• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows, Mac, Or Linux?

Your OS

• Microsoft Windows

Votes: 102 75.0%
  • Apple Mac OSX

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Linux

Votes: 35 25.7%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2010
    I use Windows XP, and Ubuntu on my desktop and Windows XP, Ubuntu, and Jolicloud on my netbook. I played with many distros of linux and i'm using Ubuntu to write this. Have to have Windows for iTunes, Maplestory, Game Maker 7. I use linux because it has the can to replace Windows only if people would make programs for it.

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
  • Coding/programming.

It's a lot easier than rebooting.

I don't presume you're a power user?

I'm a hobbyist game designer and owner of my computer if that's what you mean.

I guess if you're not using virtual machines for the sake of saying "I can have my mac use Windows", but rather use it for coding and stuff, makes sense.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I don't understand how the version system confuses people with Ubuntu. It's one of the few ideas that I personally like; YY.MM is much more useful in retrospect than 1.28.4448.6821 or whatever. If you talk about 9.10, I instantly know that this is the version of Ubuntu released in October of 2009. Internal versions should work differently, OFC, but it's more useful to the end user if external version numbers make sense.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    7 simply rocks. it has too many advantages compared to xp/vista

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024

Period. No contest. Game set >.>

7 is flashy, but I honestly don't think it's better than OS X. I've Hackintoshed my netbook, and it runs better than XP. Considering that XP was built for systems like this, and OS X was built for higher-end computers, I think that says something about the state of Macs as we know it.

Zet

Years
  • 7 is flashy, but I honestly don't think it's better than OS X. I've Hackintoshed my netbook, and it runs better than XP. Considering that XP was built for systems like this, and OS X was built for higher-end computers, I think that says something about the state of Macs as we know it.

XP is more ancient than OSX isn't it?

I use Windows XP, and Ubuntu on my desktop and Windows XP, Ubuntu, and Jolicloud on my netbook. I played with many distros of linux and i'm using Ubuntu to write this. Have to have Windows for iTunes, Maplestory, Game Maker 7. I use linux because it has the can to replace Windows only if people would make programs for it.
    Why would anyone want to use itunes on Windows besides using it for their ipod? you're just using bloated crap, even safari is terrible for Windows. And linux never has the can to replace Windows

Years
  • I'm a combo for Apple/Windows. I am proficient with both, and can see the pros and cons of each. Personally, they are so similar with coding it's rediculous.

Overall, I don't have a preference. Give me a computer, and I'll just use it ;)

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • not really, Mac OS X 10.0 (cheetah) was released on March 24, 2001. while Windows XP was released on October 25, 2001.

OS X just barely beat XP out by 7 months. even then, at the time both XP and OSX had a very rocky start since XP was a large step away from ME and 98 for home users as was OS X the giant step away from the classic OS 9 for mac users.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • I use Window 7 on my laptop, XP on my desktop and some form of Mac OSX on my school computer. My favorite is easily W7. Mac looks nice, but after years of using Windows it's much to hard to get used to.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I discovered it may be useful to set up a triple boot on my Lappy (because I'm thinking about upgrading Ubuntu to 9.10 and I need internet access just in case something happens... and I can't use Vista x:) so I added Fedora 11. I quite like it, albeit it being different, although setting up GRUB was a pain in the ass mainly because it overwrote Ubuntu's... but I configured it so that it could still load Ubuntu.

LOL IT HELPS TO POINT TO THE CORRECT PARTITION LOLOLOLOLOL

All three work just fine, and the two I had before work like they ever did.

Back