• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you like to be a moderator?

Sniper

ふゆかい
    Years
    Well, I'm so damn active. I think I can moderate well. Well, I want to be in the Welcome Lounge Section! :D Why you ask? It's because it's very fun to greet new users and show them the ropes fast with a very warm welcome! :) I think when we normal users welcome new users, they feel very pleased and welcome <3 It's fun!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Me? A moderator? Why would I ever want to do that?

Okay but really, I never really tried to get modded nor did I think or care that it'd happen. I was just kind of posting around a lot and got a PM one day and lol bam. I never really thought I'd get promoted to super mod, either. I went through phases where I really wanted it and then wouldn't want it. In earlier years of being a mod, I would see someone get promoted and usually think "ugh shoulda been me!" because I was young, naive, and gee sounds like I had an ego. As time went on, I'd think "phew! glad that wasn't me" when someone got promoted to smod lmao. Upon actually getting promoted I was five seconds of "omg yay" and then "holy lord in heaven what do i do?!" and cried. I am the literal worst wow. They're gonna fire me for this post.

I'd love to be a mod. Any Pokemon section that's not X or Y based, the Challenges, CCC, and I'd really like The Red Carpet as well. Well, really, super mod would be best. I kinda spread around the forum activity, so it's hard to put it to one place. xD

I'm pretty active in a lot of sections on PC as well. You would think that becoming a super mod as well as being someone that posted around other forums a lot, you'd enjoy and be able to mod them all, right? Wrong. I feel so out of place when I do mod actions in any forums I never modded by myself. The Pokemon forums I didn't mod I feel better about, since they're all run so similarly, but I still can't help but feel I'm stepping on the mods' toes or something.

We also generally only handle reports that a) need immediate attention, b) they need extra help or c) if that section's mod(s) isn't online/on a break. We don't really do a lot of mod work in the other forums, basically. It's mostly behind the scenes things.

To V.V: You are epic! <3

Anyways, I did want to be a moderator at one point but that desire burned me out really quickly so I gave up on it. A close friend I met here was a moderator of the Art & Design section at the time so when she stepped down I really wanted to help bring life to the section she once moderated since it meant a lot to me both as an artist and as her friend. We don't talk too much anymore, though, but I'm thrilled to see that it's in such good hands. (° °)b

Months after that I started posting around the welcome lounge section since the realization hit me that welcoming was something I truly enjoyed. I made absolutely terrible welcomes (imho) that were littered with tildes and "n___n;" faces so I can't even look back on it but somehow I got promoted there when Minerva left staff. xD;; Not even too keen on seeing my promotion thread in the higher staff boards due to that, hah. I've matured a lot since then and really enjoyed my spot welcoming new members - met so many friendly faces. Hard to let it go even though I'm a super mod now as it'll always be precious to me.

The smod promotion was something I didn't expect at all either since I'm fairly timid and modest (so I'm told) and never expect good things to happen to me. Plus I felt too new to ever be considered for the spot. The role change is really different but I love going back and welcoming new people since it makes me feel like things haven't really changed as much as they did. Being an smod itself is really wonderful though despite my sometimes feeling like I don't fit in - it's interesting to discuss forum-wide changes and moderator promotions as well as put forth new ideas.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    It would be kinda fun to be a PC moderator again after being off of the staff for nine years now, and while it's fun to believe that the higher-ups are constantly keeping their eyes on my posts to judge my maturity and insight, I'm not gonna delude myself into thinking I'm actually on their radar. Although I notice Syd's old sections still don't have a moderator... XD

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
    Could be fun so why not? Although I do fear I might mess up since I'm quite clumsy at times and it mustn't be really easy to mod a section :P

