• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Mario Kart 7 is definitely worth it. It's way better than any of the console MK games. Also you missed Mario Kart DS, the best one.

And man no new characters? I want my Cranky Kong and Lord Frederik.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • So my Persona 4 theory? Yeah, this thing ->
    Yeah, though I wouldn't be surprised if they did make P4 a Classic, what with all of the recent P3/P4 pushing they've been doing. Though I feel that if they weren't going to do it, it'd probably be because they want to drive the sales of the Vita and Persona 4 Golden. After all, they basically made Persona 4 The Animation and Persona 4 Arena as a means of raising awareness as to what Persona 4 is, and given the fact that Persona 3 FES is all of $5 on PSN, I'm not too surprised that it's not a PS2 Classic.

Not that it's too much of a loss. As much as I like the original, the new one is a lot better, and though I miss old Chie's voice (not saying her new voice is bad, they actually both fit her character really well, though in very different ways) and the original ending theme there's just too much added to not make me recommend it over the original. Plus, it has Vita TV support, so if it doesn't fail people can play it as if it were a Console game (which, from a new consumer standpoint, would effectively make the original obsolete).

...But I'm pretty sure they haven't made it a classic for the sake of sales. Golden is the more expensive option, and they don't want people choosing the original as an alternative to buying a Vita and getting Golden (or just getting Golden).
    Apparently completely wrong. They announced the PS2 classic for PSN. It's a shame, because, a week before the announcement, I bought the PS2 version (since I regret selling it back in 08). I'd already beaten the original P4 before, but considering it's one of my favorite games, I needed to have it physically, so really it doesn't affect me too much, but the timing of it all is still jarring..

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • So my Persona 4 theory? Yeah, this thing ->

Apparently completely wrong. They announced the PS2 classic for PSN. It's a shame, because, a week before the announcement, I bought the PS2 version (since I regret selling it back in 08). I'd already beaten the original P4 before, but considering it's one of my favorite games, I needed to have it physically, so really it doesn't affect me too much, but the timing of it all is still jarring..
    Atlus wants money, people give them, it's easy.
    I won't buy it because it doesn't have JP voice acting but I'm pretty sure Atlus will get another great funding =D

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Finally. Now I won't have to play it on an emulator. I've been wanting to play P4 since it came out but I wasn't able to find it anywhere.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Finally. Now I won't have to play it on an emulator. I've been wanting to play P4 since it came out but I wasn't able to find it anywhere.
    You're not a fan of emulators? Since I got PCSX2, I almost exclusively play my PS2 games on the PC, solely for the benefits of upscaling and other graphical enhancements, but I think those enhancements as well as the customization of it all makes emulating PS2 (and GC/Wii games) worth it.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • It's completely a novelty thing. Unless you're that anal over the voices of Chie and Teddie (which are pretty darn good), there's not much reason to get the original, but it is the game that got me into Shin Megami Tensei in the larger scheme. So I thought, since I like it so much, I might as well own the physical copy of the game that I regretted selling in the first place.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    ...And?

Why does that matter? Persona 4's english voices are very, very good. Better than the Japanese voices if you ask me.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I never understood people complaining when games don't have the option for Japanese voices. Honestly, even if a dub is bad, I'd rather hear the dialogue in a language I can understand than in Japanese.

...yet I don't mind subbed anime. Yeah, I don't know either.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I understand Japanese but I still prefer the English dubs for the most part.

Japanese voice actors just come across as TOO enthusiastic.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024

Couldn't agree with this more. Probably why I'm not a big fan of subbed anime or Japanese only games.

You're not a fan of emulators? Since I got PCSX2, I almost exclusively play my PS2 games on the PC, solely for the benefits of upscaling and other graphical enhancements, but I think those enhancements as well as the customization of it all makes emulating PS2 (and GC/Wii games) worth it.

I like emulators, but only for GBA/SNES/NES/ and other older consoles. I have a hard time configuring controls and such with PCSX2 and I had other graphical errors as well.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I never understood people complaining when games don't have the option for Japanese voices. Honestly, even if a dub is bad, I'd rather hear the dialogue in a language I can understand than in Japanese.

