• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Will u choose a different starter in platinum than the one u used in d/p?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    nope, i'm going to choose the same one.
    piplup doesn't cut it for me, and i never liked fire types past the second season.
    i personally think turtwig is much better and useful overall.

Tac One

OWN new Emld, Sapp and FR & LG
    Years
    If I do get Platinum, I'm going with Turtwig, I always use Grass starters. Have been since I played Blue.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    I chose Chimchar for my Japanese Pearl, I chose Chimchar for my English Diamond, and now I just recently chose Chimchar for my Japanese Platinum. I just can't seem to shake the habit of choosing the fire-type starter for every Pokémon game I get in my grubby little paws. Perhaps it's because I know how they work, or even more likely it's because of tradition. Whatever the case, no, I did not choose a different starter for my Japanese Platinum and I probably won't choose Piplup or Turtwig for the English release either...

pm_41

Gone and grown up
    Years
    When the USA version comes out, I'm sticking with Turtwig.

However, it really doesn't matter. If you know what you're doing, you can make any starter work well in your team.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    I might stray away from Torterra to try out Infernape. As stupid as it is, a Fire-type DEFINITELY makes the game easier. All those Bronzors start to really piss you off after it takes bucketloads of hits to kill one.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Nope! :D I'm still sticking with my buddy, Piplup. Frankly not a big fan of Turtwig or Chimchar. (Don't really know why) I breezed through Diamond with Empoleon, this time, I won't evolve it and make it through Platinum with Piplup by my side. >:D GO PIPLUPLUPLUP!

Years
    I already chose a different starter in the Japanese Platinum. Originally, I started with Turtwig in Diamond but I chose Piplup in Platinum. I kind of regret it so far because your rival will usually spam Turtwig's Withdraw six times before it finally attacks. It makes the first two battles very sluggish since I didn't have anything but physical attacks.

I wouldn't have that problem if my rival chose Chimchar or Piplup since Growl and Leer can be easily dealt with by switching. That is not the case with Withdraw. :/

Hopefully, things should get much better later on in the game.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I usually choose Chimchar in either of the games. :\
    Reason why is because I really like the move set, it's speed, and attack power. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    I chose piplup in pearl but i plan to pick chimchar in platinum 'cos i traded for one when i was at the pokemon league and it made it a whole lot easier.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    seeing as I've restarted plenty enough times in both Diamond and pearl to have started with each one at least once in each game, I think I'll just go with Chimchar seeing as I'm partial to fire types anyway

mrpwnageisme

I am teh smexyest
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 26, 2008
    lol CHIMCHAR PWNS piplup sucks tutwig is kool but chimchar is the way to go.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    I'll probably start with chimchar...i started with piplup in diamond, but i need a change =P

Years
    As I plan to play Platinum as "Dawn", I may as well play the game by PIPLUP choice. I'll trade for better...

サファイア

Save me?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2008
    I havn't really thought about it lately, maybe i'll stick with good ol' Piplup. The other two don't seem to fit into my liking anyway. I've had no problem with any starter i've tried, though, I support penguines that can squirt water out of its mouth.

Back