• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would it be better as a live action instead of turn based?

Would pokemon be better as a live action game instead of a turn based?

• Yes!

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • No.

Votes: 39 57.4%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2009
    OMG you just gave me an awesome idea, a real-time strategy game with pokemon like age of empires. Imagine starting your own town and recruiting pokemon as villagers and training pokemon for battle, damn that would be sweet. Its kinda like what they did with Halo and Halo Wars. patent pending.

Would probably be best as a mod for an existing game, but the concept sounds interesting, especially when you get into evolution. Bulbasaurs are villagers, Venusaurs are tanks. And for races, Ghosts would be the stereotypical stealth race. Grass types would be casters. Psychics elementalists, whatever.

But would pokemon faint or die? :laugh:

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • Would probably be best as a mod for an existing game, but the concept sounds interesting, especially when you get into evolution. Bulbasaurs are villagers, Venusaurs are tanks. And for races, Ghosts would be the stereotypical stealth race. Grass types would be casters. Psychics elementalists, whatever.

But would pokemon faint or die? :laugh:

Hmm well of course you have to protect the little kids innocent minds but it would be annoying if the ground was littered with unconscious pokemon.

Oh and rock and steel types can be the defenders, ground can be the builders

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2011
    I'd definately like it if they made a Super Smash Bros. type spin-off for Pokemon. But in an actual Pokemon game, it would just be chaos. I have lots of fun playing as the pokemon in brawl, and if they were to make one of about 50 or so pokemon, they'd have my money as soon as it came out. :)

Years
  • Lol i just had an idea! You see the pokemon from a 3D isometric view or top view and you assign 4 moves to 4 different buttons, and instead of PP, when you press a button to use a move, there would be a gauge, and when you use a move it would drop from full to empty, and would slowly recharge so you can use the move again, and the speed of the recharging depends on the original PP of the move (eg 5/5 would recharge slower than 10/10). And how fast the pokemon moves depends on its speed stat, and the amount of knockback taken from physical and special attacks would depend on the pokemon's def or sp def, and the amount of knockback dealt would depend on the pokemon's attack or sp attack stat....The only problem is how would you use items, although the DS would have no problem handling that, as the different type of item icons would appear some where on the touch screen, and you just touch it to use it, same for pokemon switching, there would be icons of your party pokemon on the touch screen, and you just touch them to switch out, which is also the same for fleeing, there would be a flee icon somewhere there too.................SO SORRY I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF SORRY IF I GOT CARRIED AWAY! X_X

Last edited:

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • Eh, I prefer the turn based system. Live action would screw up a lot of dynamics like how the moves and effects work, stats, etc.

Gars129

Is now focused on other things
    Years
  • Mystery dungeon is the one that should be live action. Ive always wanted a live action MD wii. And they should take away the MD from MD and make it with towns and well made dungeons like in the main series cause those dungeons are boring.

Rioku_Zanketa

...::Ultimate Warrior::...
    Years
  • I remember way back before I got red(my first), I would imagine that it was a side-platformer game. You would have to through multiple pokeballs just to catch one pokemon. Never thought of the battling part.

But anywho, yes. Well,...I dunno about this "live action" strangeness, but I would love real-time combat. That's a new interesting innovation pokemon, one of which will never be explored. The way I see it though, it'd be a little more for teens/adults, where you pokemon can hurt the trainer. But after actually thinking about it, I can see using pokemon themselves without the trainer involved. Yea, I kinda wish it were a real-time game....

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
  • That's a very interesting question. I think it would be crazy fun, but the whole everything-you-know-is-wrong shock would make me blow a fuse eventually. It's possible.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    That would be cool, and for the people who would not like Live they could like go into options and go to battle type and choose "Turn Based" or something like that for everyone to enjoy and like have four buttons for your four moves, but, I doubt Nintendo would ever do that.

~MasterMind~

⌊C u r i o s i t y ♫ ♥⌉
    Years
  • it doesn't seem like it would be as much fun if it were a live action so I think i'll stick with turn based :|

CHG-Swampert

Do not make Wigglytuff Laugh
    Years
  • Hell yeah... but then the game would be unstable as hell and just rigged up. Nah, better to stick with turn-based until nintendo can make it a little more like the show and then we can move up from there :P

SanitySlayer

OK-ish Trainer
    Years
  • The Games have almost always been turn based, with the odd mini game like Pinball (which to be honest i don't really see the point in). It would be a good change to actually be able to play as the pokemon for once, where you move it around in live action actually dodging attacks and trying to return even more powerful ones.

Theres no harm in having a game like this released, besides, just because it comes out, doesn't mean everybody has to get it even if they don't like it. But turn based games do start to get boring in the end.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • When I think live action Pokemon, I immediately thought "fighting game"...
    I don't think it would mix very well, especially if you can just dodge, I mean, look at Halo, everyone would just be jumping around.

darkmewham2

Cold's catch rate- 100%. D:
    Years
  • Yes, but make it a spin-off. I like the turn based aspect of the Pokemon games that is already implemented. What wouild happen to competitive battling if the turn based aspect was gone? Plus, we all know that Nintendo would not take the risk of losing fans, even if it means getting new fans. Pokemon spin-offs are mostly an obnoxious way to test new ideas for a Pokemon game, or keep the players who have been playing since '95 something new to do.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    I've thought about that before. It really seems like it would make the games a lot more fun, but then again, I already like the games. It would certainly be interesting to see a Pokemon game with that added, just not the main games. A spin-off, such as the Mystery Dungeons, should definitely have it (as many other people have said). I think that if they ever do decide to change the battle system in the main games, it will probably ruin them.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • One of the coolest parts of Pokémon is that it's entirely strategy-based. It's impossible to win by button-mashing alone or by having quick reflexes with your thumb. So gamers that love the intellectual strategic side of video games but had abysmal hand-eye coordination (myself included) can play Pokémon just as well as real-time gamers who don't, for example, die twenty times before managing to jump over a two-foot gorge. Make Pokémon battles real-time and you take away one of the things that makes it so different from other games.

Zero Avenged

Be greater.
    Years
  • I think it would be awesome. I mean you could fight like in the anime! have a Bulbasuar trip something with vine whip....ect....But it would have to be a spin off.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    For meh it's a definite "no". It would lower down the strategy used (imo) and screw up how several attacks work. In all, I just don't think the game would be fun that way, leave action to other game franchises.

Back