• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will Gen 5 be the death of Pokemon?

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Because I ca't be bothered to go into detail...

GSC/HGSS
    DPPt
    RBY/FRLG
    RSE

Roughly.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • You=Epic fail

3+4 were awesome. 4 admitably was the worst, but come on it sold 20mil. It wasn't THAT BAD. Not to mention the pkmn creator confirmed there will be at least 10gens.

Oh really? I'm an epic fail because I prefer Gens 1 & 2 to 3 & 4? If I felt like recieveing a comment like that over my opinion on a videogame series, I'd have told a class of 2nd graders that Pokemon sucked. If there is any "epic fail" here, it's you.

JeTz

ジェット
    Years
  • I personally liked the GSC and with the HG/SS out, it straight become the best Pokemon game for me.

1. GSC / HG/SS
    2. RBY / FR/LG
    3. DPPt
    4. RSE

I don't think that there will be an end for Pokemon until the company for Pokemon has encounter some economy problems which wont properly happen because of the release at most of the country, they made a great budget even the game wasn't popular such as RSE.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'll say hat every gen one gets the 'is this new gen the last one?', along with 'this gen sucked' or 'this gen has the fugliest Pokemon' opinions which are really subjective and down to each person on what they prefer. One person who hated gen so-and-so, another may love it the most out of them all.

Anyways, unless Gen 5 fails in such an epic fashion/the world asplodes, it won't be. There will be new generations as long as Pokemon gameskeep sellin. Considering the gen four sales (and general good slaes all round throughout the generaions), the Pokemon franchise is very, very far from dying - gen 5 is very unlikely to be the last.

xRaVeNx

Pokemon Wastelander
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2010
    No I don't think so. They'll just remake blue and red again.

Daeva Okami-Luca

∞Protector∞
    Years
  • I'm not saying Generation 5 will suck, I never made my personal opinion on it. I'm just asking the question if you think it will, or won't.

Now, I'm not saying the evolutions are bad stat-wise, but design-wise, they all suck ass. Every last one of them, yes, even Leafeon and Glaceon, should be removed from every D/P/Pt/HG/SS cartridge and remade. I mean, look at this:

eww

EEWWWW

OMFGWTF IS THAT?!

This made me rofl. -claps- Couldn't have said it better.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • This is one of the things that I dislike about being a part of the pokemon community in general. We get a group of kids each generation saying OMG THESE POKEMON SUCK. Seriously. It's obnoxious. If you thought Pokemon sucked you wouldn't be on this website, so stop complaining and get over it. I'll jump on the bandwagon and agree with everyone that the 2nd Gen was the best so far, and that it does take a month or so for me to get used to each new Gen. You'll get used to it too. But you'll still pretend like you aren't, just to be cool.

I have said it.

Daeva Okami-Luca

∞Protector∞
    Years
  • I honestly love all the pokemon, but I was referring to the ugliness. I never thought, "oh, R/B/Y was the best." "oh, D/P/PL sucks."

No, it doesn't.

My complaint is: why make the new evo's so terrible looking?

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Gen 1:
    Pros: New concept, new region of Kanto, entirely new system for a videogame.
    Cons:Very Glitchy, no everything worked. The pokemon weren't very unique.

Gen 2:
    Pros: 100 new Pokemon, with a minute amount of evolutions and pre-evos to previous Pokemon coming to a total of 19. New region of Johto, option to return to Kanto, improved battle system and animated Pokemon.
    Cons: Still slightly glitchy.

Gen 3:
    Pros: 135 new Pokemon, 2 new baby Pokemon, new system in which trainers could particpate in Pokemon Contests to win ribbons based on their Pokemons' condition, new region of Hoenn, further improved battle system, Battle Frontier is introduced for competitive gamers. Introduction of secret bases.
    Cons: There was almost no inclusion of previous Generations' Pokemon. Not much gameplay after the storyline.

Gen 4:
    Pros: 107 new Pokemon, the new region of Sinnoh, 2.5D graphics. New Wi-Fi system. Underground was added.
    Cons: Many of the new pokemon are pre-evoultion, and evoultions of previous pokemon. Some of the Pokemons designs aren't as good looking as the previous ones.

Fixed. :3

I don't think Gen 5 will be the end. The actual gameplay is only getting better, better graphics, new concepts.

