• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • I don't really care about the Amiibos (which, really, Amiigos would be a better name). I don't know their functional purpose yet.

Maybe they'll be a physical way of selling DLC? I'd be interested a bit in that. Get a free figure from a DLC purchase?
    See, that's what I thought at first, but after it was explained a bit, I realized that this concept is actually based off of an arcade idea in Japan.

It's a pretty cool idea. Essentially, the Amiibos are basically your own personal characters that have stored memory. What their function is depends on the game. They could be fighters that, through continual play, become stronger. They can be short assists. They can be for whatever the game calls for. But that data that is stored in the figure can be used in other games that support it. Every amiibo is unique.

the amiibo is able to store data, and within the full data set you have this much data which is reserved for Smash Bros. But then you have a subset of data that says this is the Mario figure. Smash Bros will use the big chunk of data in the Smash Bros. amiibo, but the other games are able to read that this is a Mario figure through this other set of data that identifies the character, and that is how the characters are able to interact with the Mario amiibo.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/12/e3-2014-nintendo-on-amiibo-smash-bros-and-custom-figurines

But, depending on how its utilized, it could turn out to be pretty cool. I didn't care about it initially- and still don't much- but there are in immense amount of possibilities that could make it an enticing idea. It all depends on execution, though.

Sorry if I didn't give too much of the best explanation, not feeling very punctual right now. I didn't even really explain the arcade example at all -_-

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Amiibo support in Smash is too boring at this point to justify it, but hell, with the advertising and good word Nintendo is getting that thing's gonna make em some serious bank this Christmas, mark my words. I think Captain Toad is going to have better implementation of it, maybe offering new levels.

Platina Berlitz

Pure bliss
    Years
  • I think I'd just purchace the figures for show. Haha.. I really had to stop myself from picking up some of the Disney Infinity characters. A lot of this stuff is wanting me to get a Wii-U, as I haven't owned a Nintendo Console since Gamecube

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Whoo my Wii U came in! Of course yesterday I was too busy to actually get started on playing it so it has to wait until 5 or so tonight when I get home to wait for my new couch.

I don't have a TV so when it told me it had to hook up somewhere to read symbols I was miserable but then I just guessed for half an hour (nothing to lose there) and eventually figured it out. B)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Whoo my Wii U came in! Of course yesterday I was too busy to actually get started on playing it so it has to wait until 5 or so tonight when I get home to wait for my new couch.

I don't have a TV so when it told me it had to hook up somewhere to read symbols I was miserable but then I just guessed for half an hour (nothing to lose there) and eventually figured it out. B)

You don't have a TV? Going to play exclusively on the gamepad then?

What games do you have?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    You don't have a TV? Going to play exclusively on the gamepad then?

What games do you have?

All I have is Mario Kart, Wind Waker, and Nintendoland. I'll have a TV in like 2 weeks though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Does the console just look like a regular Wii? I honestly have no real knowledge on the matter.

This is how it works basically, after initial setup: you have the console plugged in wherever, with whatever game you want in it. You turn on the console via the gamepad and it gives you the menu, you pick the game from it, and then the game shows up on the gamepad.

I'm sure I'll want a TV eventually but playing it like a handheld suits my purposes and I'm in love with Mario Kart. Even though I suck at it.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • Does the console just look like a regular Wii? I honestly have no real knowledge on the matter.

You couldn't really blame yourself on the matter. One of the main reasons the Wii U is doing poorly, is because of their poor marketing. Everyone thought it was a peripheral, when it was announced.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Yeah. They honestly should have chosen a name that was NOT "Wii".

Nintendo X, Nintendo Revolution (Wii's original name), iNintendo, anything but calling it Wii U and not showcasing it as a whole new system. Bad marketing at first, but things are picking up for them. A string of solid hits and they should be doing better.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I'm not sure why that's he case though. Although it is.

Four Playstations have done well. All the Game Boys before. The 3DS now too

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Because Playstation 2, 3, 4 all show succession.

Wii to Wii U does not. When they've branded many of their items, Wii FIT, Wii MOTIONPLUS, Wii NUNCHUCK, Wii etc. The Wii U simply seems like an extension/addition for your Wii console.

Playstation 3 Slim Edition. Xbox 360 Slim (or whatever they call the sleek black one). Wii U.

It's bad marketing and bad branding. Wii 2 would have probably saved them much of their hassle, but the library still needs some padding to truly be fantastic and get people buying it.

That said, I still love my Wii U and consider it a great purchase. I've enjoyed the limited games that I have for it so far and there are many others I still want to buy. :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    But Xbox One doesn't, and that's more of a comparison to Wii U than PS3 and X360.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • But Xbox One doesn't, and that's more of a comparison to Wii U than PS3 and X360.

Xbox One may suffer the same issue that the Wii U has in that unconventional/"clever" names do not work well with the average consumer. As far as I know, the system is suffering from stagnating sales.

Wii U is that the console is for YOU.
    Xbox One is that it's an all-in-ONE entertainment system.

Playstation 4 seems to be the one making the biggest dent in sales. I dunno if the successional naming is helping to contribute to that, but I feel that it is.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Nintendo > Super Nintendo > Nintendo 64 > GameCube > Wii > Wii U

Except for perhaps Super, Nintendo hasn't really had a successional naming convention.

NES > SNES and GB > GBA is probably about the same in terms of naming.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Nintendo > Super Nintendo > Nintendo 64 > GameCube > Wii > Wii U

Except for perhaps Super, Nintendo hasn't really had a successional naming convention.

NES > SNES and GB > GBA is probably about the same in terms of naming.

Which is why, I feel, the Wii U has had a hard time making a "name" for itself.

All Nintendo systems have had unique names, aside from their handhelds (with exception of the ones you mentioned).

I'd love Nintendo to, eventually, announce a new console with some crazy name like Wii was. People couldn't understand why they'd call it that and it ended up being a hit across the globe (maybe not with hardcore gamers, but...).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back