• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Will you be catching any of the Surfing- or Flying-Pikachu in the Yellow Forest?

Which Pikachu do you think you'll be aiming to catch?

• Flying Pikachu

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Surfing Pikachu

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Normal, non-Flying, non-Surfing Pikachu

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • None. Don't intend to get the course.

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.тαмєя

Typloshion Lover :D
Years
    • Age 26
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    Uck, I still can't think at least a surfing one which really really suck :|
    How rare are these? I have like over 20,000 steps when I'm looking for them too!

Years
  • Aaaaahhh I just caught a flying Pikachu after about four hours of trying.... I wanted a surfing one!!! :(

Caught me a Surfing Pikachu.. Female :(

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you can all the surfing Pikachu's are female and the flying ones are male...

EDIT: Just found something that might confirm this for you https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Yellow_Forest

WOOP WOOP WOOP!!!!!

After 6 hours of training I managed to catch a Surfing Pikachu :D

I caught the flying one after about 4 hours, and then the Surfing and Volt Tackle Pikachu's in consecutive 'battles' after taking 25,733 steps.... at least I can get back to the game now and not worry about the steps resetting at midnight :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    Congrats on everyone pikachus!! I'm still trying to see a "!!!" come up, but no luck so far.

ok, I still have yet to find a "!!!" but I just caught a volt tackle and Fly pikachu just from the "!!". So I guess there is a chance to find Fly and surf with "!!". :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2013
    I think i would like a surfing Pikachu atm.
    omg... as usualy i want the hardest thing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2010
    so I think I've figured it out, after getting a flying pikachu for both my gold and silver games, that if you have found a surf pikachu on the route you're on, you have to reset the route by sending your pokemon back and then collect some more watts. Finding a !!! or !! just takes time and I think they show up more often if you have a few hundred watts and you keep running from anything that isn't one of those,

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2010
    who wants a flyer? i'm trading it!

i would like it!!!! omg. tried to like 14 hours straight and all i have to show for it is like 8 flail and no volt tackle.... just name an offer and ill see what i can do!!! PM me!

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    already caught a bunch- i'm gonna make my main pikachu and my level 13 pikachu "do the hokey pokey and turn themselves around" until i have a bunch of pichus

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • Could anyone spare a Surfer and/or Flyer Pikachu for me to have? Been searching for days, all I found was a Volt Tackle one.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • Last night I was bored and checked for Wi-Fi events and found The Yellow Forest by accident. Since finding out about Surf and Fly Pikachu, I've decided to try to get them. I hope to get them both by tonight. I'm at 6000 steps without even going outside.

Years
  • Unfortunately, my Wifi has never worked; however, I am contemplating buying a special cable so that I can directly attach it to my computer/router.

R3D

"TAKEN DOWN ON THE WORD GO!"
    Years
  • Last night I was bored and checked for Wi-Fi events and found The Yellow Forest by accident. Since finding out about Surf and Fly Pikachu, I've decided to try to get them. I hope to get them both by tonight. I'm at 6000 steps without even going outside.

Good luck, I got to 10,000 steps and used all my watts for one encounter with a !! and two with a !!! pikachu, which fled as soon as I used evade.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2010
    Never use evade unless you have 1 hp and the other pokemon still has 3 bars, don't use it more than once either. Better chance it at 2-3 bars then risking evade xD

R3D

"TAKEN DOWN ON THE WORD GO!"
    Years
  • Never use evade unless you have 1 hp and the other pokemon still has 3 bars, don't use it more than once either. Better chance it at 2-3 bars then risking evade xD

Wish you told me earlier... >_>

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2010
    Technically you could evade nonstop and never get hurt, and still have a chance to hurt the other pokemon. Okay, let me give you guys tips on how to get the surfing/flying pikachu.

Read it all and you'll probably have a better chance to catch them! :) For the basics.

