• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I got Game & Wario for free as part of the MK8 promotion.

Surprisingly, it's pretty good.
    I'm deciding between Donkey Kong Country Returns and Earthbound, but someone mentioned that Earthbound is only worth $10 on the eShop, while DKCR is worth $30. I think the choice is fairly obvious with that answer. :P

I'll definitely still end up getting Earthbound, but perhaps at a later time!
    I'd just recommend the Wii version. Waggle just takes time to get used, but 30fps for a precision platformer like DKCR will never be a good thing. But considering it's free, might as well. Earthbound is 10$ vs DKCR Wii still being 40$.

And if you liked it enough, definitely get Tropical Freeze. Returns and Tropical Freeze are one of the best platformers of all time.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I'm probably gonna get Game and Wario. Other than being fairly curious about it, it'll net me $5 as a part of the Digital Deluxe Program. Something I can put towards Theatrythm or
    Fantasy Life (or some other random eshop game) :q

Hopefully you enjoy it! I just haven't heard anything good about it if you can't play with friends. :( I need ONE point to get my $5 Digital Deluxe Credit! So whatever I buy will net me that awesome $5.

I got Game & Wario for free as part of the MK8 promotion.

Surprisingly, it's pretty good.

I'd just recommend the Wii version. Waggle just takes time to get used, but 30fps for a precision platformer like DKCR will never be a good thing. But considering it's free, might as well. Earthbound is 10$ vs DKCR Wii still being 40$.

And if you liked it enough, definitely get Tropical Freeze. Returns and Tropical Freeze are one of the best platformers of all time.

I've only heard bad things about Game & Wario, but at least you're enjoying it. DKCR is only available for the 3DS as a download, not the Wii version it looks like. But yes, I'm very interested in Tropical Freeze. I'm a huge fan of the original three games in the Donkey Kong Country series; the second is one of my all-time favorites.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Majora's Mask is one of my most favorite Zelda games out there (right beside Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time), and seeing a remake for it would be fantastic, undoubtedly. What would be even better is if they could actually make a sequel to it instead, as they have enough things left-over to continue the story. Wouldn't mind if they, somehow, manage to do both--remake first, then sequel.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Majora's Mask is one of my most favorite Zelda games out there (right beside Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time), and seeing a remake for it would be fantastic, undoubtedly. What would be even better is if they could actually make a sequel to it instead, as they have enough things left-over to continue the story. Wouldn't mind if they, somehow, manage to do both--remake first, then sequel.
    They could, but if they did make a sequel, I would want it to be with another Link and not the Hero of Time. If only because they generally stick with the same Link for about 2 games.

...Well, that's not true. They stuck with the Link from Link's Awakening for...what, 4 games? But I don't really see an MM sequel working out. Because at the end of the game, a lot is left uncertain, and everything that happens leaves the player with a feeling of happiness, but at the same time, a bit of sadness and regret for not being able to save everyone and do anything (which is the point of the game in the first place, and it also helps to support a certain role the Hero of Time plays in Twilight Princess). But I think it's that uncertainty and regret that make Majora's Mask work. I don't know if the tone they're trying to present with MM could be captured again, and I think it stands well enough on its own.

...But there is one thing to consider. What is Termina? Does it really exist? Because there are implications that it both does and doesn't, and, I'm just spitballing here, but if it truly is just Link's psyche or, conversely, a place that conforms to the minds of those who enter, then I think it is possible that we could return there someday as a different hero. Whether we should or not, I'm not really sure.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • But does UE4 really matter that much? That's a bit of weak reason for saying Xbone+PS4 > WiiU, imo.
    Considering it's the newest engine, it will surely be very important soon.

Yeah, that's true. But tell me, of the upcoming titles, which ones are making use of Unreal Engine? And of the games that have come out in the last 10 years, which "killer apps" have used the Unreal Engine?
    I don't think there are any that use UE4 now...
    Maybe the new Sony game (the year game) that was announced on E3.

It's not going to be a decisive feature.
    I would actually say it IS going to.
    Not now, but it's going to.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

• Considering it's the newest engine, it will surely be very important soon.

I don't think there are any that use UE4 now...
    Maybe the new Sony game (the year game) that was announced on E3.

I would actually say it IS going to.
    Not now, but it's going to.
    Okay, but let's get general. Of the games considered "the best of the best" last generation, how many of them used the previous Unreal Engine? It wasn't decisive then, either. Most of best games last gen didn't even utilize it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • So I went to work today. Saw this shelf label which has forever changed the course of my life.

Spoiler:

Whaaaaat? I hope this happens

And for Club Nintendo, I'm thinking NES Remix

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I didn't really feel like the Wii was a lesser console for not having any Unreal Engine game. I had a 360 for a reason, anyway, but not really many games that used that engine. Same for PS3.

Can't say I'm a big fan of it either, heh.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Speaking of Ninty, why are people all in a huff over digital gifts in Club Nintendo?

Because people are ridiculous and feel they are entitled to a free statue or valuable gift from Nintendo, despite Nintendo being the only gaming company that offers such a unique and FREE program. It's all free games/free items and yet we complain. I'm satisfied with the Platinum/Gold gifts because I never had a chance at any statues or CDs, since this is my first Club Nintendo year.

