• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why doesn't anybody like Hoenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    Hoenn was ok mostly I disliked Hoenn because of manly most of the pokemon that it introduced.

TheUltimat

リザードン
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    To be honest (feel free to correct me if you disagree), I think that it's not that people didn't like Hoenn, it's just that people preferred Johto and Kanto.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think the pokemon weren't as odd as Gen IV pokemon. But the reason I really don't like hoenn is because it really seemed like a filler game. Just a game with some new features but nothing mind blowing. The one thing it did introduce that I think is cool is the whole trainer-throws-pokeball-into-battle feature. That was definitely a plus. But uhh yeah it just seemed like a straightforward game. No surprising features and no end-game.

Um. Hello? Double battles anyone? Contests? Battle Frontier? Abilities? Natures? The 3rd generation reshaped the entire battling process.

Anyway, after Yellow (which I lost and was too young to comprehend), I stuck with the anime, TCG, and N64 games until Ruby and Sapphire came out. That's what got me back into the handheld games, so no, I do not hate Hoenn, nor do I hate any region. Every generation has something you like and something you don't like. It happens, and if you can't take it in a game, have fun taking it when it's something in the real world.

It's not the people hate Hoenn, or dislike it. It's just that every other generation was better.

With that also in mind, RSE had some big shoes to fill in following GSC.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    I can adimt to that sentiment, SilverSmeagle, because at first the games felt like a downgrade from GSC . But as I played through it, I loved Aron's line, Mudkip's line and Torchic's line. Zizzagoon was pretty adorable , and Poochyena was just a great staple along with Seedot's line, Electrike's line and Lotad's line. I was just disappointed by Taillow's evolution line because I imagined that an evolution after Swellow would've been epic because the final could've been based on a Condor.

Genetics

......................... .
    Years
  • Hoenn was okay diddn't really like the legendary trio in hoenn but I have no huge complaints against it since it gave us salamance and metagross.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2020
    R/S/E was the last generation I played. That made me dislike Hoenn, as Emerald is inferior to Pearl for me. Most of the pokemon like Makuhita and Whismur are just really crappy. Ralts is one of the few 3rd generation Pokemon worth catching early on. It takes a while to get ones worth training like Trapinch and Bagon.

Most generation 3 pokemon are rip-offs of others. Gulpin, Spheal, etc. They just tried adding too much variety and ended up with rubbish ones like Volbeat and Carvanha.

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    I played Ruby so much I eventually got bored of Hoen. Eh.
    I like Kanto and Sinnoh more.

MewMewXX

|| Tohru || Pokemon ||
    Years
  • I loved Hoenn too. The one I didn't like much was Johto; it was kind of a let-down after Kanto. R/B/Y were AWESOME!! =D

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I loved Hoenn too. The one I didn't like much was Johto; it was kind of a let-down after Kanto. R/B/Y were AWESOME!! =D

Wow. That's definitely a first. Here's to you for being very, very different, mon ami.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I loved Hoenn too. The one I didn't like much was Johto; it was kind of a let-down after Kanto. R/B/Y were AWESOME!! =D

I second that. D:

Hoenn is my favorite region, as well as my favorite series of the anime so far.

Johto was a let down, to me.

The games didn't hold my interest like I hoped, and the anime I found to be boring, so I didn't watch it much. This is why I'm really hoping HG/SS will change my mind about Johto. Maybe with a graphics upgrade, and my first real play through in eight years, I'll like it more.

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
  • I think the Hoenn region was great. ^^

Probably the reason why there are a lot of people who don't like it is because there just wasn't an incredibly good selection of awesome pokemon to get early in the game and train up for the Elite 4. Like, all you can get is Shroomish and Surskit and Poochyena and Electrike....but I thought that made it more challenging.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Probably the reason why there are a lot of people who don't like it is because there just wasn't an incredibly good selection of awesome pokemon to get early in the game and train up for the Elite 4. Like, all you can get is Shroomish and Surskit and Poochyena and Electrike....but I thought that made it more challenging.

I thought so too, actually. And Trapinch isn't that far off in the game. You can get him before the 5th gym, and that's good enough for me. -shrug- Bagon being after the 8th gym is a pain, but still, a great Pokemon like Salamence? I can wait for that power.

Years
  • So.....the one game with more Special Fetures than a Robot Chicken DVD gets no credit? Yeah. I'm devastated.

Anyway, I loved Emerald, so Hoenn Region was awesome. Though.....Johto wasn't that bad. I loved Crystal personally, but, and I re-quote this post:

This may come as a shock, but not everyone has the same opinion as you.

So...get over it, I say.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    gold and silver had 2 regions, and r/s had one and the pokemon were kinda gay (some) and apricorns were replaced with berrys when i just liked the psncureberry and iceberry when the names decribed the berry now the berrys are confusing. but i think the 4th generation pokemon are pushing the coolness of pokemon. i only like pokemon from I-II generations. after that it got dumb. "too much of a good thing isnt good all the time". i would play heartgold if it only had the first 2 gen pokemon

FFX383

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I loved Hoenn. It had the best music and the atmosphere was really summery in my opinion so it just made me happy playing it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back