must be the reason.

But I'm on your side. I absolutely loved it!
    Each Pokemon game has its own "feel" to it, from which most of it are unique to a single game.
    That's what makes each game special to me.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Oh please. Seel was adorable, and you know it. And personally, I liked how the older pokemon had names that actually fit how they looked physically. Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur. They were all dinasaurs. Seel = Seal. Etc.

I loved Seel but I was just trying to prove how hypocritical people can get about it.

Years
  • Seel is actually cute. Whismur, on the other hand, looks like somebody painted a pile of poo and tried passing it off as a Pokemon.

It's not that I don't like Hoenn, it's just I like the other regions better.

Don't flame me for my remarks.

NatureKeeper

Whazzma?! Hoenn is boring?! Go! Rayquaza!, do some damage to the posts who said so!

Hoenn had more mysteries to solve, a LEGENDARY STORYLINE('compared to Kanto and Johto)!

What about Blaziken? That guy who beat Charizard in the anime whilist Charizard had a resistance to him by two moves!

Torchic is the cutest starter of all, as mentioned by Amity Square DP, before they implemented the full set of Sinnoh Starters in Amity Square Pl. OH! So cute ! :) And in *drumroll* HOENN!

Salamence!
    Keckleon!
    Metagross!
    Groudon!
    Kyogre!
    The Regitrio!
    Rayquaza!
    Deoxys
    Jirachi!
    Chemicho!

These all debuted in the hoenn dex!

So? Whatcha thinkin'?

Last edited:

thorn96

Fool! I am the weasel!
    Years
  • I liked Hoenn. But it didn't beat the other games in any way. I mean, the GBA was capable of so much more than what R/S/E had to offer, and some of the Pokemon were.. strange. Like Mawile. *shudder* They were still great games, but they just felt too different to the series.

I liked how the older pokemon had names that actually fit how they looked physically. Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur. They were all dinasaurs. Seel = Seal. Etc.

Right... we only get random names in the more recent games... huh.
    <cough>Pikachu<cough>Fearow<cough>Arbok<cough>

I can go on. :badsmile:

NatureKeeper

I liked Hoenn. But it didn't beat the other games in any way. I mean, the GBA was capable of so much more than what R/S/E had to offer, and some of the Pokemon were.. strange. Like Mawile. *shudder* They were still great games, but they just felt too different to the series.

Right... we only get random names in the more recent games... huh.
    <cough>Pikachu<cough>Fearow<cough>Arbok<cough>

I can go on. :badsmile:

How?

Torchic: Torch+Chick

Combusken: Combustion + Ken, I feel it karate-ish somehow

Blaziken= Blazing + Ken

Shall I go on?

And Pikachu: Pika 'Japanese for Electric'+ Chu 'Japanese for Mouse)

Fearow: Fear+ Sparrow

Arbok's totally random, I know.

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
  • Actually the more the serie go on the less good it is.. and you're right with the fact that we may be growing up and we don't like the newest as much. Kanto and johto were so good :)

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    Seel is actually cute. Whismur, on the other hand, looks like somebody painted a pile of poo and tried passing it off as a Pokemon.

It's not that I don't like Hoenn, it's just I like the other regions better.

Don't flame me for my remarks.

No one will, you speak the truth.
    I liked quite a lot of the pokemon in Hoenn, but some where a little stupid, such as the painted poo, flygon (a good pokemon but a ridiculous name and look IMO) and an alien that looks like it has actually seen skitty on wailord action.

I liked the fact that most of hoenn was so diverse with its rainforests and volcanoes, but the large quantity of water annoyed me because of its lack of distinction. The water was boring and jellyfish infested, and i dont like jellyfish, they are scary and stingy.

I dont like hoenn as much as i like sinnoh or johto, but it was a very good standalone game and has a very unique feel to it which sets it apart from all the others. I think that may be why some people dont like it.

The main problem i have wth RSE is its main theme and the route themes that sound really similar to it. I just hate it compared to other games.

Years
  • How?

Torchic: Torch+Chick

Combusken: Combustion + Ken, I feel it karate-ish somehow

Blaziken= Blazing + Ken

Shall I go on?

And Pikachu: Pika 'Japanese for Electric'+ Chu 'Japanese for Mouse)

Fearow: Fear+ Sparrow

Arbok's totally random, I know.

Arbok is kobra (cobra) backwards. XD

Ekans is Snake backwards.

How did they come up with the name Numel? I just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Salamence, Metagross, and Walrein. But I don't like these: Deoxys, Whismur, Makuhita. Makuhita reminds me of the Macarena. Some of them appeared useless to me: Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Roselia (before they gave it an evo and pre-evo).

I think the reason why I didn't like Hoenn as much was because the organizations just didn't seem as evil as Team Rocket. I liked Sapphire better than Ruby. I just didn't like the Battle Frontier or contests. (I like the Sinnoh Frontier and Contests better.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back