I got Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS because it's one I wanted anyway and it was a free ($30-40 valued) game! :)

Years
  • I like free game vouchers. You can't complain too much when you're getting stuff for free and no wonky supscription which means you're paying for it anyway

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Because people are ridiculous and feel they are entitled to a free statue or valuable gift from Nintendo, despite Nintendo being the only gaming company that offers such a unique and FREE program. It's all free games/free items and yet we complain. I'm satisfied with the Platinum/Gold gifts because I never had a chance at any statues or CDs, since this is my first Club Nintendo year.

I got Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS because it's one I wanted anyway and it was a free ($30-40 valued) game! :)
    The biggest issue for me is that it was really neat to have something you couldn't get anywhere else. You felt like you earned something special - even if it was just a cheap little figure or calendar, it was something unique that was unavailable to people that didn't "earn" it. I personally have all my CN calendars since they started offering them, and it's awesome to have all that fantastic artwork and such. And the Nintendo trinkets and memorabilia I've picked up through CN over the years are really neat to have displayed. Whereas this year it's just a small selection of digital games that anyone else has access to, and you really have nothing to show that you earned your Club Nintendo status for the year.

There's also the issue that games are 200/250 coins - such as Paper Mario, a $10 N64 VC game - as regular rewards, and yet for earning 300-600 coins in a whole year you get...an NES or Game Boy game that you probably own already. That's just a slap in the face.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • The biggest issue for me is that it was really neat to have something you couldn't get anywhere else. You felt like you earned something special - even if it was just a cheap little figure or calendar, it was something unique that was unavailable to people that didn't "earn" it. I personally have all my CN calendars since they started offering them, and it's awesome to have all that fantastic artwork and such. And the Nintendo trinkets and memorabilia I've picked up through CN over the years are really neat to have displayed. Whereas this year it's just a small selection of digital games that anyone else has access to, and you really have nothing to show that you earned your Club Nintendo status for the year.

There's also the issue that games are 200/250 coins - such as Paper Mario, a $10 N64 VC game - as regular rewards, and yet for earning 300-600 coins in a whole year you get...an NES or Game Boy game that you probably own already. That's just a slap in the face.

Yeah, I get that perspective on it. I feel satisfied with the choices simply because I got a game I have been wanting. I know some people were hoping for a nice statue or even a CD. I suppose I'd have rather seen Nintendo offer multiple first-party, recent titles up for free, like Game & Wario and Donkey Kong Country Returns, rather than eShop/Club Nintendo games that usually go for 200 coins. I actually bought Metroid for 200 coins recently.

In reality, Nintendo has had a rough year with sales and manufacturing a statue or CD with free shipping might not be possible for them to justify. Downloadable games lets them show the fans they recognize and appreciate their support while also saving them a lot of money. They've also scaled back the Rewards page - offering around five items when there was about twelve previously. I have a feeling next year's gifts will be better, but I'd be happy with more downloadable games, so long as they are more recent and acceptable choices.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I suppose I'd have rather seen Nintendo offer multiple first-party, recent titles up for free, like Game & Wario and Donkey Kong Country Returns, rather than eShop/Club Nintendo games that usually go for 200 coins. I actually bought Metroid for 200 coins recently.

I have the Game & Watch stuff. I think I played it once.

Same with the physical rewards. The hat and little statuette were cool (and I actually much prefer the Coin Block box one of those came in), but... I look it the day I got it and that's about it.

I'll get more use out of a game I think

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I have the Game & Watch stuff. I think I played it once.

Same with the physical rewards. The hat and little statuette were cool (and I actually much prefer the Coin Block box one of those came in), but... I look it the day I got it and that's about it.

I'll get more use out of a game I think

Yeah. I have bought several Collector's Edition copies of games never to look at any of the trinkets they put in the box. It'd be better if I actually displayed the items, but I know I won't/I know I don't have the room. I'm playing the game I got for free currently and enjoying it, so I know I'm getting a bit more value from it than a CD or something. I would've liked the statue though, I think.

I got Sonic 06!

And even after 55 episodes of Game Grumps playing it, I...I just...

...It's something you have to play to believe. It's far worse than what you can just watch.

I'll pass! I heard it was bad, but wished it wasn't. I had hoped, back then, that it would be a revival of the fantastic Sonic Adventures/Heroes series, but...

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I managed to beat Sonic 06. Never again. Sonic Team was so bad back then.

It took them until Sonic Colors to finally make a good 3D Sonic game (granted, the Day levels in Unleashed are pretty good), and Generations was equally fantastic. Then Lost Worlds happened and it's...OK, I guess.
    I have no idea why they got rid of the boost formula. It was perfect for Sonic. Parkour is OK...I guess it has potential. Let's not go back to the Adventure formula, ever.

The pokecapn LP of Sonic 06 is worth it though. Everyone should watch it lol.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Guys my computer has started to randomly crash 1-2 times a day. Do I do the responsible thing and divert my Wii U fund into a new computer fund or do I do the irresponsible thing and buy a Wii U tonight like planned :(

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Guys my computer has started to randomly crash 1-2 times a day. Do I do the responsible thing and divert my Wii U fund into a new computer fund or do I do the irresponsible thing and buy a Wii U tonight like planned :(
    Why don't you do both irresponsible and responsible thing by purchasing a PC and start playing on it?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back