Let's see, Chit Chat Cafe, Video Games, Anime & Manga and Culture & Media sounds like cool sections to mod.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    I used to moderate a chatroom which I did enjoy and I think I was fairly good at but I imagine a forum would be vastly different. It did used to be stressful though because there were only 6 of us, all in different time zones and we would have to try and keep the room covered at all times. Because it was mostly minors and we all know the kind of convos teens tend to get up to when left in an unmonitored chat :P I remember a few times we would just have to elevate the status of an older, trusted member to OP when we had to leave the room unmodded and trust that they would kick/ban/caution as appropriate. That was bad enough, I would think having a whole forum section to monitor alone would be quite stressful. Something I would like to maybe one day have a crack at but don't think I would ever apply myself. I would worry about making wrong decisions or about not being active enough with RL getting in the way. Wow that ended up on a tangent...

Years
    Wait, PC has moderators?! Since when?!

Okay, being a moderator is a serious task, and it's a serious decision to make. At the time I received my request to become one, I had a hell of a lot of free time, so that I could maintain my section. I was also very, very PC-spirited and devoted to the site as well, so it was no surprise that I was asked to be a moderator, really.

I was granted duties to a section that had no moderator in it for nearly three months by the time I became a moderator, and it was a fairly dead section at the time the section was handed to me. To be honest, I can't remember much of what I did in the section during the months leading up to my promotion, other than making some discussion threads to liven the section and report posts that didn't belong. I actually did have the thought in the back of my head if I'd be asked to moderate the section, however I wasn't really thinking I'd be the one to get the position and that someone else would get it.

Back in 2012 though, when the section had no moderator, I remember working towards becoming mod of T&I by increasing my activity there, but I barely had any posts and was still somewhat of a lurker. The day I was asked to become a mod though, I had said to myself "wow, it actually happened," and I was somewhat in disbelief that I'd be chosen to advance in the footsteps of the previous moderators of the section.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Yeah. I wanted to become a moderator. I wanted to become a moderator very badly before I got the chance to become one. There's nothing wrong with wanting to become a moderator, so if you believe there is and you want to become one, cast that aside.

I actively tried to become a moderator before that time came. I was active in all the forums that I was interested in becoming a moderator, though, so I didn't feel like a forum jumper, who jumped to the forum that needed a moderator when one did like some people did. I originally wanted to become a moderator in the tech forum. I don't know why. I'm not interested in tech as much as I seem to give the impression I am (my family always asks me technical questions that I don't know the answer to). Someone got that, so I shot for Other Entertainment. I ran the claims thread for about a month before I was modded on Christmas of 2008. And eventually I got promoted here in the Cafe (though it was called Other Voting Polls then).

After about a year and a half, I wanted to become a super moderator. I actually became very obsessed with that, but I feel like it came from a good place of genuinely wanting to contribute more to the wellbeing of the community and not simply wanting more power. I won't go into the details on that, but in August of 2010 that finally happened and it was honestly the best experience I've had on here during my entire time as a member. I never had the desire to become an assistant admin like I did for becoming a moderator or a super moderator, because I was satisfied with where I was since it had all I wanted. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunities it brought to me, and I felt like I made positive contributions to the forum during my time there. Seriously, being an smod was so ♥♥♥♥ing great. I lived off that high that you get when you get promoted for at least a year before it subsided.

Now that I've been off the staff, I do have thoughts of becoming a moderator again. But I wouldn't say I want to become one again. I did my time there, and I am glad for that.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    In 2011 I modded The Welcome Lounge. It was...something that I never expect to get given that I barely started to get active in that section at the time, but that encouraged me to be active a little more. It was also due to the fact Hiidoran needed backup. xD To put it short on how I became one...
    Yeah, um, the more correct phrase would have been, "Hiidoran got REALLY preoccupied and got lazy."

Hehe... anyway.

