• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you ever want to be a mod?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    A few months back I wanted to be one, because when I make my mind about something, I really need to see it happening, and I always seem to came up with ideas. When I first joined the forum, my ideas were rejected unfairly, but after a few talks with H-Staff I realized that it wasn't necessary to be a mod, to implement these ideas. Now whenever I come up with something, I bother the H-Staff or the mods and have it my way :PP

Basically, I do not want it badly, it would be cool though, specially if I'd get to mod one of the sections I'm active in.
    The Underground. ;)

Years
    A year ago I got a regular at The Fourth Generation. I was very active there and did think becoming one of the mods there would have been nice as I had some ideas how to bring some life to the place. After a few months of regular posting I realized that there were same threads being opened over and over cos of the old non-revival rule, plus didn't see much motivation in others in reviving the place so I gave up and left the place as a regular. Now I'm at Pokemon Trivia a lot (well, excluding this pause Im making) but I think that Revise/Meadow is doing such a great job that there is no way I could do it better myself, so I am currently not hoping for a mod position. Same with Fifth Generation, Dragon is doing such a good job Im considering becoming a regular there. I would definitely love to bring some more attention to some places but I wouldnt have time for it at this point. Plus current mods are doing a better job I would do myself :D

tl;dr

Used to want to be a mod, not anymore. I enjoy being a regular user.

Sirfetch’d

Wonder about what? o.0 lol. Why we're so bad at doing things we want to do? 8)

But yea, I've noticed a huge reduction in bullcrap reports too. In the old days, I closed 90% of reports that came in because regular members were so gung-ho about reporting things that even barely toed the line. I made it a point to be super lenient about stuff, but it seemed like everyone (members and mods alike) were so strict and sticklers for the rules that everything was reported and everyone was grumpy and blah blah blah. Unless it's downright offensive/ridiculous, I tend to let pretty much anything fly.

It's gotten me into trouble in the past. 8( But luckily PC has gotten WAY less strict about things. The general idea these days is "threads that aren't good will die on their own, because members won't bother posting in bad threads", so this idea that mods should be curating content via their mod tools (delete, lock, etc.) has kinda died out. Instead, crap threads die out by nature of being crap threads, and mods curate by leading by example.

It's beautiful. ;-;

I like how we do things now! I've been staff twice and my first time around it seemed like reports were coming in daily "off topic", "this fits better here", "should this really be a thread", etc. and it was a big annoying. Now it seems the only reports are double posts and the occasional spambot. It's great! I like this lenient nature because it lets us mods focus on our forum as a whole as opposed to little nitpicky posts.

Sirfetch’d

Back in my day, we got 30-75 reports a day and people reported everything.

I would expect Pokemon forums to get a bit more reports than sections like the Treehouse but wow. That is a stupidly high amount. I don't think the Treehouse has gotten 75 reports since I was re-modded D:

Years
    To put it briefly, being a mod would interfere with my shitposting schedule, making it a low priority. Mods should be model members, and I am not; as a non-contributor, I feel a promotion would be at least somewhat undeserved and conspicuous.

I'd be lying to myself if I didn't want it once in a while, but that desire has subsided with time. Whether it's maturity or laziness, I don't know. I am happy enough talking with people I know on here. I'd rather there not be bootlicking or a power dynamic involved, on my part or someone else's. I ramble enough as it is.

Years
    Plus current mods are doing a better job I would do myself :D

This is literally why my mod dream fizzled out as of late, because I feel like they (the ones currently on staff) are already the perfect choice. I would love to be a mod, but I don't like getting my hopes up (especially after my attempt at getting on the SMT failed).

Drogan

Master of the Cannons
    Years
    It would be interesting to be a mod on PC, but I don't think I can. I don't visit the site as much as others and when I do, I rarely say much.

However, it would be neat to mod the video game section, since that's what I know best.

For now, I'll work on being a bit more active.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    not from pokecommunity but this brings back memories.

hmmm... idk. being a mod means much additional responsability, you have to babysit a whole sub-forum or even several of them at once... you have to face a lot of reports per day, some of them being absolutely stupid lol. being a mod also means you have to be friendly, patient, helpful, nice, but also to be able to wipe out conflicts and crush the dreams of those who don't follow the rules, thus showing fermity. sooo idk

but what i can be sure of is that the day i'll be a mod on these forums is the day hell freezes over, there's no way it will happen, pure and simple. i'm WAY too harsh, use extreme language sometimes, especially when publishing rant threads, i'm not a supporter, and while i think i can coordonate various things, forums don't really fall into this category.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    there's no way it will happen, pure and simple.
    that's what I said

then look what happened

i'm not a supporter
    You don't have to be a supporter in order to become staff here. I was a non-supporter member when I was modded (pretty sure I'm not the only one too)....still don't have a supportership.

Years
    You don't have to be a supporter in order to become staff here. I was a non-supporter member when I was modded (pretty sure I'm not the only one too)....still don't have a supportership.

It's true. It's mainly just coincidental that most staff have a supporter tier on them.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    that's what I said

then look what happened

Yeah but you're not the troll that is KorpiklaaniVodka and you're not as harsh or impulsive as me.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    No. What for? I'd just screw up my schedule which is already pretty much fucked up. I'm happy as a regular member.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    Some of our H-staff aren't supporters and look where they're at! In addition, I was a supporter for half a decade if not longer (I can't even remember at this point) here before this. All supportership really is at this point is the cherry on top of your browsing experience.

zek is the only mod that's not a supporter that i can think of rn

supportership is exactly that, though i feel a bit... awkward considering most people who actively post are supporters or mods... especially those who have at least half as many posts as I do... and well, i'm not a supporter yet, and will not be at least for quite a while, despite being here for 2 years and 8 months and having almost 3000 posts. of course there are exceptions though (classiccartoonsftw, witari emperor aka the one who complains about cyndaquil) though supporters aren't exactly superior to regulars, i feel like i'm THAT guy sometimes lol. i mean look, supporters and mods make all the collabs, get all the fun stuff that regulars don't, but it's understandable.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I have no interest in it personally, but that's in part due to the fact that my activity here is sporadic cause life outside the Internet happens sometimes, lol. If I made it a habit to visit PC more regularly then I might consider it, but even then probably not tbh.

Lucid

This is a huge problem on PC that I've been trying to think of ways to fix. While we've gotten away from smaller individual cliques on PC, there's a massively noticeable divide between supporters/staff vs "regular" members. I think a big part of it is because we throw tons of formatting and badges onto their posts and it can feel really awkward/off-putting to members who don't have those statuses. :( We've been experimenting with removing the formatting from usergroups and denoting staff in other ways, but it'll be a hard pill to swallow haha.

Anyway I know it's a problem and I promise we're thinking about ways to solve it.

Ive never really thought of supporters as all that special tbh. I've always though members or staff were way more noticeable by how much and what and where they most posted. I don't think there's anything off putting with the user groups and junk

Back