• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you sell your firstborn?

DunsparceMaster23

The Hand of Fire - Hinote
Years
    • Age 29
    • PA
    • Seen Dec 18, 2013
    and if they're giving me that much money, i feel like they'd absolutely be in a better position in their life - at least financially - to raise a child than i could.

I hate to say it, but you've got a great point. I'm struggling just to get another job to support myself. If I had a kid...It might just be better for everyone involved. But I'd have to at least ask the person, in GREAT detail, what he wanted the kid for, why it had to be ours, why it had to be our firstborn, etc. Honestly, if my girlfriend was okay with it, and things were looking promising...>_>

Years
  • Nope. Too shady. Much as I don't care about having kids, I wouldn't want to deal with someone like that. Besides, you know the kid is going to show up later and mess up your life, if not get you killed. Just ask King Arthur or King Lauis.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I......would rather keep my child than get meaningless money in exchange. It's my own flesh and blood, for goodness sake. All that pain I had to go through to deliver that child... All gone in the name of money. No. No matter how much that person wants to give me, nothing can be compared to a mother's love for her child.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's a very interesting predicament, especially since I wouldn't have to give birth to the child myself. As much as I'd like to say I have a definitive answer, I'd definitely let the mother make the choice, since she's the one that actually brought this hypothetical child into the world.

If for whatever reason I would be a single dad in this situation, I'd keep my child, as painful as it may be to lose out on that much money. I just don't know if I'd trust someone that would try to buy my kid, especially if I had no clue who they are. Sure, there's a chance that both me and my child would be better off in the long run because of it, but I don't know if I'd be willing to take that chance.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Holy crap, I'd pay them to take my firstborn, so if there's any way I can actually profit from it, sign me up! Is this a first-born only deal, or can I make plans for my second born as well?

Years
  • It honestly depends for me.. if it's a newborn that has some defects with it (such as a defective organ or an abnormal part on the body), then maybe.. but also, if I had a perfect child to my liking, I would rather raise it than sacrifice it for money.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • No thank you. I'd rather keep my child rather than exchanging it for pieces of paper that only humans deems important. Raising your first child yourself is an experience you'll only have once in your life. Also, wouldn't it be harder when you meet your child when he's 21 years old asking you why you traded him away for money? Showing him that to you money is more important than your own child? Worst case scenario is that he becomes pissed at you for thinking so and he ends up killing you for the lack of love he got from his biological father.

Years
  • No thank you. I'd rather keep my child rather than exchanging it for pieces of paper that only humans deems important. Raising your first child yourself is an experience you'll only have once in your life. Also, wouldn't it be harder when you meet your child when he's 21 years old asking you why you traded him away for money? Showing him that to you money is more important than your own child? Worst case scenario is that he becomes pissed at you for thinking so and he ends up killing you for the lack of love he got from his biological father.

That's when you take a couple of the $12 million and buy a predator drone.

DunsparceMaster23

The Hand of Fire - Hinote
    Years
    • Age 29
    • PA
    • Seen Dec 18, 2013
    I honestly don't understand why being a biological parent matters. Your parents are supposed to be the ones who cared for you as guardians, aren't they? If I was given up for money as a child, and I met the biological parents who did it, I wouldn't get messed up from it. Obviously they did it because they weren't ready to take on being a parent, or because they needed money that bad. Or maybe they are just ***holes. I mean, big deal. I had someone with me growing up, why should I get butt-hurt that it wasn't my biological parents? It doesn't really matter at all...

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I honestly don't understand why being a biological parent matters. Your parents are supposed to be the ones who cared for you as guardians, aren't they? If I was given up for money as a child, and I met the biological parents who did it, I wouldn't get messed up from it. Obviously they did it because they weren't ready to take on being a parent, or because they needed money that bad. Or maybe they are just ***holes. I mean, big deal. I had someone with me growing up, why should I get butt-hurt that it wasn't my biological parents? It doesn't really matter at all...

Instinctual feelings, sense of abandonment, etc. We're hardwired to have a strong bond with our parents/children; it's innate. Any deviation from that norm understandably leads to problems in a lot of people.

Unless you were given up yourself, you can't really speak on behalf of those who were. And if that did happen to you, good on you for being strong (though I'll be honest and say you sound slightly resentful, and rightfully so).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • HELL NO. I ain't about to SELL this THING that has been GROWING IN ME for nine months and ruining my body like UM NO I worked too hard baking this lil loaf of bread in my oven. You can go buy some other kid.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • (This thread is making me realizing what people would for lots of money lol.)

I'd probably wouldn't. I know I can always make more children and that 12 million is a lot of money, but a first child is special for parents. Actually I'm sure any child is special to them. I'd rather raise the kid myself with it's birth mother than have someone else raise it. I'd want to spend those 21 years with them as much as I could. I think it would be too weird to not see them after so many years. All that awkwardness and emotional tension that would came after being reunited with them all those years.

Incidentally , I asked my dad the same question and he came up with a scheme to fool the guy. (though I doubt the plan would work.) He said he'd tell the guy he can have the kid for 6 million if he was allowed to keep the child for 6 months and that the guy couldn't see or talk with him until then. Then my dad said that would be the opportunity he'd use to get to know the child and then get away from the guy as far as he could. Go to a distant place and such. I like his plan haha.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Raising your first child yourself is an experience you'll only have once in your life.

There'd be plenty of other firsts!

Also, wouldn't it be harder when you meet your child when he's 21 years old asking you why you traded him away for money?

You couuuuld just not see him and move to Fiji or something with a chunk of that $12,000,000.

Showing him that to you money is more important than your own child?

Maybe not if you show up with your second first child wearing designer clothing having had a wonderful life. :B

Worst case scenario is that he becomes pissed at you for thinking so and he ends up killing you for the lack of love he got from his biological father.

Murder is illegal.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • No way. Plus I don't know what this person is doing to my child?? Plus I doubt my child would want to see me when they're 21 once they've realised I left them for money.

Back