...yet I don't mind subbed anime. Yeah, I don't know either.
    Well, I'd say it's just as much a matter of preference as wanting to watch English, especially in games where there is usually already text or subtitles. I mean, it does bother me when people say "dubs suck, subs are the only way to go" because I feel that it's mostly an ignorant thing to say, generally because people base their opinions on the one anime they watched in English or the one game that was badly translated back in the 90s, where there was a lower precedent for well voiced games/anime...or they heard Fuuka from Persona 3 and immediately wished the evoker was a real gun.

At the same time, I understand why. It's rare that you'll come across a bad Japanese VA and they hardly reuse actors in the same show/game. Plus, in the case of modern games, there's lip syncing.

In my case, I'm a dub and sub guy. I'll take dub when it's available, and sub if it's needed, but in some cases I'll go sub either just because I want to or because it'll breed the better experience.

Years
  • I understand Japanese but I still prefer the English dubs for the most part.

I try to give English dubs the benefit of the doubt in games, compared to anime where I will definitely prefer subs. I know what you mean about some actors being over enthusiastic in their roles and that does creep me out at times XD But whenever a game has the option of choosing between English and Japanese, I often try going through a portion of the game with English voices before deciding which to use throughout the game.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I also think that English voice acting is generally great. Well, English voice acting post-2000, anyway. Don't get why peeps complain about it. The Japanese is not superior. Is it worse? Not really, but it sure isn't better (usually).

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I guess it's for authenticity purposes? I personally find Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3's Japanese voices to be tons better than the English version, but then again, Naruto's English VAs are pretty horrible. It's all opinion, though.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I also think that English voice acting is generally great. Well, English voice acting post-2000, anyway. Don't get why peeps complain about it. The Japanese is not superior. Is it worse? Not really, but it sure isn't better (usually).
    Well...I dunno about that. Whether it's better or worse is subjective, of course, but I think most people would say that the Japanese acting is usually better as a whole. Well, most people that legitimately take English voice acting into consideration. Quality-wise the Japanese track is generally better, largely because there are more people in the business and the voice training is...well, there, so things such as emotion and casual speech often come out more fluidly. Many English VAs don't go through voice training, and those that do often take less involved courses, often getting better as they go along.

For instance, take Erin Fitzgerald as an example. She played as Alkaid in the .Hack//G.U. games, and when she did, it was like grinding against my ears. She overdid the tomboy act and her lines were painfully drawn out, often contrasting with the characters own animations and mannerisms. As a result, when I found out that she was playing Chie in Persona 4 Arena (and later Golden), who is somewhat similar to Alkaid, I was worried that she would be the black sheep in a sea of good voices and that I'd end up disliking Chie as a result, and when I first heard her, I didn't like her. But then I played Golden, and found that she not only grew as an actress, but she also learned to conform to her given role, and I very quickly came to appreciate her. This was the result of the many other jobs she had since G.U.

So while they may initially be "experienced", what I find most interesting about English voice actors is the passion behind them. Dub VAs often have these drives, calling back to childhood memories or seeing characters that they wanted to be, and in a way becoming them. They put themselves into the role because they want to put themselves into the role, and you can feel the passion coming from them when they interact with fans and...well, when they voice act. It inherently makes them better VAs than if they just didn't care, and I think that's pretty darn admirable.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm thinking of moving onto gaming laptops these days. I think I just realized that I do need all that power...

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Why? Travelling purposes?

It's too bad gaming laptops target the lowest common denominator and have very ugly designs.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I can't have no PC, can I? And I need a portable something that can run off batteries - I'll eventually need it for assignments and presentations. I'd prefer to make sure everything is local.

The latest gaming laptops from MSI, Razer, Lenovo, and Toshiba look downright sane. It also helps a lot for Toshiba if you stretch the definition for a gaming laptop, since then besides their Qosmio line, the Satellite P line also gets in, and these are standard laptops.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back