Much like Aerial Ace just said, I too actively tried to become a moderator back in the day. I would post obsessively in The Welcome Lounge (which used to be called New Users/Welcome). I'd report literally EVERY minor infraction too, because yes, I knew literally every rule by heart. I'm not saying you should go about becoming a moderator that way though... because it wasn't until I actually got passed up for the position (like twice?), learned to genuinely enjoy helping out new members, just report when I stumbled upon things, and learned to enjoy posting in other parts of the community that I was eventually offered the position. I think I modded The Welcome Lounge for about two years before real life stressors got the best of me and I absolutely had to give it up - it just wasn't fair for me to selfishly hold on to it anymore. But much like Aerial Ace, I really enjoyed my time on staff. I liked the responsibility and I really enjoyed having a say in the community's development. I had aspirations of becoming an smod, like most moderators do, but the time never came. Probably because I still didn't venture that far out of my favorite sections and staff boards... XD;

I like to think there will be a time when I can come back to this place and at very least be active again. If it just so happens that I can devote enough activity to be welcomed back to staff, I'd absolutely love to. If I were to come back, it'd probably be back in the Welcome Lounge, or one of the off-topic boards. I'd say here in the Chit-Chat Café, but who doesn't wanna mod this board? Haha.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I do have a question though if anyone can answer; Are the mods here paid? Or is it completely voluntary?
    We're just rolling in the money.
    Would you like to be a moderator?

Actually, the job is completely voluntary. There's no money involved, and really very little reward for the amount of work put into the forums. Aside from the praises of the community and staff's own sense of satisfaction for a job well-done.

I wanted to become a moderator. That was actually one of the main reasons why I stayed on PC over other forums: I thought it more likely that I'd get a staff position here than elsewhere. I became very active in what was then known as Pokemon Fanfiction, reviewing other people's works and just helping out the current moderator by reporting anything that broke the rules. So while I was surprised when I was asked to become moderator of that section (in November 2007), it was also expected.

Becoming super moderator is an entirely different beast. When I first joined staff here, of course I wanted to move up to super mod, but I didn't really know how and thought that I wouldn't be a good fit for the role. But after spending so many years here helping PC by being active and caring about what goes on around here, I was promoted to super moderator.

It's different than what I (and apparently others, after reading posts in this thread) expected. While I have moderation controls over the entire forum, the main role of a super moderator isn't to moderate. It's to work behind the scenes more, discussing changes to the forum with the rest of h-staff. Plus, when there is standard mod work to be done in a section, it feels weird because each section is run differently and sometimes I just don't know what to do.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Well, who would refuse to rule a forum with an iron fist if he was asked to be a moderator?

I'm not made for being a moderator. Even if I'd become one in the end I'd probably overdo it, trying to do everything correct and putting a lot of pressure on me (and thus not having fun), which most of the times ends in me losing interest in the whole thing.

Fortunately there are a lot of other people who seem to have fun in moderating ^^

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    Mod, eh? Never actually thought about it. Being a mod would be great, especially in the section I visit the most such as Challenges and Culture & Media :)

But it also looks like a ton of works, having to get on daily and such, checking if nobody is breaking rules etc etc. It probably becomes some sort of chore at some point, no? xD

But I'm not sure if I'm ready or not to take a spot as a mod, seeing as I won't even know where to start as a mod here on PC, although I did mod a forum once. It was a World of Warcraft forum for my guild and I was an officer (An s-mod if you wanna talk PC) and I did pretty good then :) Ofc, there wasn't as much people there as there is here.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Well, I'll be honest:

No.

My reason being PC is a really big forum, and moderating even one forum on a big forum would intimidate me. ):

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'd take it since it'd be nice to have actual powers toward doing any good here, in a way that I would actually be able to handle comfortably. However, I'm not the sort of people-oriented personality they're really after; one has really got to be up there as a mass creator of threads at the right point in time, in many cases. I can handle moderation, and probably even decisions of site-wide consequence, but not being a real contributor to a particular sphere of subject matter. So, as for section, I would only be any good as an S-mod, given what I've said.

Rule 11: There are no real rules about moderation either - enjoy your ban.
    If you read the terms of service, you should find that is actually true. Staff are under no obligation to justify any moderative actions they take.