The first thing to understand is that each stroll area has 6 pokemon that can be caught in the area. Those are divided into Group A (Rare pokemon), Group B (Uncommon), Group C (Common).

Each of those 6 pokemon are paired off into each of the groups. That means each area has 2 pokemon in group A, 2 in Group B, and 2 in Group C. This is the current grouping for Yellow Forest.

Group A: Surfing Pikachu or Flying Pikachu
    Group B: Volt Tackle Pikachu or Flail Pikachu
    Group C: Normal Pikachu or Normal Pikachu

Let me also make this CLEAR to you. Every single one of those 6 pokemon in each area are FIXED. That means they are always the same, same gender, same attacks. The only thing that changes is nature, stats. Their levels are also always the same. The common pikachu will be level 10. Flying pikachu will always be level 15 (btw, flying pikachu also already knows thunder O_O).

When you go into a stroll, the game assigns you one pokemon from group A, one from group B, and one from group C. So until you end the stroll and start another, you will be stuck with those.

When you use the pokeradar in the pokewalker. There are 4 levels.

First ! : It's a pokemon from group C
    Second ! : Either a pokemon from group C or B
    !! : Either a pokemon from group B or A
    !!! : It's a pokemon from group A

(You need 10,000 steps to unlock flying pikachu, 9,500 for surfing pikachu, 5,000 for volt tackle pikachu, and 2,000 for flail pikachu. This means until you have the steps necessary that pikachu won't be one of the ones you can find)

TIPS: Now for the real tips & advanced info now that you know the basics.

- When you choose to "Send gift" instead of "Return from stroll", you'll receive the pokemon and items that you got, but it won't reset the pokemon assigned to your stroll. Use this to your advantage. What you should do is get to 10,000 steps, catch 3 !! pokemon (of course if you see a !!! catch it!), send them through gift. Odds are at least one will be from group A. Check their moves, and you'll know if you've been assigned either surf, fly, or volt tackle. Once you have the one you like don't return from stroll until you get as many as you want from that pikachu type. When you send gift you will lose your watts, so be careful.

- BIG TIP: Each stroll area has pokemon types that give advantages. For yellow forest it's electric, ground and grass. What these type advantages does is it decreases the amount of steps needed to catch group A pokemon by 25%. Meaning the first thing you should do is catch whatever pikachu, end stroll, and switch a pikachu in. Having an advantage type also INCREASES chance of encountering a rare pokemon! So with a pikachu on the stroll it only takes 7,500 steps and it'll be easier to catch rare ones!

- Never evade unless you have only 1 hp and the opponent still has 4. Rare pokemons have an extremely high chance of running away. And they tend to evade a lot, so you'll "stare down" (a tie, where nothing happens). Until they run away. (For those that don't know at a catching fight on the pokeradar you have 3 options. Attack. Evade, and Catch. If you attack and the opponent attacks, each loses 1 out of 4 hp. If one attacks and the other evades, the attacker will miss and the evade will attack for 1hp bar. If both evade, you just "stare down".

- Always grab 3 items before sending gifts to make the most of your watts. From this place you can get a light ball, mystery seed, thunderstone and even big root :)

- Although you lose your watts from sending gifts, you don't lose steps. Meaning once you send gift, all you need left during that day is watts.

- Don't waste your energy shaking the walker. Grab a fan, point towards ceiling, put pokewalker on it. Small vibrations are enough to register. Feel free to ask any questions! :)​

Sup3rSuzaku

Trusted Pokemon Trader
    Years
  • I got the route at 5:00 Pm (was not tired even though school day) 4 days later i have a flying pikachu and a volt tackle pikachu and a broken pokewalker i need to replace so now the route and the pokewalker are useless to me and i have nothing else to do then to rerun soul silver or get heart gold or to rerun gold and silver

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • i got a surfing pikachu off someone for like 4 shinies... and i think its hacked :( .
    and one more question, can they be shiny from the pokewalker?

Back