The only people who I can see having a problem with it are the Nostalgia *****s and the people who have to have their Pokemon all pretty and cute.

Yes, I do like some Nostalgia, but if I want that I just play an older game instead of saying 'MAKE A REMAKE OF AN OLD GAME BECAUSE I WANT TO PLAY IT AGAIN BUT I WANT GOOD GRAPHICS TOO'

Years
  • Gen 5 will probably be the revival of Pokemon...think about it, Gen 1 started it all, and Gen 3 set us to a new place. Coincidence, anyone?

I WANNA SEE A ABSOL EVO/PRE EVO!

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • Even if in some way Gen V is absolutely and completely horrible, there's no way it'll be the end of pokemon. And I say this because all they have to do is pull a coke.

If they change a bunch of the main concept of pokemon this generation. (8 Gyms, Elite 4, team "rocket" etc.) Then in generation VI they can release it as Pokemon classic and make millions as all the nostalgic fans out there will swoon to get their hands on a "good-old" pokemon game. I think the death of pokemon will have to result from consecutive failed generations.

Grifstar

Certified Shark Bait
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Gen 5 will probably be the revival of Pokemon...think about it, Gen 1 started it all, and Gen 3 set us to a new place. Coincidence, anyone?

By the sounds of things, I think that's exactly what they're going to do. With all this talk of 'rebirth' at least.

If they do decide to actually revamp the series entirely, it might do some things for the greater good. I really want to see some weaker pokemon get some better stats or something and close the gap on all this NU/UU/OU nonesense. I dunno if they actually will though. Maybe this is a hint that they really are gonna try fitting more regions into one game (Though I always thought this was because DS cartridges don't have enough memory for all that space)

Whatever it is it sounds like Gen 5 will be huge, maybe bigger than any of the other generations we've seen so far. HGSS did leave us with a lot of new things to play around with, I can only imagine whatever's next is gonna perfect everything even more(I mean, obviously).

Omn

Moogle King
    Years
  • OK well in my opinion i have to say that the 2nd gen was my favorite. OK and understand why so many people prefer the 4th and 3rd gen because they started with those ones. The fifth gen with probably be the same with some people will start with that one and prefer it and some people will hate it. For me i hope they exclude the legendary pokemon from the 4th gen cause they completely forgot about the legendaries from previous ones like celebi the time legendary or mew the very first pokemon ever who should have spawned every single pokemon in the universe since they said it had all the pokemons dna. I think Arceus being the god of pokemon is preposterous and will never accept it including palkia and dialga the others i can sorta accept. So hopefully the fifth gen will never account for those things and have their own legend with legendary pokemon not based of creating something cause that i find really idiotic for the reasons of they don't account for the older gens legendary pokemon. Anyway i doubt it will be the end of pokemon cause seriously who doesn't love it excluding some adults

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    Generation IV was the death of Pokemon. Too bad that because it was so horrible, Pokemon is still continuing.

Right now, Pokemon is turning into "The Simpsons" of the gaming world. It may have had its golden ages, but even when popularity and sales seem low, it still survives.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • Generation IV was the death of Pokemon. Too bad that because it was so horrible, Pokemon is still continuing.

Right now, Pokemon is turning into "The Simpsons" of the gaming world. It may have had its golden ages, but even when popularity and sales seem low, it still survives.

I don't know how your dislike for a generation makes it the death of pokemon.

It had the second highest sales of all pokemon generations. Beating out 2nd and 3rd generation BEFORE the release of HGSS. Pokemon is becoming poplular all over again.

But I guess your opinion is right. I personally find some of the recent Simpson's to be the best episodes yet. And First generation of pokemon is probably my least favourite. I love it dearly, but I truly think it's only gotten better since then. Am I right? Hardly, that's my opinion. But you can't make the above claims with no factual evidence and expect everyone to agree with you. (Not saying you expected this, but you sure seem to know that this generation was the death of pokemon.) If say when generation 8 comes out (if of) course I'd like to hear your opinion (mine too actually :P) on generation IV.

Years
    • ?
    • Seen Aug 16, 2014
    If it doesnt die with the 5th gen, it will be VERY close to it. Nintendo must realize that they dont have to create new generations to make money.

Back