I do have a question though if anyone can answer; Are the mods here paid? Or is it completely voluntary?
    Fairly sure it's voluntary for all ranks. One caveat: Rukario personally receives all donation money; you'd probably have to ask him directly to find out if he actually profits off of it, though.

Last edited:
    Years
    It's funny. I used to try so hard to become a moderator for many different sections over the years. I came close a couple of times too, and had a lot of people on my side. Honestly though, if offered now, I would decline. I am no longer interested, and I have no time for it anymore with college and my life starting to become hectic with job interviews and such. Becoming a moderator is something I should have certainly been able to achieve here, but sadly I didn't and that's fine. No use in holding grudges, we all have to grow up and move on.

Years
    Well, I'll be honest:

No.

My reason being PC is a really big forum, and moderating even one forum on a big forum would intimidate me. ):
    I honestly feel it'd probably be the other way around. Small sections such as mine are okay to handle and don't require much to do, really! There isn't really a need to feel intimidated, except that you just have to show courage to your post and be respectful to other members.

I remember when I felt intimidated by PC staff back when I first joined because I made a lot of mistakes. I left PC shortly after joining because there was just so much going on and I had never been on such an active forum until I joined here. When I returned sometime last year, I never let the intimidation bother me again, and well, look at where I am now.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    Before I was chosen I didn't think I would be asked, but if I was I would gladly accept because I love to help people. So for me it was more like "yes I would like to be a mod, but I'm just going to be myself and not worry about if they pick me or not". I'm treating S-Mod the same way, but it's way too soon for me to even think about that, lol.

Well, I'll be honest:

No.

Like Zach said, don't be intimidated. I moderate one of the most active sections but I have 3 teammates to compensate for that. PC staff is one big team that helps each other. :) It's quite nice. If someone as trepidatious as me can enjoy being staff here, anyone can. ;D

Sirfetch’d

Yeah. I wanted to become a moderator. I wanted to become a moderator very badly before I got the chance to become one. There's nothing wrong with wanting to become a moderator, so if you believe there is and you want to become one, cast that aside.

I actively tried to become a moderator before that time came. I was active in all the forums that I was interested in becoming a moderator, though, so I didn't feel like a forum jumper, who jumped to the forum that needed a moderator when one did like some people did. I originally wanted to become a moderator in the tech forum. I don't know why. I'm not interested in tech as much as I seem to give the impression I am (my family always asks me technical questions that I don't know the answer to). Someone got that, so I shot for Other Entertainment. I ran the claims thread for about a month before I was modded on Christmas of 2008. And eventually I got promoted here in the Cafe (though it was called Other Voting Polls then).

After about a year and a half, I wanted to become a super moderator. I actually became very obsessed with that, but I feel like it came from a good place of genuinely wanting to contribute more to the wellbeing of the community and not simply wanting more power. I won't go into the details on that, but in August of 2010 that finally happened and it was honestly the best experience I've had on here during my entire time as a member. I never had the desire to become an assistant admin like I did for becoming a moderator or a super moderator, because I was satisfied with where I was since it had all I wanted. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunities it brought to me, and I felt like I made positive contributions to the forum during my time there. Seriously, being an smod was so ♥♥♥♥ing great. I lived off that high that you get when you get promoted for at least a year before it subsided.

Now that I've been off the staff, I do have thoughts of becoming a moderator again. But I wouldn't say I want to become one again. I did my time there, and I am glad for that.

Just wanted to say that you did a great job on staff and was one of the members that I looked up to. I'd love to see you back one day as I know you have good ideas for PC.

As for my answer to the topic, I did try to become a mod and had success! I posted around and was eventually selected to moderate this very forum. I loved it and had a ton of fun, but I overrreacted to life and resigned before I really got to make an impact on PC. Would I ever like to be staff again? Sure. Ofc I would have to earn it back and maybe one day in the future that will happen but for now I am happy as contributing as a regular member :D

Back